RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: grendel brass

Boolit Mold

grendel brass

has anyone here had any luck finding any grendel brass? finding it hard to locate such a boutique round lol. its cheap in already assembled ammo but casings are the same price as assembled.

Boolit Buddy
    My understanding is that it can be easily formed from 7.62x39 brass, which is plentiful. Run it into your Grendel dies which will neck it down, and then fireform to blow out the taper. Easy peasy.

Yes, the vast majority of Grendel Shooters use X39 brass. My bro in law does this. I bought him some real Grendel Brass and he uses it for his best loads, but the majority of what he shoots is necked down X39 brass we find laying around at the ranges.

The brass I got him was Starline and I got it before there wasn't anything available last year.

It amazes me just how much brass people leave laying on the ground at Club Ranges. Sometimes they even pick it up and put it in the brass bucket, which makes it really easy to find. The other day we scored a bunch of .308 and .30-06 Brass that was perfect and had been on the ground for less than a day.

If you are going to pick up brass the hot tip is to get one of those pickers that has the suction cups so you don't have to bend over. They work great and save your back big time.

Best $10 I've spent on reloading ever.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    unfortunately you guys are going over my knowledge base. i can load the ammo i dont know anything about modifying existing brass lol
    id be willing to experiment though. not unwilling at all

Banned
    W.R this works great also

Garden Weasel Small 7 in. W x 47.5 in. L Harvest Small Nut Gatherer $29.99 Ace Hardware

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Boolit Master
    Watch the primer size in x39 brass, there are both large and small. My experience with large primers in a 6ppc resulted in overpressure. I didn't inside ream and that may have been a choke point inside the case where neck turning can't reach. No issues with small pmrs tho

Boolit Mold
    So I watched a video and it basically said use a deprimed/sizer die and crush this bastard into it and check with a case gauge then good to go?
    With some minor details in the middle

Boolit Mold
    just saw the garden weasel....thats amazing. im pretty young and that looks like fun to get weird looks from people who have no clue!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Watch the primer size in x39 brass, there are both large and small. My experience with large primers in a 6ppc resulted in overpressure. I didn't inside ream and that may have been a choke point inside the case where neck turning can't reach. No issues with small pmrs tho
    Interesting, I’ve been shooting and loading 7.62x39 since 1984 and have never seen a small primer round yet. I have always wondered why they used LRP’s, I’d think SRP’s would be better. May have to look for these and check it out.

Boolit Master
    I got started with the Grendel when Alexander Arms only had a couple rifles on their website. All of my brass is marked AA but was made by Lapua. Part of the magic with the Grendel was that particular brass being able to take pressure. Same same with the PPC made with 220 Russian and 6BR brass (really all of their small rifle small flash hole brass) made by Lapua. Not to say that other brands aren't good, but the Lapua has a hard casehead and coupled with the SRP/small flash hole makes it last a long time and allows the extra pressure. A Grendel in an AR needs all the extra strength it can get as some of the bolts available aren't up to the butt kicking they'll get.

All that said, it's just my opinion based off of thousands of rounds fired. However, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do if you can't find what you need. Just don't try to push a 123 to 2700 with wildcatted brass...

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, I have a direction now. Gonna pursue already got 200 7.62 casings coming and I'm going to separate the srp and slp when I get them in.

Boolit Mold
    Lrp* not slp.....

Boolit Master
    Remington 762x39 has small primers.

LRP in that 30 caliber is fine but in smaller bores, it can be a problem.

Boolit Mold
    Can be? Or is. Definitely firing this through an ar platform

Boolit Grand Master
    You might want to try and charge your rounds with lower end loads when shooting(fireforming)the modified x39 brass as it will have a lower case capacity than fireformed rounds.

Boolit Master

I bought a case of 6.5 Grendel hornady black ammo when I started with 6.5 this year. $18.20 a box delivered. It was cheaper to buy ammo than buy brass and load ammo.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 11-24-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucardm911 View Post
    Can be? Or is. Definitely firing this through an ar platform
    ...IS....If you use medium to upper level sp data with LRP. Blown primers, fire in the magwell, didn't burst the shell tho. That's My experience . If you choose LP shells Load down and work back up .

Banned

I stocked up back about a year ago. I bought 2k of starline. Yes you can make it out of 7862x39 but the problem is that its not easy to find either because for years probably 75 percent of it that was shot was steel cased imported crap because it was as cheap as handloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    W.R this works great also

Garden Weasel Small 7 in. W x 47.5 in. L Harvest Small Nut Gatherer $29.99 Ace Hardware

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I've had a larger version of that device called a "Nut Wizard" which was sold as a brass picker upper in gun mags. I use it when picking up lots of pistol or rifle brass but I usually don't have it with me, and the other thing is in the car all the time so it gets used more.

I could sweep up a 5 gallon bucket of brass with the Nut Wizard in about 20 minutes.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I stocked up on Grendel brass over a year ago and have converted some once fired 7.62X39 too. Check out Gunbroker for once fired brass, they sometimes have deals on them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!