Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load development for a Charter Arms Bulldog

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    @onelight, Check the headspace on your bulldog. I think you can do it with automotive type feeler gauges in a pinch or buy proper gauges.

@Good Cheer, I'm going to be rolling up a 200g WC load at about 750 ft/s from my bulldog. I'll test it against some water jugs within the next month.

Later,
    Stephen
    That should be a great bullet for the Bulldog.
    I actually tried a cylinder shim kit on it and with the thinnest shim it was to tight
    I would reeealy like it to work I may have to send it in and see if CA can get it working. I bought it used and probably have more in it than if I had ordered a new one. As it is I would not sell it or trade it . So it's mine working out or not.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Anyone tested .44 wadcutters for penetration on winter outdoor wear?
    I haven't done any testing, but unless you're throwing those wadcutters, there's no amount of winter wear I'd feel safe behind.

I believe we all know infamously, son of sam was probably 80% or more effective with most likely store bought Remington or Winchester factory round nose ammo. Has anyone chronoed that load? I am guessing close to 700 FPS with the 246 round nose.

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna follow LEDs lead and do a water jug test on some of the RimRock and my own Lee and MP 44 WCs out of my 3" doggie, if I can find something to approximate 'heavy winter clothing'. I have some drive belt that ATB fibreglas or nylon. So far whatever pistol load I've shot at the rolled up belt has stopped imbedded into the second layer (!). I may be able to drag up an old canvas tarp.
    Ed <>><

Boolit Grand Master
    I will say that wadcutters easily penetrate any amount of clothing.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I just load them up to where they're deadly at 30 feet. In SD mode you'll never feel the recoil.

Boolit Buddy
    (Edited with some correction)

I have new chronograph data from the Bulldog.

First load is a RimRock 200g solid wadcutter, 4.3g Trail Boss, WSP, PMC Brass.

20 round string, Ave 684 Ft/s, ES 72 ft/s, SD 15 ft/s, 207 lbs/ft.

Why trail boss you ask, no real reason, I just wanted to try it and see if I could hit my velocity target of 700 ft/s. The load shot very well and is so close to my 700 ft/s target. The boolit was crimped in the crimp groove which put the slug very deep in the case. Next batch I won't seat as deep and up the charge just a little bit.

Next is a RimRock 185g SWCHP with 7.3 g Trail Boss

9 round string (The chronograph missed one), 778 ft/s Ave, ES 60 ft/s, SD 22 ft/s, 248 ft/lbs.

This load also shot very well and exceeded my velocity target. Recoil on this load was more than the 200g load but still within my tolerance. The RimRock SWCHP has a huge cavity. It would be interesting to see if it would expand at these speeds.

Notes:

Both loads were at 100% load density.
    Burn for both loads was nice and clean.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Last edited by Led; 12-31-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Great thread
    I just bought a 45 ACP Pitbull, all steel nitride finish and recoil with 230 grain ball is brutal! Been a week and right thumb is still sore. Anyone have a suggestion for a medium weight low velocity load for this gun? 200 to 250 lead bullets @ 600+ FPS would I think be ideal. Have a Redding Profile Crimp die for 45AR so bullets can be well crimped regardless of type.

Boolit Buddy
    Recoil gets out of control fast with the big bore Charters. I'd like to help but I haven't loaded for 45acp in 15 years.

Thanks for joining in.

Stephen

Boolit Grand Master
    For the 45 ACP, 4 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot if you wish. Will work with the bullet weights mentioned.

At a given velocity, doubling bullet weight increases recoil four times, so it can be seen why increasing bullet weight 25 percent makes a load significantly less pleasant. Lighter bullets do what is needed if the bullet is nonexpanding and well shaped for impact.

Moderator Emeritus

Living in SW MT my use of the Bulldog would be 4 legged creatures. I shot the Skeeter load when I owned one and it was accurate @ 25 yards. I didn't shoot it a lot but recoil, twist and second shot recovery were all OK. I prefer a 245 gr + bullet in my 44's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    Great thread
    I just bought a 45 ACP Pitbull, all steel nitride finish and recoil with 230 grain ball is brutal! Been a week and right thumb is still sore. Anyone have a suggestion for a medium weight low velocity load for this gun? 200 to 250 lead bullets @ 600+ FPS would I think be ideal. Have a Redding Profile Crimp die for 45AR so bullets can be well crimped regardless of type.
    Take a look at 45 auto rim data my speer manuals list dat for lower vel. Loads than the non rimmed 45 auto. BTW is the 45 pit bull the same size as the 44 bulldog ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, Pitbull and Bulldog are the same size.

Boolit Master
    Here is a 45 pit Bull review that shows some of the dimension differences in the 38 , 44 and 45 CA.
    https://rifleshooter.com/2015/07/the...45-acp-review/

Boolit Buddy
    Have tried loading 240 and 255 grain 45 Colt bullets in 45ACP brass for the Pitbull and had serious miss fires and light primer strikes. Did use the Redding crimp die to lock down the bullets thinking that the extractors would control head space correctly like a moon clip. Didn't work out.

Then tried loading 180 grain lead SWCs with a 6 grain load of Unique and standard large pistol Winchester primers correctly hand seated. Used fresh single use brass all within minimum length, sized, expanded and seated bullets with Hornady dies on a single stage press and crimped using Hornady taper crimp die to a mouth diameter of 0.472" (more or less standard). Still having light strikes and miss fires but not as bad and all loads fired on second or third try. Have been reloading over 25 years and have never had this many problems with any loads (except for 10mm after reusing brass 10 times with full house loads!). The factory loads I tried did work fine but the intent is to load with a light charge and light to medium weight bullet to lower the recoil in this relatively light weight gun. Any good guesses?

Boolit Buddy
    I'd suspect the gun not the load. Wolff gun springs makes XP hammer springs for the Bulldog. I'm not sure if it would fit in the Pitbull. A quick email to Wolff could resolve that question. You're other option would be to contact Charter and send the weapon in for service. My Bulldog's barrel was slightly out of time when I got it. It caused point of impact to be left of center. I sent it in and they took care of the problem.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Boolit Master
    Here is some 44 spec data from a 21/2" CA a 3" gp100 and a 45/8 Ruger Bisley. Starline cases , WW primers .
    5.2 grains Red Dot . Hi-Tek .430 SNS 200 rnfp , roll crimped in crimp groove . 21/2" , 773 SD 13.1
    3" 800 FPS SD 6.8 , 45/8 860 FPS SD 14.6
    With a Hi-Tek Summers .430 , 240 SWC 4.6 grains Red Dot , 21/2" 688 FPS SD 14.8 , 3" 690 FPS SD 6.8 , 45/8 759 FPS SD 7.6
    Last edited by onelight; 01-06-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, mine too is slightly out of time so I agree, I will send it back to the Factory. The trigger is fairly good on this gun as is so I am hesitant at adding the XP springs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12