Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Weaver KV Scope

Banned

Weaver KV Scope

I am fond of the Weaver K-4 scope, it looks good on a vintage 22 rimfire as well as any older deer rifle, I have several stashed away just waiting for a rifle to be mounted to. Introduced in 1947 it quickly set the standard for a strong and reliable hunting scope. The K-10 came along in 1953 with great for extra reach on that old varmint rifle. It was unfortunate this summer when my only K-10 hiccuped on the Remington .222. It found a new home on a 22 rimfire and seems happy.

I had heard of some older Weavers, or at least different models of early Weavers but never seen one, that is till yesterday. It's the Model KV. Another 1953 introduction, the KV is a 2.75x5 variable that again was an industry trend setter. I have not determined the exact age of this scope, but I am thinking it's close to 1953, maybe a few years later.

It has the traditional Weaver steel tube and profile but, unlike today's scopes has a seperate turret for changing the magnification. I have not played with the windage and elevating setting to see if this scope has a centered reticle, some early models did not. The reticle is a post and crosshair that should be good for deer or antelope hunting. Getting a picture of the reticle proved to be a challenge that I have not fully mastered.

When I acquired it, it was mounted in vintage Leupold rings and bases mounted to a '98 Mauser receiver, Herter's stock and barrel chambered for 6mm Remington.

I have a vintage 22 rimfire that this nice old Weaver be right at home on. The Mauser will get a period correct Herter's scope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9165.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	271838

Name:	IMG_9168.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	271839

Name:	IMG_9170.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	271840

Name:	IMG_9175.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	271841

Banned
    I’ll take it!
    Where do I send the check?

Boolit Master
    I really like my old weaver scopes. That reticle is my favorite style for hunting and any kind of shooting where quick acquisition of the sight on target is helpful.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Nothing looks better on an old steel and walnut rifle than a steel scope in my opinion. Currently I’m down to a 1960’s K10 and a 1970’s K4 as far as Weavers go- but I’m always keeping my eyes open for others. I’ve never seen that particular model that you have- but I like it!

I had a KV and that same mount on a sporterized 03a3 I bought in the 1970s one of the best shooting combinations I ever had .
    Last edited by frogleg; 11-21-2020 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master
    Pressman, I looked your scope up in Old Rifle Scopes. States that they were made from 1950 to 1964. I am curious about the variable power adjustments. The early variable power scopes were notorious for changing POI when moved. The adjustments on the KV are not in the eyepiece like later scopes. I would like to see a range report on POA when you change power if you would be kind enough to do so.

I have a old V9 with an AO, it changes POI. I can zero the scope at 3X, when moved to 9X the POI goes straight up 3 inches. Sort of lucky as it could have been anywhere. One older guy told me years ago to figure out where I wanted it and leave it alone.

I guess I like them too, probably got close to a dozen. There is a nice K12 in my old Ruger 77V and a B6 on the Savage 25-20. There is V8 with external adjustments somewhere around here. The one I really miss is the T6, needed my but kicked.

Dave

That is pretty neat, thanks for sharing. The book Old Rifle Scopes is on my want list.

Banned
    Thanks beemer, I will have to check it out. I have an indoor range this winter so shooting is on going.

Banned
    Beemer, I tried holding it to a mirror this morning, and yes, increasing the magnification moves the POI straight up.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Hope it works out, sometimes nothing looks right but a vintage sight for a vintage rifle.

Dave

I had one on a Husqvarna Rifle but it had delaminated lenses and was fogged up inside. I traded it before I found out about L&K Scope Repair. The other guy wanted 18 month turnaround?

It was the perfect scope for that rifle, but the rifle kicked like a mule so I sold it too.

These older scopes are perfect fits for vintage rifles and I always would look for one for a vintage rifle before putting a newer scope on one.

I have a Weaver K2.5 that I had redone at L&K and it is going on a 1958 Marlin 336 .30-30 as it is the perfect optic for that gun.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

My first decent scope was a Weaver V4.5W (1.5-4.5 Widefield) that I bought at K-Mart. That was in the 70’s and it served my 6mm Remington for many years. It finally fogged up and I replaced it with a 3x9 Redfield. I must have traded or sold it because I don’t have it anymore.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Banned
    I put the Weaver on a Romanian 22 and got the opportunity to zero it today. I set it to zero i9n the mirror before mounting. That big, thick post makes fine sight pictures difficult to line up, but it works. POI was 1" low and right. I walked it to center on the target. I think I may leave it on this rifle as it does work well, well mostly I just enjoyed shooting with it.

The rifle it came on now wears a period correct Herter's scope.