MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Seating Die .38-55 WIN????

Boolit Master

Seating Die .38-55 WIN????

I need a good bullet seating die. The bullet seating die (RCBS) is't working good, doesn't like cast bullets, works great with the other type! What is a very good CAST seating die for .38-55? I reload for a Browning High Wall and a Marlin Lever Gun. The High Wall I load long to put as much Black Powder as I can. The lever gun is loaded to spec OAL so it cycles. I use 2 different bullets, the High Wall shoots best with a 335 gr bullet, lever gun at 250-270 gr. High Wall bullet is RN, Lever gun RNFP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1FD32100-9FE6-4AA9-B62F-F1590179F1B8.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	272041I use the standard seating die from RCBS for a 260grain lead with good results. But, I believe that there is a Cowboy set made by RCBS that is specifically designed for lead bullets.

I made a new flat faced seating stem for my regular RCBS die and it works like a champ. Most cast bullets are flat on the end so it fits all of them.

Boolit Master

What "isn't working good" with your seating die? I seat all my .38-55s using the seating punch for a .38/.357 wadcutter and taper crimp only enough to remove the slight flare from my (NOE) expander plug.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I have an old 1960's Lyman die set for this cartridge. It's seating stem is for #449, which covers the #375248, #375296 & #375449. All flat nose bullets.
    The #375248 & #375449GC both work well in a Win 94 .38-55(Chief Crazy Horse) a Marlin 1894CB & Pedersoli High Wall.

GunShows are great places to find old dies, which often work better then New made stuff. At a GunShow you can really inspect the dies, see what you're getting.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    My Pb RN for the High Wall comes out with a ring around the nose even with the RN punch in the die. I am at my wits end so decided I need a new die for cast bullets as mine seems tight for what I load. Just started loading the .38-55. I do load the .45-70 and have not had this problem. I use a compression die and .060 wad. Not using the bullet to compress with. The bullet goes into the case easy so should not be marking bullet.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My Pb RN for the High Wall comes out with a ring around the nose even with the RN punch in the die.
    Easy Fix ... pull the plug - fill the cavity with hot glue - spit on the bullet nose - twist it in the hot glue - scrap the excess glue off the plug rim - put it back in the die - re-adjust for seating depth ... Perfect bullet ogives
    Been doing this for years. Same works with Lyman H&I dies
    Regards
    John