RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Brazilian 1908 7x57

Boolit Mold

Brazilian 1908 7x57

Just got it would like some info on it.

A first poster! Welcome to the Forum! The Brazilian 1908 is an excellent example of a standard Mauser rifle. Some were cut down to short rifle length and are known as the M-1934. I know that there were some imported in truly excellent condition, but I haven't seen many. I think the climate there created a lot of rust problems, especially below the stock line. If I recall correctly the original shipments came from Germany, Deutsche Waffen und Muntionsfabriken (DWM), but some are marked "Mauser". Later Brazil manufactured some at Itajuba Arsenal. I have one, kind of interesting. It was apparently cut down to short rifle length from a full length 1908. The first time I took it to the range I noticed that every shot I fired seemed an inch higher than the last. Then I noticed that the stock had been cut behind the front band/bayonet lug, and again just forward of the front sling swivel. The two parts were then reconnected with a dowel-- but apparently they didn't glue it! The two pieces were slowly separating. A little glue solved the problem and it became an accurate rifle thereafter. When they remodeled the rifle they bent the bolt and flattened and checkered the bottom of the knob.

DG

Banned
    WELCOME !

I had a Brazilian Mauser and as Der Gebirgsjager said, they are excellent examples of standard Mauser rifles. There were millions of Mauser bolt actions made and huge numbers went to South American countries. Despite the age and wear, they are still excellent examples of old world craftsmanship. Unfortunately, the South American Mausers have often lived a hard life. There is typically a lot of rust under the wood and the bores are frequently less than prime. But, they can still be shooters.
    The 7mm Mauser, AKA 7 x 57, AKA Spanish Mauser - cartridge is one of my all time favorite rounds. It really is a remarkable cartridge and it dates back to 1892. If your DMW Mauser is like most, the bore will likely be larger than an American 7mm (.284") bore (sometimes significantly larger).
    When using factory ammo, I always had the best luck with 175 grain jacketed bullets (Federal offers a pretty good cartridge) but handloading and better fitting bullets are the best route is that's available to you.

The good news is the rifles are strong and were well made to start with. If you are familiar with the Mauser action, great! If you are not, spend a little time to educate yourself. They are straight forward rifles but there are a few tricks and tips to disassembly. It is worth the effort to disassemble the rifle and give it a good cleaning and inspection.
    The bores have often suffered from corrosive ammo and poor maintenance. There's nothing you can do to "restore" a pitted bore but it is worth the effort to start with at least a clean bore. You can't fix the pitting but you can start from clean bore.

Boolit Mold
    My 08 looks almost new on the outside but the bore is not shiny land and groves easy to see and no pits but dark after two days of cleaning. Shoots good only fired two rounds of 139 gr hornady and both rounds touched at 65 yards. Not bad for my eyes at 71 years old.

Boolit Mold
    Will post pic of gun when I figure out how.

Banned

Every Brazilian Mauser I’ve seen have been horrendously rusted below the wood.

Boolit Buddy
    I got mine years ago from Springfield Sporters. They had just gotten a shipment in and listed some in excellent condition. Mine truly is. The bore is bright and clean, wood is good with a few dings and no rust below the wood line. A friend and I both ordered them and both were excellent.

I have one put in a Mannlicher full length stock. Bought the action with a new, in the white, military stepped 18” barrel and had a smith friend of mine finish it. Just love the 7x57.