Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berdan primers

Boolit Grand Master

Berdan primers

Got a call from a friend today.
    Asked if I could use some Bredan primers.
    Went to pick them up.
    Little over 5000 5.5 Norma
    I hope they will fit ...............
    7.5 Swiss
    8mm Lebel MG cases
    7.65 Arg

Boolit Master
    I find berdan primers make very good musket caps.....they have a lot more power than tophat caps,and eliminate the hangfire effect so familiar to shooters......They also work reliably my IAB Sharps carbine ,which others dont.

Boolit Buddy
    Are they corrosive?

Boolit Grand Master
    Round cardboard containers don't say if corrosive.
    7 unopened
    3 opened
    1 box
    Attachment 271893

Forgive my density, but don't they require brass with the integral anvil? Makes me sad thinking of all the GP11 7.5 Swiss empties that I scrapped.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

5.5m is correct for the 7.5 Swiss. It is also listed as .217" diameter.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Very nice haul!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Forgive my density, but don't they require brass with the integral anvil? Makes me sad thinking of all the GP11 7.5 Swiss empties that I scrapped.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    I've reloaded several thousand Berdan Swiss cases. I use the water method to deprime. The anvil is part of the case.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I find berdan primers make very good musket caps.....they have a lot more power than tophat caps,and eliminate the hangfire effect so familiar to shooters......They also work reliably my IAB Sharps carbine ,which others dont.
    Never thought of that. All I have is .217's or 5.5mm. I will have to check fit. If not I will make nipples that fit. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I wish they would import them again, so I could reload that nice Swiss brass I have .

Banned
    I reload berdan in steel x39. Think we have 1k left. Saved a bundle on plinkers with the tulas.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I wish they would import them again, so I could reload that nice Swiss brass I have .
    Hazmat makes shipping problematic but what part of the country do you live in? if you are close enough we could do a FTF sale or trade. For shipping (unless it's for than money than I am will to ask) the only option would be to 5K for 5K of Remington 7 1/2's or CCI 41's

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Not corrosive ...usually logo is "inox" or something like..........5.5mm is standard berdan for euro cases......other common size is 6.35mm ,or 1/4" ,for British ammo.....There is also a 6.45mm size for the Brazilian shotgun shells.

Boolit Grand Master
    So not corrosive????
    I was looking at some of my 8mm Lebel cases.
    They are much thicker than the Graf cases.
    Looks like they would be perfect for the 41 Swiss conversion.
    Along with Lebel reloads

Boolit Master

"Rustfrie" = non-corrosive.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    "Rustfrie" = non-corrosive.
    Yahoo!!!!!
    Third good thing to happen to me this year.
    It's not been a very good year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I've reloaded several thousand Berdan Swiss cases. I use the water method to deprime. The anvil is part of the case.
    Yup, I haven't reloaded ANY but I make the hydraulic deprimers (water) And my friend reloads the primers. Someday I am going to make the drawing dies to manufacture Berdan Primers and switch over all my brass.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hydraulic works most of the time.
    Sometimes I just have to pry them out.
    I do have the RCBS tool, but if it's not set just right, it will damage the shell.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Yup, I haven't reloaded ANY but I make the hydraulic deprimers (water) And my friend reloads the primers. Someday I am going to make the drawing dies to manufacture Berdan Primers and switch over all my brass.
    By switch I assume you mean switching to cases that started life as Berdan? If you are actually converting I know how converting from Berdan to Boxer works but never though of going the other way. That seems like it would be a lot more difficult.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Is it true that Berdan primers don’t have a built in anvil and use the casing as the anvil? Can someone explain more about how that works. It’s the first time I’ve heard about this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast