RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee C285-130-R

Boolit Buddy

Lee C285-130-R

Looking for info on this one. I have only cast for straight walled cases so far but would like to start doing bottle neck I now powder coat everything and would be doing so with this one. Is anyone shooting this in a 7mm caliber at lower velocity somewhere between 2000 to 2400fps? Any info will help.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot that one at well below 2000 fps for 7mm TCU. I find it is a bit more accurate than the Lee "soupcan" mold of similar weight. I gas-check and HiTek coat mine, but am running below 1500 fps. Fun way to make use of range pickup 223 brass.

Boolit Master
    What rifle do you have chambered in 7TCU?

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    jules,

Shoot away. 7TCU, 7BR, 7mm Mauser,,,,,the Lee bullet shoots. Low velocity, high velocity, whatever.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    TC Contender

Boolit Buddy
    Yes Contender. It's a wildcat. Based on a the 307 Winchester case. Thanks guys.

Boolit Master
    I have both the T/C Contender pistol and carbine in 7mmTCU as well as both of the molds, the 130 RNGC and 140 RFGC. The 130 RNGC give me the best accuracy and the 140 RFGC is an excellent hunting boolit. In the carbine I get my best accuracy at about 1900 with the RNGC.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I have both the T/C Contender pistol and carbine in 7mmTCU as well as both of the molds, the 130 RNGC and 140 RFGC. The 130 RNGC give me the best accuracy and the 140 RFGC is an excellent hunting boolit. In the carbine I get my best accuracy at about 1900 with the RNGC.
    Awesome! I ordered it this morning. I have never slugged the barrel but I went ahead and ordered the .285 Lee sizer and I'll be using Sage checks. Not sure how well the .285 will fit the case.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up the Lee mold and it works great. It cast .285. But I am having a problem with the Lee sizing die. It is marked .285 but after I run them threw the sizing die they are coming out .283. They are too loose in the case neck. It's the only way I have to crimp on the gas check. Not sure what to do.

Boolit Master

Your die is mis-marked apparently. Hone it out, or take the time for a replacement from Lee. It will be loose in the bore like it is in the case.....not a good thing.
    What diameter is it dropping from the mold? May be able to use it that way.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    You need to lap the sizing die to open it up to .285”. Easiest way is to get some fine grit valve grinding compound from auto zone and roll the .283” boolits on a flat surface with some compound spread on it. This Imbeds particles in the lead surface. Run three or four of these thru the die until they no longer increase the inside diameter of the die. Doesn’t take very long - maybe fifteen passes. Run an unsized boolit thru the die and mike it to see what the diameter is. If you want it larger load up the compound on the surface of the unsized boolits and start running them thru the die. Check the diameter that the die has been opened to every five passes or so to prevent opening the die up to much.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    I am sizing mine to nominal 284 with the gas checks. It would seem easier to me to just tell Lee about your issue with the mislabel and get a replacement.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Your die is mis-marked apparently. Hone it out, or take the time for a replacement from Lee. It will be loose in the bore like it is in the case.....not a good thing.
    What diameter is it dropping from the mold? May be able to use it that way.
    Rick
    .285 from the mold

Banned

I have found that to be a good bullet in a few 7mm rifles. You need at least a .285 sizer, and .286 would likely be better. I shoot a whole lot of the "soup can" bullet from the Midsouth mold which I think is just a flat nosed version of this one, though a 7x57 Sporter. I size mine to .287.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee C285-130-R in my Savage Axis 7mm-08...it is very accurate sized to .285".

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the ideas gents. I used some 350 grit paper wrapped around a small wooden rod with some oil on it and rolled it like a rolling pin. Then polished it with Mothers mag polish. Took about 5 mins. I wish I would have caught this 250 boolits and gas checks ago. Had them powder coated too.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    jules,

Take the undersize pc’d bullets any give them another coat or two until they are as big as you want them.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    I'll try that.

Boolit Buddy
    This batch is ready to load. I really like how the Eastwood clear came out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7mm cast.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Got out with my Contender and these yesterday. I started at 25yds and was happy with it. Not so happy at 100yds. Opened up to 6 inches. Here is a picture of the Contender and 25yd target.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7mm1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	279631
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	279632

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast