MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Question About Marbles Tang Sight

Boolit Master

Question About Marbles Tang Sight

Does anyone know if you can change the stem on these tang sights. I called Marbles but they don't have time to talk to anybody. Covid 19 you know.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I've never seen them listed anywhere separately.

Of the places I shop that carry them, they offer different aperture discs, but not stems.
    If Midway or Brownell's doesn't carry them, they're probably not to be had without dealing with the factory.

It seems like the base & Stem are sized & drilled for a particular rifle.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I got a shorter stem for that sight from Midway 2 years ago. Put a soft gun mat or towel down before you try the swap. When you remove the tiny plug screw from the wide part of the knurled barrel there's 7 tiny steel balls inside that fall out of that hole as you turn the barrel. Once all the balls fall out there's a tiny coil spring under that barrel that can launch as you lift the barrel off. I'm sure there's video on YouTube to help you out.

I shoot rifle silhouette with my original Marlin '94 32-20 and rolled the dice and bought a sight with the highest staff. I like to turn the staff down to dead bottom before competition and it took 5 1/2 turns back up to chicken setting. I switched to the medium staff and it took about 1/2 turn or about 4 clicks. Much better.

Boolit Master
    Thanks bosterr. Someone posted an ad on E-bay for three stems and they sold for $54 and change. I couldn't bid since I never joined their merry group. I did call Marbles but got no where. After you remove the set screw and bearings, does the stem simply lit out?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

There's a very small cross pin in a through hole in the bottom end of the threaded shaft that will easily slide out through the same plug screw hole. Swapping stems isn't hard, you just need to go slow in disassembly and watch for little things wanting to crawl away. I have a gun mat with a surface like felt. Anything that falls on it doesn't go far. I believe I saw on the Marbles site a repair kit that has all the tiny things you'll run into. No doubt for anyone unfortunate enough to lose some things.

Boolit Master

A number of years ago I contacted them about a product the new owner had little knowledge of the old products at all ,he also bought out poly choke which at one time made the hunters guide compass that is installed in a rifle stock he knew nothing of them .
    I go by the physical address in Michigan's U.P. on my way to Wisconsin it is mostly archery equipment and looked closed the last couple years.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    For things that launch parts on disassembly, try working with the item inside a clear plastic "leaf" bag.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Encountered same issue several years ago and, like the OP, hit a total dead end trying to connect with Marble's. However, Marble's website gives a complete listing of sights/bases for almost all popular rifles. Also has the part numbers (and ordering procedure) for repair/replacement parts. Major issue may be the age of the sight in question...all information on the Marble's website is for their "improved" model tang sights with no support offered for any of the earlier variants.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/693312b7f182...&alloworigin=1
    Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

the Improved Marbles tang sight has a set screw in the block at the base of the stem ( not the set screw on the stem itself ) its hard to tell from pic but if it has a set screw the stem can be changed with different length ones.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    It has a set screw and the sight looks like a recent Mfg. bosterr, would you be interested in trading or selling the long stem, that is if you don't use it? It ay be too long for my needs as well but it may be worth a try. My computer has been out for several days and will be out for several more. If I don't answer right away you will know why. Curses to Frontier.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 11-26-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Mine is not the improved model.

In the middle of September I fell on the outside basement steps and dislocated my left ankle and haven't been down there since. I can't load or cast at all and feel pretty helpless these days. I know I still have some Marble parts down there, I just can't take the chance of having a dire setback. If you can hold off until after the first of the year I may be able to have a look see. Now that I think about it, I probably bought the shorter staff from Brownells but a lot of the Marbles stuff is out of stock.

So sorry... I know that's not what you want to hear. If you're like me you'd like to get this resolved. As if that's not enough, my wife brought Covid home from work and I have that to deal that as well. It seems her recovery is about a week ahead of mine. So far it's like a bad head cold.

Bob

Boolit Master
    bosterr, I am so sorry to hear about your health problems. I do hope you and your wife recover soon. When you do get better just send me a message. The Marbles sight is a great design and doesn't cost a fortune like some others I could name. I wish they could get the company up and running. Thanks, Glen

Will do.