Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: I built a P.I.D.

Boolit Master

I built a P.I.D.

I purchased the controller, solid state relay and thermocouple on evilbay. I had a junction box, cord, wire and outlet laying around that I used to complete it. The box I used was deep enough I could have mounted the controller in the door (Would have been far easier to wire it if I had) but I wanted to lay it on the back so I could set my Lee pot on top to raise it off the bench a few inches. I also made a cover for the box with some scrap lumber and a piece of plywood to raise it another couple inches. All told it sits a bit over 7" off the bench. I watched a Youtube video where the guy took the control box apart on his Lee pot and bypassed the thermostat. Why do that?? Just turn the knob all the way to 10 and let the controller do it's job. If I ever want to use the pot without the controller no rewiring needed.

The Good...
    Works great. Keeps the temperature within 3*.

The bad...
    The REX c100 read out is in centigrade. I guess that is not too bad, but it would have been easier for me if it had been in Fahrenheit.
    All evilbay pieces are made in the country that blessed us with Covid 19.

Most PID controllers have a way to change the temp readout to Fahrenheit. I had to search for the instructions on the web.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Banned

Don't think you can switch that one

Moderator Emeritus

Some REX C100 PID's can be changed to read in Fahrenheit, but some can't ...for instance, the BERM brand can not.

also, be aware that if you are able to change it, you will likely need to change one or two other parameters to get an accurate reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banner Sponsor

The first rex c100 that I bought had hidden in the directions a setting to change it to F. It worked great and would hold the temp very stable. So I bought a few more and they would not change to F.
    I switched to the MyPin TA4, it's much simpler to setup and reads in F.
    We need pics of your project.

Boolit Master

I put one together a few years ago. Got all components from Auber Instruments. I'm electronically impaired, but can read & follow directions, and it all worked out nicely. I just mounted everything on a board, so everything is open for cooling. Wouldn't cast without it.

Banned

I would love to make one but space is an issue for me. I used to have to install and program these for a couple of different applications. One tricky one was a bag sealer and cutter on a packaging line. It was a very fine line between sealing the bag and it cutting off so the next one still had a seal at the bottom to everything falling all over the place. Heat was too hot it would burn off the plastic before it had time to seal itself and then there were holes on each bag. Then too cold and it only sealed and did not cut off the bag that was filled.

The PIDs we used were a lot more expensive than any of the ones you can find on ebay or amazon.

Boolit Master
    Mine reads in Celsius, just make up a chart with conversions....takes about 3 minutes on the computer with a printer and tape it somewhere conspicuous.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Some REX C100 PID's can be changed to read in Fahrenheit, but some can't ...for instance, the BERM brand can not.

also, be aware that if you are able to change it, you will likely need to change one or two other parameters to get an accurate reading.

Wondering if I missed something on that video though I watched it a number of times. had 2 different Rex C100's to play with. Will try to write out what I think I saw in the video.

1. Turn on
    2. Get SV/PV screen
    3. Hold Set and Shift Buttons.
    4. Get COD screen
    5. He inputs 911
    6. I cannot input 911 can only change far right 0 to a 1

What am I not doing that he did?
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
    Wondering if I missed ,,,,,,,,
    6. I cannot input 911 can only change far right 0 to a 1

What am I not doing that he did?
    You are probably doing nothing wrong.

In the lower left of the REX C100 ,, does it have the name "BERNE" ?

I have a BERNE, it can not be changed.
    There are at least a dozen REX C100 PID's on eBay,,
    pretty much, if the ad does not say F/C or C/F,, then it is only Centigrade.

I just ordered another controller, I found one that says F/C in the ad line,,

I searched on "PID SSR F/C",, I think,,
    then I still had to root through a bunch to get one that is 1300degree C, (not 400) and operates on AC , not DC.

Banned
    Download/copy the chart 1/2 way down this page https://www.printablee.com/post_temp...ntable_418541/

Boolit Master

I suspect the ones I have cannot be changed but I'm bored today. I have 3 @ RKC mfg. in Japan and 1 @ of the latest that says RKC Monitor TNC which I'm fairly certain is Chinese. Once on a google search I ran across another Video that went at it a bit differently but didn't bookmark it and haven't been able to find it again. They're all Model REX-C100FK02-V*AN but will have to try the other 2 in the shop on a more pleasant day than we're having right now. Think I may have as many as 5 manuals already not counting the ones that always come with the units themselves.
    Last edited by Mike W1; 11-24-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826