Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Honing a Die?

Boolit Buddy

Honing a Die?

I have begun reloading 6.5x53R and have read that 6.5x52 or6.5x54 dies may be used tho may need opened by honing. Was wondering, has anyone here done this?
    I have a set of little-used Pacific 6.5x54 dies of which a cast of the FL die mikes .441" at the base. With cases formed from Winchester .303 brassI need the die to accept a .450"/.451" case. That seems like a lot of metal to remove by honing?
    I have thought that the base diameter of the 66.5x54 case being .447" perhaps using a 6.5x54 chamber reamer to open the die might be better?

IT IS THE BODY PART OF THE DIE THAT NEEDS OPENING.
    Last edited by DonHowe; 11-22-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't recommend the chamber reamer to try to cut the die. The die is more than likely case hardened and the reamer will be damaged. .441 to 450 is .009 or .0045 on a side. Will the rifles chamber accept that .450-.451 base size? Forming from another case may require the case to be cut sized down instead of opening the die up. This would be a job for a id grinder and skilled operator the set up is going to be worse than the actual grinding, and thats going to be a slow process too.

You could possibly make up a lapp and lapp it again a long slow process. a lead casting of the die and fairly coarse compound to start. I would probably start with around 240 grit to remove the most of the material get withing .002-.0015 then 320 and finish with 600. I would test size by sizing a case to also take spring back into account. you will need to remove the neck shoulder from the castings also, so only the body cuts.

If you have to size back thru the solid head your talking a lot of force and turning it on a lathe may be a better option.

Boolit Buddy
    6.5x53R cases frormed from US made brass measures .450-.451 and chambers easily. PPU, Norma, HXP, etc cases are larger diameter and do not work in my chamber.
    I COULD buy an expensive set of correct dies but this rifle will not be shot a lot so I'm hoping to avoid that expense.

If your using the same rifle, cant you just neck size the case?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    One rifle. I can neck size, just thinking about when the case may need a bit of sizing.

Once the case is formed to that rifle, it does not need to be FL resized.

I have done that on the shooting bench with a 303 Enfield.

So, instead of honing an entire die, you just need something with the same neck/shoulder specs, and a larger body.

Please dont take me as an expert, and double check that with a reference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Would a 35 remington size die shortened a bit work for you? Its 458 at the base, so you might be able to use one with, say, 1/4" cut off the base of the die and polished. You could do the math on the taper and see just how much you would have to cut off. Might be the easiest and cheapest way to get what you need.