Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Old Lyman Mold bullet weights

Boolit Mold

Old Lyman Mold bullet weights

I have an older Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (1973) that shows multiple weights for one mold. Example Mold #25719, this lists weights from 70gr to 130 gr in 10 gr increments for #2 alloy. The picture has 8 lube grooves so I am assuming that the original intent was that these boolits could be cut off at a desired weight. Seems a bit crude but I have never needed to do that but now I do have a project that would be better served by one of these old molds. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these types of boolit molds
    Any thoughts would be appreciated

Boolit Grand Master

No, the intent was to be able to use the cherry to cut cavities for the different weight by adjusting the depth it went into the mould blocks. The cherry, depending on the weight desired, was adjusted for depth in the mould with the different drive bands being the base of the bullet of the desired weight. Numerous different moulds of various calibers were made that way, usually with Loverin style designs.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    That mould was originally a nose pour mould that had a screw-adjustable plug at the base. In use, the plug was moved up or down to make the bullet of the desired weight/length. This series of moulds was called Ideal Perfection moulds. It was also possible to order a single weight mould of the same design, which was made by varying the depth to which the cherry was inserted into the mould blocks. I have the 25-20 and 32-40 Perfection moulds in my collection.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    Ok that now makes sense.
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    PS I also have the single weight version of a different 32-40 design shown to yield a 200 grain bullet. It was my go to bullet for fixed loads (as opposed to breech seated) in my original high wall Winchester. Even though I really like that bullet, I do wish I could find the adjustable version as well.

Froggie

Boolit Master

For example the Lyman 358242 came in 2 weights, 92-93 grain and 123 grain. Same bullet, same mould number, but 1 more driving band on the heavier bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    A confusing aspect about this is that some of these designs "survived" in two or more weight offerings long after their Perfection antecedents were discontinued. The Perfection moulds were advertised by Ideal as being for the "crank" (or real enthusiast) and I guess there just weren't enough of them (us) out there.

I've seen listings for Perfection moulds in 25, 32, and 38 rifle calibers that I recall distinctly, and there may have been a couple of others like perhaps a 45 and maybe a 28(???)

Froggie