Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Bernz plumbers pot/furnace question

Boolit Bub

Bernz plumbers pot/furnace question

I have one and am trying to get it ready for smelting scrap lead.
    No instructions naturally. The model I have has a burner that rotates up/down for transport or storage to protect the main valve assembly, I assume. To the left of the valve there is a fitting with a pin coming out through its center. Attached through a hole in this pin is a rod about 2-3” long with an eyelet on the opposite end. The rod swings free on the pin. Any idea what this is for? I tried pulling on it but it doesn’t move, and I don’t want to force it. I haven’t taken it apart since I don’t know what’s inside and don’t want to break anything. I’m thinking it’s some type of emergency pressure release, but that’s only a guess.
    Last edited by Acorn; 11-22-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    A picture would help. Bernz was a big name in gas pressure soldering torches up till around the 1960's tho I did not know they made lead pot burners , the common Clayton/Lambert type or even the Coleman Heat Plant did not fold up as they were large based and had a fount that held 1-3 gallons of fuel. There is a info/history site for torches that may have some info that you need but its been a few years since I last was on it and don't remember the site name. Be aware that the old liquid fuel burners have a lot of seals [fuel cap, valve stems, check valve, NRV, air pump cup] that if dried out can cause BAD reactions to life and limb so check and test before lighting fire.
    Shaune509

Boolit Bub
    Here ya go. I wondering now if that rod is to fill the preheat pan with fuel?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 85C736BA-9AC0-497D-8CA8-B046E852FB12.jpg   4BCB73E4-DB05-490D-B512-D8A24249BCE5.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Here ya go. I wondering now if that rod is to fill the preheat pan with fuel?

Hah! Found out it turns and is threaded so it goes in and out. Still don’t know what its for.
    I have to check a few things before I am ready for ignition.
    Soaked the leather cup in oil, it was as dry as a Baptist wedding.
    I have to pull the pump assembly to check the check valve.
    Then I am going to pump it up empty and liquid soap check the fittings.
    Surprisingly there is no smell of old fuel in the tank. That was my biggest fear. Old varnished fuel clogging jets an valves.

Boolit Buddy
    Does the burner rotate with the main valve? Different then most.
    Most likely ran on camp fuel if no bad smell they did not burn auto gas as it gets the bad smell and varnish with age.
    Looks in good shape, have fun trying it out but be safe.
    Shaune509

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by shaune509 View Post
    Does the burner rotate with the main valve?
    Shaune509
    Yes, the entire burner and valve assembly turn.