RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aguila ammo

Boolit Buddy

Aguila ammo

Is Aguila .22 ammo any good just for general plinking? Dunhams has it for $20/500.
    I guess I need to know if it is better of worse than the Remington junk!
    Last edited by buggybuilder; 11-22-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I've run the stuff in semi and bolt rifles and pistols for years and its not bad. The std velocity stuff is as accurate as any of the federal or CCI standard stuff. The high velocity is pretty good too. The SSS heavy 60gr bullet ammo can create some issues due to the short case they use. You'll get build up in the chamber where the case ends. That can make chambering normal length cases a problem. Also the heavy bullet does not stabilize well in the slow twist barrels that are normal for the 22LR. If you're shooting with a suppressor you should not use this ammo.

Hope that helps

Frank

Banned
    yes on the standard an hv ammo, no experience with others

Boolit Master

So far so good I have been shooting some with no complaints. Has to be better than thunderduds.

Boolit Master
    I had some a few years ago. It shot good, but it seemed to be kind of oily and messy to handle.

Aguila makes good ammo. Rimfire, centerfire, and shotgun. Some of the specialty ammo like the mini shot shells and the 60gr .22s are just that- specialty. Everything else that I have used has been fine.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Aguila actually makes quite a few different varieties of 22LR ammo. Some of their Match ammo is top notch.

Somebody in Mexico must have been watching the political situation to the north and ramped up production accordingly, just about every shop in town is out of everything else, but new Aguila is available, and is restocked almost as fast as it sells.

The Aguila Super-Colibre is probably my most favorite, non-match 22 ammo.

I like their HV 22 LR. My model 60 will do around 1" with it at 75 yards. The sound is consistent. The single six likes it okay.

Vendor Sponsor

I picked up a case of their MATCH (standard velocity) and it shoots well above its price point. Not Eley but darn good ammo for 1/3 the price.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I've gone through a couple of cases of the cheap Std Vel, every bit the equal of CCI SV IMO. Very accurate and uniform velocities. Remington junk is just that, junk!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    What they said above. I like the standard velocity that says Eley Primed on the boxes. Seems to be near CCI SV. The copper clad stuff is equal to the federal bulk packs. Still like Automatch or CCI for high velocity stuff.

Why doesn't anyone post targets as proof of this ammo's performance?

Is this just a subjective opinion thread without any weight?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

This was at only 25m but also consider open sights and less than brand new eyes.

That's ten shots.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I just fired an ARA factory class target for score during a practice session last week using Aguila rifle march ammo. I shot a 2250. Of the 25 rounds fired, only two were outside of a 3/4 inch group at 50 yards. With those two shots in the center, the score would have been 2400.
    It isn't Eley Tennex(2400 score fired the same day) quality but it didn't cost anywhere near as much either. It is excellent practice ammo.
    As far as the other varieties Aguila makes, they go bang and are as accurate as needed for the intended use in my rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I throw all my targets away. Never have kept them. All data I need is in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I throw all my targets away. Never have kept them. All data I need is in my head.

Who needs to keep'em?
    There's a camera in just about every Americans pocket older than about 10.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I might be a little bit older than 10.

I luckily found some old targets, as water damaged as they were they gave me some useful information. And they were fun to find. I do like to scan them so I can view them at will and in their appropriate places if and when I get a round to actually doing it.

Those targets allow me to compete with myself.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-23-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    A picture of a target. I can shoot a target at 10 yards and say it is 100 yards? I have had excellent results with Aquila over the years. More accurate than most of the bulk-packed high speed stuff that was available cheap. I prefer their sub-sonic hp's for bunny hunting. Bought a case of CMP standard velocity and found it very accurate, pleasant to shoot and inexpensive compared to the 'fancy' brands - Eley, RWS, Wolf, SK..... Oh, I don't carry a phone with a camera in my pocket. In much of the Rocky Mountain West they are fragile expensive unreliable doodads though I guess you could take pictures of your broken leg DON'T BREAK YOUR LEG WHEN ALONE AND OUT OF CELL SERVICE, you can't call 911 to save you in many places, very Interstate highway dependent.

Boolit Master
    The Aguilla .22 brass is slightly softer and seems to be about the same hardness as the older copper .22 cases, and that would be reason enough for me to keep it on hand for the older guns with weak springs, as they fire the stuff well even if they might have a lot of misfires with modern ammo. I think that it helps with ignition consistency in guns that don't have deficient springs as well, but that's speculation.

Beyond that, I've found the ammo to be fairly accurate compared to comparably priced offerings from other manufacturers. Overall I have no complaints about Aguilla ammo, and some of the stuff they offer is really interesting like the 60 grain SSS, Colibri and Super Colibri ammo. The Super Colibri is very accurate through an old german .22 that I have that's chambered for .22 long (not LR) and has about 1-20 twist (I think it's actually 1 turn in 500mm).

Overall I have been pleased with their ammo.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast