Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aguila ammo

I have some Aguila Super Extra 40gr RN. I went for them because of the round nose, thinking that for target RN can only be better than or equal to HP. They are 'standard velocity' which is fine as sometimes standard velocity is subsonic. Sometimes. This stuff is 1,130fps which is not exactly subsonic. It might be fine for 25m shooting but what would it be like at 50? Well, I'll try them and see how they do.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Found another Aguila target. Subsonic HP 25m open sights.

I don't think I can aim better than that. There's another shot aimed at the wrong target below this one that would lie within this group.

For some reason I went and bought more Super Extra's when I should have been buying the subsonic HP. I'll just have to go back and get some.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-23-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My experience is the rims are to soft and jam up my Smith 617 before I can run the full cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I have some Aguila Super Extra 40gr RN. I went for them because of the round nose, thinking that for target RN can only be better than or equal to HP. They are 'standard velocity' which is fine as sometimes standard velocity is subsonic. Sometimes. This stuff is 1,130fps which is not exactly subsonic. It might be fine for 25m shooting but what would it be like at 50? Well, I'll try them and see how they do.
    I saw a 137 fps loss of velocity testing some 'Federal Target Grade' bulk pack.

At the muzzle it was 1,217 fps & at the 50 yard target backstop (actually about 49 yards) it was 1,080.

I don't know what the speed of sound would be here where I live at 2,200' ASL, prolly close to sea level but this ammo appeared to start above the speed of sound and get there below the speed of sound...could that have added to their poor performance?

I can't say, I was new to using that 'peep & globe' so you could prolly hang half the error on me at least.

It would be interesting to see a thread of 'empirical evidence' regarding this speed transition and it's effect on the groups.
    Look at what the rifle is capable of above the speed of sound and then look at groups where we know the bullet dropped back through the speed of sound and went sub-sonic.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    It would be interesting to see a thread of 'empirical evidence' regarding this speed transition and it's effect on the groups.
    Look at what the rifle is capable of above the speed of sound and then look at groups where we know the bullet dropped back through the speed of sound and went sub-sonic.
    Look up "transonic bullet instability" for lots and lots of reading material about why that transition point is less than ideal for best accuracy.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    Look up "transonic bullet instability" for lots and lots of reading material about why that transition point is less than ideal for best accuracy.
    I understand the dynamics...just never saw any target pictures of 'groups' disturbed by the transition or ever knew any numbers before and after the transition.

thanks...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Here is some data from manufactures specs. The ballistic coefficient for the Norma match can be used in nearly any ballistic calculator to give an idea what to expect. It would probably be a pretty close approximation for nearly any 22 bullet with the possible exception of the light bullets used in the hypervelocity rounds.
    Nominal speed of sound is 1125fps or a close approximation. I don't think it changes a lot for altitude. It changes more for temperature that air pressure. Here is a link to a speed of sound calculator. https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_speedofsound

Norma Match
    Specifications and Features:
    • Muzzle Velocity @ 0 yards: 1066fps
    • Muzzle Velocity @ 50yards: 1025fps
    • Muzzle Velocity @100 yards: 930fps
    • Ballistic Coefficient 0.15

Mini Mags

Velocity in feet per second
    Muzzle 50 Y 75 Y 100 Y
    1235 1092 1040 998
    Last edited by tazman; 11-24-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    does aguila sell components like pistol primers?

Boolit Master
    The Aguila rimfire work ok in my Smith 617 for me, but mine is a six shot cylinder.

Since the thread was started, I have tried Aguila 40gr sub-sonic solid points and I like them. They stand up to Eley Club and GECO Match.

Boolit Master
    I noticed the FleetFarm has them in their sale flyer this week. Check FF in BD.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    I've used the standard velocity in my Marlin model 60 with no real problems and decent accuracy but the seemed to be dirtier than most. For the price I'm not complaining.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12