RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Beaver

Boolit Buddy

Beaver

On of the kids I work with traps . He is 17. Cooked some beaver brought it to work today very good.

Banned

Something I never learned but would like to. I don't know anyone who traps close to me, I guess I need to see who I can find.

Boolit Buddy
    After skinning one, no way I could eat it. The smell of that castor don't do much for the appetite. My brother tried some on a trapping trip one time, cooked over a fire. He about gagged and chucked rest into the river. I wasn't brave enough to try it.

Boolit Buddy
    I had an aunt that made some excellent BBQ’d beaver. God rest her soul. She always requested that I bring the first few juveniles I trapped each year. I boned them out and trimmed all the fat away. She slow cooked it in a crockpot with bbq sauce and it was similar to pulled pork. It is very dark meat though so the color is different than most red meat. Some day I will smoke some on the pellet grill pull it apart then apply a liberal amount of bbq sauce. It will be delicious. I reside in an arid climate currently or it would be happening in the next few weeks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gofaaast View Post
    I had an aunt that made some excellent BBQ’d beaver. God rest her soul. She always requested that I bring the first few juveniles I trapped each year. I boned them out and trimmed all the fat away. She slow cooked it in a crockpot with bbq sauce and it was similar to pulled pork. It is very dark meat though so the color is different than most red meat. Some day I will smoke some on the pellet grill pull it apart then apply a liberal amount of bbq sauce. It will be delicious. I reside in an arid climate currently or it would be happening in the next few weeks.
    This is the way I have seen it done. It's been years, but I remember it being pretty good. Even my wife and kids liked it.

Moderator Emeritus

Beaver back strap, treat it like beef... good eats!

Boolit Grand Master

I seem to remember reading somewhere that among the trappers and Indians Beaver tail was considered a delicacy. Dont recall how they fixed it though.

Boolit Grand Master

I enjoy beaver ... and that's all I'm going to say .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that among the trappers and Indians Beaver tail was considered a delicacy. Dont recall how they fixed it though.
    The need for fat in a diet in the 1800 was huge. Not needed much in our century. If you like eating lard you will probably enjoy beaver tail.
    PS if you are tasting castor you have done something wrong.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

had it a couple times. It was ok but not great. Might have been better if they didnt tell me what it was. After skinning a couple i kind of lost my need for beaver meat.

One day Mom was looking at a younger coon I had trapped and she said we should try to eat it. Turned out it was edible as long as it was HOT! We tried it cold and man for disgusting- the fat level was red line. We only did it once.

Then, I got a possom. Mom went to work the next day and asked a woman she worked with who was from New Orleans if she knew anything about cooking possom.
    She told Mom blacks would not go near a possom since they broke into above ground crypts and ate corpses. She said if one did they'd become a corpse themselves.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    The need for fat in a diet in the 1800 was huge. Not needed much in our century. If you like eating lard you will probably enjoy beaver tail.
    PS if you are tasting castor you have done something wrong.
    Beaver tail bacon, wasn't half bad when I tried it.

Boolit Master

Having duped many a friend and foe, my way of using ol saw tooth to good eats is as follows. Try to use as fresh caught beaver as possible. Skin as soon as possible, remove intestines, scrape as much fat as possible off the meat. Cut up in manageable pieces, soak in salt water for up to 4 hours. SLOW boil for 2-3 hours with, what I have used for years, 2 cut up apples, half a lime, half a lemon, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, 1 peeled orange cut up, and 1 star aniseed. All in a big pot and keep everything covered with water the whole time. The meat should fall right off the bones, separate, cool for a short while, add your choice of BBQ sauce and enjoy on a fresh bun.

P. S. DO NOT forget to remove the Castor sacks.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979