Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 6.5 Arisaka

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

6.5 Arisaka

I have a new to me type 38 , it came with about 30 new factory Norma 139 gr loaded rounds . Upon looking this over and under the presumption that it's close to right it seems to me that for 7-30 Waters class loads turning rims on 30-30 and trim is going to be a lot easier than forcing 35 Rem or 308 into submission and definitely less expensive than new Norma or special order PPU either ammo or brass .

Having turned some to fit a 32 Rem it's not to difficult to do . Obviously I need to go shoot a few rounds and/or cast the chamber I might be better off with a 260 Rem die set than the 1967 6.5 Japanese set .

To turn 30-30 rims or to not ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    My Type 38 had been reamed to use the 6.5x.257 Roberts by the time I traded into it, so I can only give guesses.

Since you have the cases in hand, and can compare measurements; if you think it will work, try one to find out.

When doing trials of this sort, I would work one or two cases completely through the process first, before I do a whole bag of 50 or 100. Also expect some losses in the learning curve.

Good Luck,

Robert

That wouldn't work out for me ...... I only have dies for 6.5 Japanese , 257 and 6.5-257 AI dies .

I guess I'll know for sure after the first round . It does feed the live Norma like it's supposed to . I actually have 30-30 pick up brass with the new move so there's hope .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Type 30 Arisaka in 6.5x50.
    It has a head space problem.
    Lots of blowback.
    Bolts are almost impossible to find, and I'm not sure it would help.
    Was thinking of setting the barrel back, but a reamer cost is not in my budget.
    I made the shells out of 303 Brit. cut down the rim diameter just enough it fit.
    Solved the head space problem.
    No more blow back.
    I'm sure 30.30 would work also.
    Probably be easier as less to trim.

Boolit Master
    making them into 257 ROBERTS was done a lot by the vets who returned with them for hunting.

Boolit Master
    I mane my 25 CAL. 6.5 JAP out of 220 SWIFT. not a problem, just run them into the JAP. dies and trim to length.

Boolit Man
    Midway has it right now at $30 for 50 cases:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021445239

A 6.5 Creedmoor reamer could make life easier if the bore is good.

Boolit Master
    If you can't find 6.5 Jap brass, the 220 Swift is about the closest for reforming.

I went back and looked again 30-30 is .02 short .

I tried a piece of new 257 brass and it stops with a "ring" around the case at .465 a long way from the .445 expected by the Norma ammo , 31 rounds .

Looks like shooting will have to happen before I can make anymore speculations .

Heck of a way for me to become "one of the cool kids" , reaming to 6.5 CM that is . Funny thing with all that extra case capacity and 7kpsi over CIP limits the CM only gets 200-250 fps ....... I know the Arisakas are strong but I have to question a steady diet of 62 kpsi ammo 260 Rem might be a safer answer .

Hello Harter66,

If Midway has the Brass for $0.60 each, why bother with anything else?

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy
    I must be missing something here. Yes, .30-30 rims can be turned down to size and yes .30-30 brass is shorter. No mention of 6.5 Jap being ~ .447" ahead of the rim while .30-30 is .421?

Boolit Master
    MostlyLeverGuns, thanks' for the come back. I don't have a 220 SWIFT, but have BOCOUU BRASS for it, and that is the use I found for it. I guess that you use it also?

Boolit Master
    I as well know it can be bought, but us old timers like to REPOURSE ITEMS / BRASS into something usable.

Boolit Buddy
    In recent years the PPU 6.5 brass has be pretty easy to find. A number of years ago I need 6.5 Japanese brass and reformed 35 Rem brass that I had on hand easily. One pass through a 308 die and then into the 6.5 Japanese die.

Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    I must be missing something here. Yes, .30-30 rims can be turned down to size and yes .30-30 brass is shorter. No mention of 6.5 Jap being ~ .447" ahead of the rim while .30-30 is .421?
    Exactly, it won't work. You're correct.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Guys, you also need to slug the barrel. Most of the 6.5 Arisakas have a .268 bore not a .264.
    It wouldn't be a big deal with cast, but jword would need like Hornady .268.
    I had mine rebarreled to a .264 barrel and in 6.5X257.
    In my next to worthless opinion, it was worth every penny, especially since Timney makes replacement triggers with a safety for them.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

I discovered by error in review of cartridge dimensions .

Yes Midway has PPU brass available .

Barrel dia isn't a big deal for me I have several 266??? and an NOE 270-140 . If for some reason I can't get it done with those I have 3-4 .277-.279 moulds also .

If it comes to chamber/barrel work I have options , 6.5 CM , 260 Rem , 6.5-257 & AI , and 6.5 06' . For the same money as a new barrel I could get this one opened to 7mm for a host of 7 mm carts . I do have a 243 , 270 and a wildcat 7mm take off barrels and a 257 R short chambered LR Mauser new barrel so it's just a matter of getting them lopped off threaded and rechambered in whatever .

In my wandering I found that the CM only has 200 fps on the Arisaka .