Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 colt ruger only mold

Boolit Master

45 colt ruger only mold

Searching for another mold for my 45 bisley.whats the most accurate mold youve found,at max,near max velocity?
    I use a 255 gr lyman swc,,but it cast under size, read alot about the 270 rcbs,,who makes the best clone?thanks,mark.

Boolit Master

Accurate must make a 270 rcbs copy,but does anybody know what the mold number is?mp is sold out.

Boolit Master

Have you tried 10 grains of Unique with the 255 grain Lyman bullet?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ds-for-45-Colt

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    The 45-270SAA is a wonderful mold. I have about 6 of them. I have the 45 Colt Ruger only, but have never cast it. It's in the "NIB maybe one day" section.
    Get a SAA, for sure though, no matter what you choose in the end. I think it's all about the person which profile you like. I love the SWC profiles, but I do think the WFNs shoot better, especially when shot fast. But a SWC just looks so good in a Peacemaker. And it's plenty accurate too. I've never had a side-by-side shoot of them.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I use a noe 454-280 wfn in my bisley. To me, it seems more like a lfn. It is too long for my m-25. It is my hunting bullet in my bisley and my marlin 1894. Shoots great over 8.5 grains of unique, or 18.0 grains of 2400.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

Ya,,boolit shoots pretty well,but it is undersized,,even sent it back to lyman,,and now its front band is .4525,,but the 2 lower bands are .451...drives me nuts.

Boolit Master

It looks like NOE has a 2 cavity for sale. I'm pretty sure it's this mold. https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...5-270-saa-rcbs

Boolit Master
    My favorite all round load that I'm really liking is an LBT style 300 grain WFN with 13 grains of HS-6. Out of my Linebaugh tuned 5 1/2 Bisley shoots like it as eyes.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My design for heavy-bullet Ruger loads is Accurate 45-290H, 295 grains in wheelweight alloy.

7.5 grains of Bullseye gives 855 fps in 4-5/8" revolver, 960 fps in 10" Contender pistol. Same load in a 20-inch carbine is 1050 fps almost like Eley Tenex on steroids and a great thumper for use with a "can."
    Pressure slightly exceeds SAAMI MAP for the .45 Colt, but is very comfortably within safe design limits for the H&R Handi Rifles, the flat-top Vaqueros, etc., <18,000 psi.

Larry Gibson's pressure tests data from Contender pistol:

Attachment 272038Attachment 272039
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-24-2020 at 01:20 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have shot the COLT SAA - 4 3/4bbl, Ruger Blkhwk - 4 5/8bbl, Ruger Vaquero - 7 1/2bbl and New Vaquero - 5 1/2bbl side by side. Using a Lee 230gr TC sized in a .454 Lubesizer die which only lubed the Bullet with 50/50. Loaded over 5.0grs of Clays in the .45Colt case:
    Old Vaquero was hands down winner; 2 1/4" 5shot group at 25yrds. March 2007 Alloy was probably #2/COWW - 50/50.
    I had better eyes and a lot better hands back then.
    Neither the New Vaquero nor Colt SAA would take the RCBS 270SAA or bullets dropped from my #452424 2cav molds. Too long an O.A.L.
    And I won't crimp over the front driving band.
    Never tried the other Colt SAA, Ruger (Original) Bisley, other Old Vaquero or any of my 3 clones in a shoot off.
    But both those SWC's would group close to 2" in the Bisley with Max Colt Loads.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned

I've been using a Lee 300 grain in my Blackhawk Bisley with excellent results! Lee 300 grain with a gas check.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried to powder coat the undersized boolits?

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
    Searching for another mold for my 45 bisley.whats the most accurate mold youve found,at max,near max velocity?
    I use a 255 gr lyman swc,,but it cast under size, read alot about the 270 rcbs,,who makes the best clone?thanks,mark.
    I've used the 45 270 SAA RCBS mould with good results. Easy to make a decent pile of bullets before the pot runs down and they shoot well from my Linebaugh tuned Bisley that I lapped. But. It's a plain base mould and I limit myself in pressure and velocity, though maybe I shouldn't.

For max loads, especially if you haven't yet, try an LBT mould. I have some older Lyman one holers that drop good bullets when hot, but nothing makes keeping a pot full trouble like an LBT 4 holer. Pre-heat, and you have an empty pot with a pile of perfect bullets from drop one in short order. Not disparaging NOE, which I have a bunch of, Accurate, etc. but I haven't used any other mould that drops bullets like the LBT. And everyone copies his nose shape/meplats anyway, so just get the original. My 453-300-WFN fits my cylinder throats perfectly and as Don Purcell said, shoots like it has eyes. Run it with HS-6 or any other mid rate powder with good results, but stoke full power with H110 and it is even better.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

Never had a thing to do with the powder coat stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
    Never had a thing to do with the powder coat stuff.
    LIKE !
    I'm with mainiac ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I don't fool with PC, either.

I feed our BH, only two different bullets. The RCBS 250 PB, that drops bullets at .452 diameter or the MP clone of the 270 SSA. The MP clone drops bullets at .454 diameter. It was also my first HP mould.

Accurate doesn't offer HP moulds. NOE is the only other option, but I don't care for his RG pin arrangement. I prefer pins on the side of the mould, rather than the bottom.

The 250 RCBS has taken whitetail deer, haven't hunted with the 270 MP, as yet. I'm sure it will preform. The BH is wifey's hunting pistol, but she doesn't hunt anymore.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

I'm partial to the 45-300-LFN as made by Veral for my 454 Casull.Attachment 272216Attachment 272217
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Hollow points we don't need no stinkin hollowpoints. Go to accutatemolds.com pic a design from his catalog or email him and he can help you with the design. Pick a lbt style with a wide meplat around 300gr + or - a few and you'll see you never need a hollow point again

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    Hollow points we don't need no stinkin hollowpoints. Go to accutatemolds.com pic a design from his catalog or email him and he can help you with the design. Pick a lbt style with a wide meplat around 300gr + or - a few and you'll see you never need a hollow point again

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    Could say the same thing about 300 grain bullets..............

Winelover

Boolit Master
    When I first saw this thread I was under the impression that the OP was referring to a specific mold that MP makes. It's called the "MP 45 Ruger Only" and couldn't think of it as an economical plinking bullet. I've got one and it casts as all of my other MP molds do, fantastic. However it likes to be pushed in my Bisley that I bought it for and a 310 grain bullet eats up some lead from the pot and at 1000+ fps, makes you take notice.

My best 45 mold is an Accurate Molds 280 grain LFN style (45-280C) and it has been a winner in every 45 it has been shot out of to include my FA83 454. In the 454 I installed PBGC's and stepped on it some. The bullets still landed more or less on top of each other. It can be loaded with 13 grains of HS6 in 45 Colt cases and be enjoyable to shoot or loaded with 22 grains + of H110 and get jumpy. Either way the bullet likes it.