Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Casting for Model 94 in 44 mag

Casting for Model 94 in 44 mag

Morning, I want to start casting for my model 94, 44 mag. I want a H&G 503 or an ideal 429421. I’m curious to know if anyone has experience with these two boolits in lever guns. I’m not so much worried about accuracy as I am them reliably feeding.

Boolit Master

Cannot speak to those two particular molds but my 44 winny Trapper isn’t finicky in feeding a Lee 240 semi wadd cutter mold , a Lee 310 WFL mold and a ranch dog 265 grain semi wadd cuter mold as well as various round nose commercial cast and flat and hollow point j word factory ammo and handloads- it’s the rifle with cast that my daughter has killed all of her 4 or 5 deer with, with the Lee 310 boolit no less, which everyone assured me wouldn’t shoot well out of the 1:38 twist, well it does if it’s pushed hard , not target rifle grade accuracy kind you but minute of deer for sure , she can handle recoil and liked that big boolit cause we cast it together and powder coated her “special” ones John Deere Green. The ranch dog mold boolits fall with my alloy at about 260 pc’d and gas checked and is the most accurate of the 3 but the Lee 310 prints about 2 inch groups at 50, for the close range swamp hunting we do it’s fine and all deer shot with it have been bang flops.

Boolit Grand Master

Over the years I've shot a lot of 429421s out of several M94s. H4227 (23 gr) consistently gave the best accuracy in the 1500 - 1600 fps over any other magnum level load. However, for the best accuracy at the highest safest psi level a GC bullet is best used. I found both the 429244 and the 429640HP loaded over max loads of H110 gave excellent accuracy in the 1700 - 1800+ fps range out of 20 - 24" barrels.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla