Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
PBcastcoRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My ongoing quest for a 'perfect for me' 327 rifle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I would look at a barrel for a Contender first as that would be the easiest, second would be a Ruger #1. Tim at Malcolm Ballistic Tools re-barreled my #1 and did a great job. Third would be a Thompson TCR ('83 has double set triggers) and have "Assassin" here do a stub job on it. Don't forget the Handi for a stub job too. I am thinking of going that route.
    I don't like any of those options because they are either break actions or have an underlever.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

What I would recommend and actually do with these projects is start with a pencil and paper. Sit down and list the uses for the rifle, intended ranges, and size of critters if hunting. Next list possible rifle actions.Type make model style. List available barrels, here dont scrimp its the heart. next list the sights available and other parts available. Now research everything and reduce the list to what you want and can afford.

As to actions c sharps sell a low wall and high wall bare action. matini cadets make a nice light litte rifle, A rolling block. There are many out there. Another way to stretch you dollar is a used rifle for the base. Here the stock may even be reused for awhile

Get everything down on paper and plan it thru before starting it. Then talk to gunsmith about it and get his ideas. then Order the parts yourself. have everything ready to go when you take it to smith, this saves him the time of ordering parts and waiting on them.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-3-57035-PB180009.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	272109 Built as a pistol here, but could be built as a rifle. Saved from the Home Gunsmithing forum about eight years ago. Lots of pictures but no drawings. It is a falling block but without a lever to open the block. Just push the block down with your thumb. Could add a lever or just a hook or loop on the bottom of the block to make it a little easier to open. Would require a mill and lathe, though a mexican mill (drill and files) would do if you were a patient person.

Found the thread, this page shows the beginning of the breech block. It has ears on the bottom to grasp to pull the block down. It is a 19 page thread about a 22 Hornet build. There is another thread by the same builder about a 38 Special rifle build on the similar design action, I may find it a little later.

Can't see a way to delete the attached thumbnail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post-3-10158-P9160016.jpg  
    Last edited by ulav8r; 11-26-2020 at 01:35 AM.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I agree with Mr. Knowles, this screams rolling block! How about a Win. 1873 .327 instead of .357? How would one alter the magazine? bushing?....Marlin 1891 in .32 RF / CF altered to .327. Maybe not, weak lockup.

Boolit Bub
    if we are talking custom i all ways thought the freedom arms model 2008 in a carbine rifle would make a nice small light weight rifle.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-30-94048-GEDC0094.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	272422 You might want to add a forearm or make some other changes.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Oh, that looks NICE! Light and tiny, I like it.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Vendor Sponsor

I don't know who put out that the Ruger77/357's were not accurate? The only Review I have seen that I would trust is the one from Brian Pearce of Rifle Magazine and both the .357 and .44 mags produced MOA accuracy at 75 yards with iron sights. These guns are 125-150 yard guns max and so would a .327 Fed be as well. Plus that Brian and his sons actually know how to shoot,,, so their results with any gun are going to be about as good as you could expect.

I think the easiest way to make this project happen would be to use a 77/.357 and re-barrel it, and rework the bolt face. The Magazine would probably work just fine, and you'd be up and running in less time and money than any other route I can conceive of.

I have wanted one of the 77/44's for some time but just never got around to getting one. A Red Dot Sight would be my choice of an optic for that gun due to the range limitations of the cartridges and the fact that I can hit out to 300 yards with all of my .223 Carbines with Red Dots installed. Hitting a man sized target at 200 yards with a Bolt Action Rifle in .327,.357,or .44 mags would not be that hard a shot after you had the Trajectory sussed out.

I can see a definite use for a gun like this. You just have to decide how you want to do it.

I'd get a stainless one so it'd be weather proof!

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12