RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating and Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    The problem with lubed cast bullets in a Glock is the sharp barrel rifling that tends to strip lead, leaving heavy deposits in the barrel. These deposits build up, destroy accuracy and increase pressure. The worst barrel leading I ever saw were Glock's used n IDPA shooting cast bullets. I helped a couple of new guys de-lead their barrels and I have never seen barrels leaded up that bad.

Since PC creates a slick, hard and flexible polymer jacket that bonds to the alloy stripping lead is no longer a problem.
    Never seen sharp rifling in a stock polygon glock barrel.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    800X is a good powder for heavy 10mm. BUT IT IS volatile AND GOES TOO FAR FAST!!!

When working up ys need go REAL REAL SLOW! You can get very impressive numbers but ya need be diligent and have good repeatable reloading Practices. .
    I bought a # of 800x for my 10mm, totally unimpressed with accuracy v vel with that powder, plus its a pita to meter, pretty much hand weighed charges. AA#9 blows 800x away imo with 200gr bullets, but jmo.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Never seen sharp rifling in a stock polygon glock barrel.
    That is true and you won't see it because visually looking at a polygon rifled barrel creates an optical illusion. As far as shooting lead lubed bullets the concerns is the difference between the bore as it really is and as what it appears to be.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
    I shoot powder coated cast bullets all the time from my glocks, sigs, and shield. Never a problem, no leading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    And there is no reason you should have leading because you are shooting jacketed bullets that are slicker than copper.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all of the info. My powder came and now I need to find a toaster oven. Thanks - Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerry p. View Post
    Thanks for all of the info. My powder came and now I need to find a toaster oven. Thanks - Jerry
    Just from my experience, either don’t cheap out on a toaster oven or buy a convection oven. It’s tough to get consistent temperatures with a cheap oven.

In short, YES you can shoot powder coated bullets from a Glock with no issues. Assuming you follow al the good advice in this forum on how to do it.

I have a Glock 43X and a 34. Both have shot ONLY powder coated bullets. Thousands of them. All I have to show you for it is two shiny barrels.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    My Glock 23 with original barrel never did lead foul. I was given a Wolf barrel with real rifling and it leaded after just a few shots. Had the sharp leade relieved and it still leaded a bit. I went back to the Glock barrel and no problems. Powder coating works as intended too and I prefer it to lube sizing or coating with Liquid Alox/JPW; although that works too.

Vern

Boolit Bub
    Hey guy's, does it matter what air soft BB you use in the case vibrator ? Thanks - Jerry

Boolit Master

Most prefer the BLACK COLORED ONES.

I have t seen an advantage but some do and swear buy them.

I dont say this to deter you. Only to show that they may or May not help. One thing I can ad is I have never read that they cause any kind of issue.

Good luck!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry p. View Post
    Hey guy's, does it matter what air soft BB you use in the case vibrator ? Thanks - Jerry
    I tried red ones, but the black I first started with worked better. I think the sectional density is the difference. If you are fortunate enough to have low humidity levels you probably don't need them, but BB's do tend to cushion the bullets from banging into one another.

Boolit Bub
    My kids shoot air soft, so I will see what colors they have. Thanks - Jerry

Boolit Master

When I first tried PC the only ones I could find were green.
    After about 6-7 batches of 75-100 bullets they lost there effectiveness.
    Switched to black. PC'd about 5,000 bullets with the same black BB's, just add about 1/2 teaspoon every 400-500 bullets.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Walks. I will get the black bb's, my kids don't have any.

Boolit Buddy
    This may have already been covered I haven't read all the replies, when I first bought my glock 34 I read all these stories of glocks blowing up caused by using lead projectiles, so I asked my gunsmith he had seen some, his reply was if they had cleaned them they would not have blown up in some he saw huge amounts of leading from never cleaning the guns, apparently some folks think glocks are indestructible and never need cleaning or any form of care.

Boolit Master

I shot over 2K lubed lead boolits in my Glock 22C before I read 'lead causes Glock Kaboom' and OMG. Since I didn't know, I didn't tell my Glocks, they behaved. Of course any serious shooter wouldn' let their guns get so clogged up that chamber pressures would cause failure. I treated my Glocks like I was taught, check often, at least once a box, give a peak. I only leaded one GLock, and it was not a Glock barrel, a LW drop in 9mm for my G22C. I tried sizing at .357 instead of my usual .358 as I had when I first started shooting 9mm. I traded that sizer off here, to someone who wanted/needed it more than me.

I never knew 9mm was supposed to be hard to load for, so I loaded it just as dad taught me in the mid 1970s when loading 38 and 41. That was back before the interwebs, where most myths originate. I applied the same principal and had success for 30 years, at least until I tried sizing them small. When first loading 9mm (my first pistol) I got lead from a range where all they fired was swaged hollow base wad cutters, and that is darn near pure lead. Nary a problem, even when firing 41 mag loads.

Enter PC, lead doesn't touch the bore if the boolits are clean. and the PC is cured per directions. I shoot .223 at 2450 fps using boolits cast from an NOE mold that does not have lube grooves or a gas check shank, sized to .225, and using 50-50 COWW/pure.

Glock advised against reloads, but there are factory loads with lubed boolits. They were just trying to cover their butts. A Kaboom investigation would show excessive lead buildup in either case. Kabooms, in my opinion, were caused by guns that were not inspected and cleaned regularly, by folks who likely were not instructed in basic care and maintenance when they purchased their firearm.

I have provided a lot of range training for folks with their 'first gun purchase' and didn't follow my instructions. Those instructions were 'meet me at (location, usually the club range) and bring your owners manual.' First question at the range was 'did you read the manual?' next was 'did you learn how to disassemble and reassemble as you would when cleaning?' 3rd was 'do you have cleaning gear?'

