MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Off hand vs bench POI

Off hand vs bench POI

I rarely shoot my flintlock off a bench and was quite surprised the other week how much higher on the target my group landed . It was a full 6-7" higher than offhand at 50 yds ! I knew there was gonna be some difference but not that much at 50 yds . I was holding the forestock in my hand and my hand on rest , Rear wasn't supported except by my shoulder . Is it my technique or do others get that much variation of impact ? Fired 3 shots offhand and landed with the sights so it ain't the rifle .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

One year on the last day of inline season. I discharged my gun at a dead tree. About 30 yards away. Missed it. So i thought i knocked the scope out. The gun did fall from leaning against a tree. I benched it then. Right on target at 50 yards.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Some just shoot like that. I've never got good bench accuracy from my smoothbores. I had an Interarms 7X57 that wouldn't shoot from a bench, but was tack driving deadly off hand.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of it has to do with how the rifle recoils in the 2 different positions. Another is the harmonics of the rifle. Stock design also plays apart here. On the traditional I really have to pay attention to what Im doing while off hand is much easier.

The english found this very dominant with the big double rifles, they were way off on the bench when regulating them. A 6 X 6 post was used set in the ground and the top padded the rifle was held as offhand with the back of the forward hand buried into he padding. In this way recoil was easier to control and the rifle shot to point of aim.

Shooting off hand missing good is what keeps the groups tight

How long is your barrel?

It probably has to do with follow through, the time it takes from when the trigger is released to when the bullet exits the barrel.

Perhaps you were anticipating the shot and the rifle moved before the projectile exited the barrel.

"Do not anticipate the shot and move before and during the time the bullet is still in the barrel." --->>> https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/...ollow-through/

There's detailed explanation with a few tips here: --->>> https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...when-shooting/

Basically keep your finger on the trigger and your head on the stock for 2 full seconds after the shot.
    I suppose that a sling could always help, that's what a lot of match shooters use with non-muzzle loading guns.

Boolit Grand Master

I would think everyone's POA would be a little different accordingly. I never actually tried it myself but people often push sighting in from a bench but if that was how you are going to normally shoot, hunting in particular, that is the way you should sight in or at least do a follow up so you know where you are at.
    Aim small, miss small!

I'd have to try a 3-5 shot group both ways** to see for myself if there is a difference, or if its just my sight picture & alignment.

And as Dustin Hoffman would say from 'The Little Big Man':
    You'll also have to use all your squint eyed concentration.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    How long is your barrel?

It probably has to do with follow through, the time it takes from when the trigger is released to when the bullet exits the barrel.

Perhaps you were anticipating the shot and the rifle moved before the projectile exited the barrel.

"Do not anticipate the shot and move before and during the time the bullet is still in the barrel." --->>> https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/...ollow-through/

There's detailed explanation with a few tips here: --->>> https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...when-shooting/

Basically keep your finger on the trigger and your head on the stock for 2 full seconds after the shot.
    I suppose that a sling could always help, that's what a lot of match shooters use with non-muzzle loading guns.
    It's a 36" 7/8" atf 50 cal so not to forward heavy in comparison to most rifles like it . Yep well aware of follow through learned that when shooting Highpower when my vision was still good . Like I stated there's always some diversion in impact between bench and OH but this much at short range was an eye opener
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Sight in how you expect to hunt. Sure, use a bench to get you on paper, get a group and adjust to center. But, then shoot sitting or standing or both to check sights (and how well you are shooting these days ).

Boolit Buddy
    I usually find the opposite. Mine shoots lower off the bench, I think because of how my back is arched. When I'm standing there is less mass behind the barrel so it recoils upward while the ball is still in the barrel. From the bench the recoil is more backwards. I have noticed this with other low velocity rounds as well. Practicing from hunting positions is very important also I missed two different deer with my flintlock and could not determine why so the second time I went back to the range only to find that the big fireball by my head late in the day was inducing a flinch. This was not noticed in the afternoon but right at dark became a thing.