Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal Magnum Lg. Rifle Primers

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2Day View Post
    I was thinking about that... something over the primer hole to mitigate flash a bit. I was thinking more a newspaper wad (really thin). Have you run the construction paper over the primer hole? Did it work out well? Mind sharing the caliber/load? I’m really curious...
    Some shooters have found that a wad punched from ashless coffee filter paper has worked very well, some are using news print, and another I know uses the same paper he uses for paper patching bullets. It's just another one of those things a person can try if in the mind to experiment a little along the way in search of bug hole size groups.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    WOW!
    I think some of us squirrels that prepared for winter should sell our extra primers to the needy with deep pockets. I would happy to be rewarded for my thinking ahead. The Clinton primer years taught some of us older guys.
    Mike,
    You got that right, I remember only too well. When Obummer was elected the first time I stocked up on primers and powder the next day and was that ever the right thing to do. Took inventory Sat morning to help a friend out and I am down to just shy of 30K. Bought those for $18 a thousand, or less for some of the older ones. Almost out of BR-2s but I have stuff I can use.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

I do use a primer wad on some loads. I use a thin aluminum foil. between the primer and case in the primer pocket. It seems to lower the extreme spreads on some loads. I cut the foil into strips 3/8" wide. I cut a slot in the back of my shell holders .030 tall and 3/8" wide with a cut off wheel, so the strip is pulled thru. I cut the disc with the primer cup when seating. I have yet to recover a disc when depriming, I believe the become hot particles to help ignite the charge. This way dont keep the powder out of the flash hole like inside the case does though.

I have tried papers coffee filters, ed coles paper I use for patches and some nitrated paper i had from a paper cartridge sharps.

Im using rem std large rifle primers

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I do use a primer wad on some loads. I use a thin aluminum foil. between the primer and case in the primer pocket. It seems to lower the extreme spreads on some loads. I cut the foil into strips 3/8" wide. I cut a slot in the back of my shell holders .030 tall and 3/8" wide with a cut off wheel, so the strip is pulled thru. I cut the disc with the primer cup when seating. I have yet to recover a disc when depriming, I believe the become hot particles to help ignite the charge. This way dont keep the powder out of the flash hole like inside the case does though.

I have tried papers coffee filters, ed coles paper I use for patches and some nitrated paper i had from a paper cartridge sharps.

Im using rem std large rifle primers
    That's a good idea, cutting it into strips and pressing it into the primer pocket instead of shoving it down in the case. I oughta try that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12