I only sent one home to get his manual while the others (we all worked together) pulled out their books and held them up, shaming the guy who didn't follow instructions. I had folks demonstrate take down and assembly which is a great time to reinforce rules about 3rd eye violations. Then let the 'fun' begin. Many other groups of new shooters, word got around, no one wanted to be 'that guy.'

Folks who did not yet have cleaning gear asked what I recommended, which was that we go to the LGS when we are done and let him recommend whats best for what task. I let them use my gear and showed them how.

LGS owner was a young guy, was a competitive shooter, and also a gunsmith. Throwing some newbs to a good shop was part of the deal. That shop was a hang out, like an old time Barber Shop, many happy hours spent.
    Last edited by fcvan; 01-13-2021 at 02:47 AM.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

I got a Glock 23 when they first came out in 1991-2. It still had the non-captive recoil spring. Since replaced, if only for ease of assembly/disassembly.
    The only ammo that was available at the time was Federal 180gr Lead. It functioned perfectly from the first shot. I shot 150+rds the first time out. I'd wiped out the bore with Hoppe's before shooting, a bronze .44cal brush and 3 patches from an ancient solid 40cal cleaning rod.
    Almost no leading at all. After that, I loaded the #40043 and some Hornady FMJ's. Cleaned about every 500rds.
    In the early 2000's I started to hear stories about the Glock "kaboom". With My Kids I was heavy into Cowboy Shooting, so little attention was paid to Semi-Auto handguns. A couple years later a friend gave me a Wolf bbl. Said it would give better case head support and better accuracy. No more Glock "smile".
    The first few years I had my 40cal Glock, I also had a S&W M4006. Loaded and shot the brass/ammo interchangeably. Never had any Glock malfunctions, and the M4006 just didn't like the #40043 bullet. Bought My Very First New Lee mold; a #401-175-TC. The M4006 liked that just fine.

I've heard all the talk about the Glock "kaboom". I keep my guns pretty clean. Never had any problems with my old Glock M17, maybe 10,000rds though it before I sold it to buy the M23.
    I shoot the same loads thru all my 9mmx19 pistols. S&W M59, Walther P38 & P4 and My Daughter's SR9.

I've had the same experience with my Glock 21, same ball & combat loads as 2 Colt and 1 Springfield Armory 1911's. Function is just great with either OEM or Wolf bbl. Although neither bbl will feed the light, stubby load for my Gold Cup. All all loaded ammo will drop fit into the Ruger Blackhawk .45ACP cylinder. And even one of those chamber checkers.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Walks, I hear you. When the 40 S&W came out, it killed the 41 Action Express. That and I could not find a barrel company that would cut one for my S&W 459 'not enough room.' And then S&W makes the 4006 on the 459 platform. As I was already shooting 41 M, I thought it would be cool to have a 41 AE.

I didn't set out to buy a Glock, certainly would not have bought the 22C as compensated guns are for the range, not for a carry weapon where night vision gets destroyed by the flash. I shot at an indoor range once, learned first hand. I had to, I needed to requalify quarterly for my off duty permit. Still, Wife comes home from a visit with family and she says 'got something for you.' Turns out, my brother bought it for his SIL who's Sheriff buddy had a 23, but wanted a 27, and only wanted what his agency price was. Wife paid the man and exchanges were made, registrations corrected. Anyway an older pistol but still a Gen 3.

Yes, my wife did not pay anything near retail. Being a LEO myself, I availed myself of many discounts. Both she and I have G22s, G23s, and G43s. She has a G22, I sold mine to a retired buddy, being retired he couldn't buy one in CA, go figure. Our G42s weren't sequential, but our G23s and G43s are, she likes that sort of thing. Her G22 Gen 4, was a commemorative for my agency. I bought 2, one for my brother when He retired, sequential to my wife's.

Back to the thing, The only time I leaded a 9mm was a Lone Wolf drop in 9mm conversion when I tried sizing to .357 when .358 has worked since the mid 1980s, in every 9mm I owned or shot. Dang, I bought drop in barrels for G22s, and G23s, and associated mags for myself, my wife, and my brother. I had to as my wife picks up brass every time before she shoots and all told handed me 15K of once fired 9mm. I had to load it all . . . and make AR 15 carbines for my wife and me, and my SIL, brother built his own. I also have a drop in for the G22 in 357 SIG as I had picked up so much range brass. Gee, at 1350 fps, it doesn't lead either.

Boolits constructed correctly, guns cleaned of copper and powder fouling, don't lead. Ever shoot black powder? That is an obstructed barrel in 50 rounds or less. Cool video out there of Hickok45 shooting BP through a 45 ACP Glock. One mag and the bore was very hot and very fouled, the kind of thing that leads to Kaboom, not lead alone. I love PC!

Oh, a buddy gunked up his gun with loads given to him, not from me. I taught him how to load, then cast, then powder coat. I told him to run a mag through it with PC boolits I gave him and check it. Poof, one mag, no lead. I also gave him a Lee lead pot, the mold we liked, an ESPC gun, and a pound of the purple his wife liked, as a retirement gift. I taught him later how to shake and bake. He's more like a brother than a friend. We met in church/college, worked in the oilfields together, went into law enforcement together, retired the same day. He still drops by and visits the folks when he visits his in laws.
    Last edited by fcvan; 01-13-2021 at 04:50 AM.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Ooh music to my ears!! Spread that 40 s&w love!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

CW,
    Sometimes I think you are just a one trick pony.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast