Thread: Heavy 32 ACP load chronograph data

Boolit Master

Good data. Thanx for sharing......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings all. New year and new data to share.

These loads used coated bullets from ACME. Both are 100g, one is RN the other is FN.

Gun used in testing is a Beretta 81 (no suffix).

Acme coated 100g RN sized at .313
    IMR Blue 4.0g +/- 0.1g, CCI 500 primers.
    R-P Cases, OAL is .985, bullet is seated long.
    String 1, 10 shots, 923 ft/s ave, ES 61, SD 20, 189 Ft/Lbs ave
    String 2, 9 shots, 924 ft/s ave, ES 42, SD 11, 189 Ft/Lbs ave

Acme coated 100g FN sized at .313
    IMR Blue 4.0g +/- 0.1g, CCI 500 primers.
    W-W Cases, OAL is .975, bullet is crimped in the provided groove.
    String 1, 10 shots, 880 ft/s ave, ES 68, SD 21, 172 Ft/Lbs ave
    String 2, 10 shots, 881 ft/s ave, ES 61, SD 19, 172 Ft/Lbs ave

These loads felt similar to the other heavy 32 ACP loads I've fired. This research is inspired by Outpost75's work on the topic. It's a shame that IMR discontinued IMR Blue because in this application it works wonderfully. In my opinion it's just as good as 2400 for heavy 32 acp loads. It's very interesting that two bullets of the same weight with the same powder charge in the same gun produced noticeably different velocity readings. I would love to here possible explanation from sharper minds than I.

One note, as the reader can see in the thread I've shot the same weight bullet with 4.0g of Blue Dot. The results from that test yielded high velocity and too me were well over the line. This would indicate to me that IMR Blue is slower burning or has less energy density per grain than Blue Dot.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Last edited by Led; 02-02-2022 at 08:22 AM.

It's very interesting that two bullets of the same weight with the same powder charge in the same gun produced noticeably different velocity readings. I would love to here possible explanation from sharper minds than I.

Seating depth different? Small cases are hypersensitive to seating depth, especially with hot loads. Pressure differs, so MV differs.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Cool...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Lead hardness will do what your posting for FPS.
    Are you seeing and slide peening with the heavy loads? Does the slide slam into the receiver?
    I have the same pistol myself. I collect .32 ACP pistols and shoot them a lot. A fun "man-stopper" load sounds interesting.

Boolit Master
    The use of IMR-Blue, Blue Dot, or something near their burn rates makes more sense to me, for the results given. There's no arguing with the results the Outpost 75 obtained, using 2400. Given its burn-rate, however, I was nothing less than astonished by the performance. I would have expected results more like what were obtained with the H110 loads.
    If you fellows keep obtaining these stellar ballistics, you'll soon need a locking-breech pocket pistol and a dozen rubber recoil buffers to go with it!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I've been following along since this post started. See I have this flake powder that burns about Blue Dot speed. VV 10B101. I've got some PRVI 71gr hollowpoints and some hardcast 85gr roundnose bullets I cast before selling the mold to a friend. I think it was 313249. Maybe they ought to get together.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Going to the ACME site and looking at the two bullets I'd venture the RN is seated much deeper than the FN. That would account for higher psi and higher velocity given the same load.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12