Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2ADvertise hereRepackbox

Thread: Stretching the case

Boolit Master

Stretching the case

Just read the thread "Stretching the .44 Magnum Case" on here. Made a lightbulb come on.

Seems as if I read in George Nonte's book, "Cartridge Conversions" that he used a method to lengthen cases by rolling them under pressure with a mandrel. Got to go back and research that soon as I find my book. Seems to me that we should be able to do this to form shot cases for some of the shorter rounds we're tinkering with for shot loads. It would diminish case strength somewhat but most of the shot loads are fairly mild anyway. The .45 ACP and 9mm come to mind.
    Any thoughts on this?/beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Just read the thread "Stretching the .44 Magnum Case" on here. Made a lightbulb come on.

Seems as if I read in George Nonte's book, "Cartridge Conversions" that he used a method to lengthen cases by rolling them under pressure with a mandrel. Got to go back and research that soon as I find my book. Seems to me that we should be able to do this to form shot cases for some of the shorter rounds we're tinkering with for shot loads. It would diminish case strength somewhat but most of the shot loads are fairly mild anyway. The .45 ACP and 9mm come to mind.
    Any thoughts on this?/beagle
    That would be great, I've really wanted a brass option to try for use in 9mm...a 9mm shot she'll I could load without the price of speer capsules would be amazing

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    That would be great, I've really wanted a brass option to try for use in 9mm...a 9mm shot she'll I could load without the price of speer capsules would be amazing

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mm-shot-shells

Boolit Master

I dug up the article last night and skimmed through it. Doesn't look like it would lend its application to our needs. He was "stretching" big straight walled cases with a lot of brass. Getting at max 1/2" of length.
    We're looking at basically 9mm and .45 ACP and the brass just isn't there for any appreciable length. Several other ideas I'm looking at in the book as well.
    I grew up with a M1911 in hand back in the 60s. I've shot (sacrilege) the various "survival" shot loads put out by the military over the years and tried the RCBS method, Still, no joy but I keep thinking about it and trying new things to achieve the goal of easy .45 and 9mm shot loads./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....