Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Lee 6C 358-148 WC

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 6C 358-148 WC

I recently bought a new Lee six cavity wadcutter mold to feed my .38 Specials. I heated it up for the first time last night, and I was impressed with the ease of use. Even before the mold got up to temp, boolits were raining from it like it was a Hensley & Gibbs in disguise.

The first two full fillings had one or two boolits almost stick, but they fell out with only a slight shake; no need to rap the hinge bolt. After that they were falling out as I opened the handles.

Alloy was straight wheel weights, they measured .359" near as I could tell with my tubing micrometer. I need to dig up my flat mic since I think the new tomcat kitten has misplaced my old standby dial calipers.

This is the first brand new mold I have bought in several years, I am very impressed with it. Maybe I got lucky, but it sure is fun to watch how fast the level of molten alloy drops when things are running right.

Just had to share my good fortune,

Robert

No sir, you did not get lucky. The Lee’s drop excellent bullets, I have 10 of their molds, 2 of them are six cavities. You have to be very careful opening the blocks to look at your casts or they will drop in you lap.

Good to here! I have always had good luck with lee 6 cavity molds.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

Even the old worn ones will still make a nice boolit.. I like all of mine.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned
    I purchased that same mold a few months ago and I am also pleased with the results.

I'm still looking for a 6 cavity H&G #50 but for the money that Lee 6 cavity WC can't be beat.

The RCBS 38-148-WC is a great bullet (and I prefer the nose profile of that bullet over the Lee) but that RCBS 2 cavity limit is a killer.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the reason I was so surprised was the fact that I didn't have to even pick up the mallet to get everything to fall free. The very first 6C Lee I tried was one of the group buys and it had issues, mainly the alignment pin bushing were sliding in the blocks. Talk about something hard to figure out on the first mold of that type you have ever seen.

I managed to stake those bushings and it works now, but wow what a job. I still have a sheet of lead about 1/16" thick with five boolits protruding from it from that first mold as a reminder.

I decided on this WC mold because I had recently purchased a Colt Officer's Model Match and a S&W K-38 that I want to give a good try before I go with anything more powerful. I figure keep the .38's at .38 level, I have .357's and .45's if I need anything more powerful in a handgun.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I have that LEE wadcutter mold for 38's and it is very accurate . I love to shoot those in my Colt Police Positive Special , 4" barrel . The accuracy is fantastic . I don't get fancy loading these . I use the old time tested load of 2.8 grs of Bullseye powder . Regards Paul

Super Moderator

Same here, my LEE 6 Cav 38-148 rains boolits too (the non TL design). It casts and shoots so well I ordered another one for back up. This is one of the few boolits that I still tumble lube though. 50/50 mineral spirits and LLA is what I use. Bullseye and W231 powders are still king when it come to these boolits. I love shooting these!