Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 special +P

Boolit Master

38 special +P

Just acquired over 5000 nickel plated 38 spl. Looking at head stamps, Fed, Win, mostly. Some have +P

Question I have is, what is the difference between the cases if any? Is it that the +P just have more powder?

Did notice the +P marked ones have flatter looking primers. Measured wall thickness, length, OD. All measure same.

I've purchased 38 special brass from https://www.starlinebrass.com/ in the past, and according to them, the +P on the head stamp is for the purpose of segregating your hot +P loads from your standard loads. That is the only reason, there is no other difference. The "flatter looking primers" is more than likely the result of the hotter +P having a roughly 10% powder charge increase, creating much more chamber pressure.
    Last edited by Minerat; 11-25-2020 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Please no offer to buy outside S&S.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jäger View Post
    I've purchased 38 special brass from https://www.starlinebrass.com/ in the past, and according to them, the +P on the head stamp is for the purpose of segregating your hot +P loads from your standard loads. That is the only reason, there is no other difference. The "flatter looking primers" is more than likely the result of the hotter +P having a roughly 10% powder charge increase, creating much more chamber pressure.
    Check your in box.
    Last edited by Minerat; 11-25-2020 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Removed offer to buy from quote

38 spl brass is 38 spl brass. The +P just indicates that the original factory load that was in it was a slightly hotter (+P) load. The brass is no different.

I run across a few here & there.
    The factory load for them is a little hotter and so designated with the +P stamp.
    They're marketed to law enforcement, personal defense ammo, but the cases are the same.
    I just leave 'em in the bucket, and use them with the standard ones.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I usually sort them out and use them for--surprise--+P loads. Won't lie and say I catch 'em all, but generally, if I have a handload in brass marked +P, truth in advertising laws apply. However, there is no difference other than head stamp between brass for the 38 Special and the 38 Special +P. The only 38 brass that is different is Wadcutter brass. These cases normally have a cannelure (or two) down around the middle of the case and have thinner walls.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    The "flatter looking primers" is more than likely the result of the hotter +P having a roughly 10% powder charge increase, creating much more chamber pressure.
    The +P rating means the cartridge is loaded to roughly 10% higher chamber pressures, which may OR MAY NOT be due to a 10% increase in charge weight. As a matter of fact, it's most likely due to a smaller increase in charge weight, and could very well be a different propellant and charge weight, entirely. The only certainty is that the chamber pressure will be ~10% over standard pressure specs. There may be minimal or no actual increase in velocity, particularly if a different propellant is used.

Parenthetically, I'VE gone to just coloring the headstamps and/or primers some "hot" color (red, orange, yellow), and not sorting +P from standard cases.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzleebear View Post
    38 spl brass is 38 spl brass. The +p just indicates that the original factory load that was in it was a slightly hotter (+p) load. The brass is no different.
    /\ this /\

Cast Boolits Owner

I received the same story from them many years ago when I ask the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jäger View Post
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I'm going to take all of your words for this, that there is no difference in .38 Spec. brass....BUT, in the distant past I worked for an agency that issued +P+ WCC ammo. I still have lots of the brass (and some of the factory loads), nickel plated and head stamped mid-'80s and it seems thicker and to take a bit more effort to resize. Also, later, I worked for the USAF and legitimately acquired a bunch of their brass that was headstamped WCC, mostly late '70s. This was the 110 gr. loading with just a little of the nose of the FMJ bullet sticking out of a heavily roll crimped case. Some lots had crimped primers, some did not. Again, it seems thicker. Maybe one of these long cold winter nights I'll break out the calipers and do some measuring.

Boolit Master
    HP-38 0.357" 1.455" 3.6 661 12,600 CUP 4.3 779 15,900 CUP 4.6 807 18,100 CUP

Okay, here's an example, if a clumsy one, of what I'm talking about. Anytime one assumes that 10% more propellant means 10% more pressure, they're tempting fate.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Kosh is right, +P is about pressure increase, not powder or velocity. .38 spl standard max. pressure is 17,000 psi and +P is 20,000 psi which is actually a 17% increase.

Here is a good write up by Chuck Hawks https://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_P_ammo.htm

And if you really want to geek out the SAMMI data for all the pistol calibers https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

Banned
    The OP was asking about the case markings, "Question I have is, what is the difference between the cases if any?"

Boolit Master
    See post #4. +P on the brass simply tells you what the factory load was.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Banned
    Or post #8 ............

Boolit Buddy
    My observation is that standard .38 special cases and +P cases weigh the same.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'm going to take all of your words for this, that there is no difference in .38 Spec. brass....BUT, in the distant past I worked for an agency that issued +P+ WCC ammo. I still have lots of the brass (and some of the factory loads), nickel plated and head stamped mid-'80s and it seems thicker and to take a bit more effort to resize. Also, later, I worked for the USAF and legitimately acquired a bunch of their brass that was headstamped WCC, mostly late '70s. This was the 110 gr. loading with just a little of the nose of the FMJ bullet sticking out of a heavily roll crimped case. Some lots had crimped primers, some did not. Again, it seems thicker. Maybe one of these long cold winter nights I'll break out the calipers and do some measuring.
    The brass you mention is indeed thicker in the walls. I no longer have the measurements around to post but it most certainly was.
    Just like most Remington 38 Special brass is thinner in the walls.
    Anytime I fine some of that WCC brass I set it aside. I don't use it for my normal loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    The .38 +P+ ammo is/was loaded to .357 Mag velocities and pressures. This was a ploy used by LE agencies to give them .357 performance while LEGALLY still using .38 Special ammo. The logic was that they would be subject to fewer legal actions by doing this.

The WCC military brass is significantly thicker than standard .38 Spl brass. When loaded to normal .38 Spl pressures, they will last for a very long time. In a previous life I had access to large quantities of M41 .38 Spl Ball ammo. It was low-powered, inaccurate, and very inconsistent. The brass was worth keeping and reloading; that and the ammo cans were the best parts of the ammo!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Yeah, that stuff is thicker but it's not commercial brass. I refer to it as milspec brass as it was produced for the military. I've see it in RA, LC, FC, WCC, TZZ and maybe some I've missed. Being frugal, I never throw brass away but I've found if it is trimmed it loads all right (lengths all over the map). It is thicker and usually gives the snake swallowing the egg appearance with loaded rounds but the darn stuff lasts forever. When I was in the Army, the Private Owned Weapons range was full of it that had been liberated for off duty use and I didn't let it slide.

In researching for my Castpics article on high speed .38 Special loads. I found it in writing somewhere that you guys are right. The + P was for the initial load and the brass is the same. I was kinda interested in the pressures the brass was designed for and apparently there is no difference. That was to protect all the old wartime Colts and S & Ws that may encounter hotter ammo./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The brass you mention is indeed thicker in the walls. I no longer have the measurements around to post but it most certainly was.
    Just like most Remington 38 Special brass is thinner in the walls.
    Anytime I fine some of that WCC brass I set it aside. I don't use it for my normal loads.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I always segregate my brass by head stamp. I like it that brass comes with variety. I can make various loads using different brass and know what is what even out of the box. +p brass might be the same as other brass but what other brass. Over time even brass from the same manufacturer has slightly different head stamps. The size and position of the lettering changes. Hell, Rem 7.62 x 37 brass could be small primer or large primer.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast