Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Experience with RCBS 45-255-SWC

Boolit Grand Master

Experience with RCBS 45-255-SWC

Anyone have good or bad experience with this mold?

I'm thinking about it for .45LC BH.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

good but there is at least 3 differnt variations of that mold. The first is the best in my opinion. They are all decent bullet though. I think there running a rebuy on a 6 cavity lee version of it right now. Just look for Lloyds mold on the forum.

Boolit Master
    I really like mine, as does my neighbor like his. It's a good design for the .45 Colt for sure.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    The bullet on the left is the RCBS .45-270SAA, the middle is RCBS .45-255, and the right is CAT's .45 GB. All three are very good for .45Colt !

Jerry
    Last edited by GLL; 12-12-2008 at 11:04 PM.
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

I have the 44 version of that mold, the 44-245KT, and it seems to outshoot my Lyman 429421 boolits across the board with different loads. I think perhaps that wider front driving band does really help, as Keith meant it to. My Lyman mold was made when they were using the round grease groove, and narrower front band. My RCBS mold seems to have vent lines that are too deep though, and RCBS has told me to send it back for their inspection. I can't pour with a full dipper without getting very pronounced "fins".

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The 255 mold is also good if you decide to shoot the Black stuff as it has a big enough lube groove for filling with the right lube. Mine shoots to POA also.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I have had good luck with that mold also. I think RCBS makes a better mold than Lyman, course I have both. I have been putting off getting the 45-270-SAA but maybe Santa will help me out.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Master
    I have one that was mis-cut at the factory, causing it to need top punch #638. Rcbs wanted me to send it back so they could replace it, but I like it too much. I like the 45-270-SAA better....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes the 255-SWC is a great bullet, it will outshoot the 270SAA in all my guns across the board, and is a much more forgiving bullet to load for, I highly recomend it. I have also had excellent results with the Lloyd Smales .45 group buy mold that is currently being rerun on the group buy forum, this bullet with 9gr/Unique or 7.6ish gr/WW231 will do 1" @25yds in my USFA.

Boolit Master

Those are FINE boolits!

Thanks for sharing, Jerry!
    I have the Lyman 452424 255 gr. SWC and 452664 RNFP. Both do great for me!
    The 424 is only available in two cavity, and casts a boolit that is 1.650" COAL when loaded, which is 50/1000" too long for my Taurus Thunderbolt. It works GREAT in my revolvers, though.
    I didn't think I'd like the 664, but it also has a nice profile. It's a four holer mold and works great in my Thunderbolt and revolvers. The only thing I don't like is that it has a slight bevel base that tends to hold lube (flat bases don't). It's a minor point.
    Those RCBS molds are nice! I like the big grease grooves (which both the Lymans also have).

Happy Shootin! -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    The bullet on the left is the RCBS .45-270SAA, the middle is RCBS .45-255, and the right is CAT's .45 GB. All three are very good for .45Colt !

Jerry