MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Kentucky flint works flints

Kentucky flint works flints

Anyone ever buy flints from them ? List them as hand knapped at a buck a flint ? I've gotten flints from a place called Neolithics sorta the same find of operation and they were great flints and the same price a buck each but since they went crazy with their prices .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

No, but I'm going to take a look!

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy

https://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com/flints/

I like their French honey colored flints.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I tried a batch of Rich Pierce's Burlington Chert flints. Good price, they worked.

But.

I got a LOT more wear on the frizzen than with English or French flints. Chert is harder, and I suspect that is what the Kentucky flints are, as true flint is rare in this country. So if you try them, keep an eye on your frizzen, and watch for any deterioration.

I'd also tried out Texas grey flint, and it is also a frizzen eater.

Something else with the Burlington Chert, they didn't last nearly as long as the import flints. 50-60 shots tops. With the imports, I get a minimum of 120 shots, and have got close to 200 shots with some. This takes a lock with good geometry, and knowledge of how to properly knap a flint.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Yeah I'd call 11 bucks for 2 flints expensive

October Country sells English flints for $2 each.--->>> https://www.octobercountry.com/flints-english/
    Also French and German for more $.

RMC sells English flints in various quantities. --->>> https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/quality-english-flints/

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I tried a batch of Rich Pierce's Burlington Chert flints. Good price, they worked.

But.

I got a LOT more wear on the frizzen than with English or French flints. Chert is harder, and I suspect that is what the Kentucky flints are, as true flint is rare in this country. So if you try them, keep an eye on your frizzen, and watch for any deterioration.

I'd also tried out Texas grey flint, and it is also a frizzen eater.

Something else with the Burlington Chert, they didn't last nearly as long as the import flints. 50-60 shots tops. With the imports, I get a minimum of 120 shots, and have got close to 200 shots with some. This takes a lock with good geometry, and knowledge of how to properly knap a flint.
    I agree , the batch I have now are white, gray and tan chert . Nice flints and seem to last a decent amount of shots in my lock but Do notice they scar it up more than the black English . The chert seems a lot my sparky for me compared to the English I got from track . Had an LR lock about 10 yds ago that would barely spark with the black flint but was like July 4th with chert . My frizzen is needing re soled and I don't shoot near as much as I used to so I'm not loosing sleep over it