Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
PBcastcoReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40-70 for Long Range

Are you talk in’ black powder? That’s amazin’

Boolit Master

I hadn't looked for 40-70 brass in awhile, but now I see that it isn't all that easy to come by like you guys pointed out. The last time I looked, it seemed like it was easy enough to find but not now. I have a lathe that could be used to trim the 405 brass but that would be a PIA for several hundred pieces.
    I have a Shiloh in 40-50SS and I was thinking it would be easy enough to send it back to them and have a 40-70 reamer run into the chamber. Now it appears that the brass is the bigger issue.
    I appreciate all of the replies. I knew there would be good info here and there was. I have an appointment with the eye Doc in a couple days. I'll know then if the problem is glasses or cataracts.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Actually you might be better off to have them either ream it to 40-65, or 40-70 bn. The 40-65 propably the best bet, as it really doesn't give up much to the 40-70 ss.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Bob,
    I would pick up those Hornady .405 cases. I don't know if Hornady will make another run of them or not. That is fine bass for the .40-70.
    Trimming those cases is not a problem with one of these little saws https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-m...saw-62136.html You can go through 100 cases using this little mewl for trimming cases. I have trimmed several thousand cases and still use the same blade. This saw is a little higher in cost since I got one but it out performs all trimmers I have.
    Just make your self a hard wood block with a V or round bottom and lay the case on it till the rim makes contact with the block and cut.
    I used to trim using my lathe but I saw this little saw in Harbor freight and I picked it up. It has worked fine for several years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	272449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2738.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	272450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2741.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	272451
    https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-m...saw-62136.html

Boolit Buddy
    I take my Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 out to 600 yds weekly at my gun club. My bullet of choice to get there is the 535 Postel with 65 gr of Swiss 1.5F and a .030 poly wad. Typically scoring the 7,8,9 rings (and im not that good of a shooter, still learning BPCR).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12