Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Magnum Lg. Rifle Primers

Boolit Buddy

Federal Magnum Lg. Rifle Primers

I normally use Winchester Lg. Rifle Standard primers in my B.P. .40/65 load. I load 58 Gr. of Swiss 1-1/2 with a .30 fiber wad behind a 410 gr. bullet I am running out and replacement of Winchester primers is not going to happen soon. I have 300 Federal L.R. Magnum primers and am considering using them until I run out. I need opinions

Banned

That's all I use in my Sharps rifles with blackpowder loads! I didn't mention calibers.......45/70 and 45100!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I normally use Winchester Lg. Rifle Standard primers in my B.P. .40/65 load. I load 58 Gr. of Swiss 1-1/2 with a .30 fiber wad behind a 410 gr. bullet I am running out and replacement of Winchester primers is not going to happen soon. I have 300 Federal L.R. Magnum primers and am considering using them until I run out. I need opinions
    Sure. I think you are on the right track.
    I use standard Large pistol primers as a mater of course and Like Remington 2-1/2, as well as Federal standard Large pistol match.

I don't know what all you have in your inventory, but give them a try. You for sure don't need a magnum primer, either pistol nor rifle version, to set off the BP. Standard pistol primers work well. However, if the magnums are what is available, you may find a great (accurate) load. Try them.

There is one exception to the pistol primer use; older rifles, and by older I mean 1800's era rifles sometimes had very large firing pins in the 0.091 - 0125" diameter range. Sometimes pistol primers will rupture in these rifles. Firing pin erosion happens fast. Be aware if you are trying pistol primers in one of these.
    Chill Wills

All I use for BPCR are standard large rifle primers. Haven't found a magnum primer to make much of a difference.

Boolit Master
    I use magnum rifle primers in my 450 BPE with 110 grains of BP. I don't know that you would notice the difference.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    magnum primers were all the rage for BPCR 20 years ago - the rage seems to have faded over the years - been there tried both couldn't notice a difference. I like Federal LR primers they seem to be a bit softer - (need less of a whack to set them off ) suits me I have a couple rifles I weakened mainspring to get a decent trigger letoff.
    Had some failures with winchester brass coloured primers ages ago - flat out would not go off no matter what - dunno how old they were - I always thought Winchester was silver . Anyway - switched to federal - the big boxes are kinda silly but the primers are good.!

I have one load for my 45-70 , 500 gr. Pointy Brooks bullet .460” and 80 grs. of Old Eynesford 1.5 Fed LMRP that shoots into one hole @200 yds. You just have to try them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    I have one load for my 45-70 , 500 gr. Pointy Brooks bullet .460” and 80 grs. of Old Eynesford 1.5 Fed LMRP that shoots into one hole @200 yds. You just have to try them.
    Maybe I do -----cant see that hole at 200 is a bit of a problem for me.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post

Randy, I get a lot of pone hole groups too, but they are scattered all over the paper

Boolit Buddy
    As mentioned above magnum primers were used when I was competing in BPCR. My load used Federal 215M (match primers) and while probably not necessary the did ignite winning loads in my rifle. Browning 1885 in .45-70 purpose built for BPCR silhouette and mid-range.

Boolit Buddy

Plenty of primers available on Gunbroker. Oh say for a thousand large rifle 300.00+. Just nuts

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    Plenty of primers available on Gunbroker. Oh say for a thousand large rifle 300.00+. Just nuts
    WOW!
    I think some of us squirrels that prepared for winter should sell our extra primers to the needy with deep pockets. I would happy to be rewarded for my thinking ahead. The Clinton primer years taught some of us older guys.
    Chill Wills

I have a friend that is a Sheriffs Deputy and works the customer service detail . He is forever having little old ladies bringing him the dead husbands expendables like primers and powder. He boxes them up and gives them to me, I determine what’s usable and destroy what’s not. I have zero concerns for the rest of my life,my Son has no worries either.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    You may have to adjust your load a bit to get the same accuracy. One thing you might try before changing powder charges if the accuracy isn't there, is to punch a 38 cal wad from newspaper, or such and dropping it in the case over the flash hole before dropping the powder charge.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Seat the magnums in the cases, then put a construction paper wad inside the cases next to the primer hole. It will reduce the primer flash and briance to that of a LR primer
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Seat the magnums in the cases, then put a construction paper wad inside the cases next to the primer hole. It will reduce the primer flash and briance to that of a LR primer
    I was thinking about that... something over the primer hole to mitigate flash a bit. I was thinking more a newspaper wad (really thin). Have you run the construction paper over the primer hole? Did it work out well? Mind sharing the caliber/load? I’m really curious...

Banned

Tried primer wads outside and inside - didn't have any effect for me with sharps or rollers in .45-70 bp ppb cartridges.

Lotsa different camps on what primers to use with the straight wall 19th century cartridges, primers from pistol standard to rifle magnum and everyone sez their way is right ... at least for them. I'm more interested in primer consistency and prefer standard large rifle match-grade primers, federal or cci.

I'm in the same ballpark with you with this one Rob.

I don't know how many equally loaded rounds with the same can of powder and bullets cast with the same casting session primers and wad stacks. I cut the paper with the pistol primer whit testing it with pistol primers to keep the primer flush with the case head and put the paper under the powder in the case. I did not see any improvement good or bad.
    Bit I dis see a change on the face of the breach block when I cleaned the rifle. Gas cut from the paper blowing the pressure back past the primer cup from the pressure build up going through the paper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3677.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	272489

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lead pot, interesting. Never noticed that on the face of the block when I used the wads in a Sharps ...
    Regards
    John

John,
    I hear that comment a lot when I mention this, and it's not the brass with worn primer pockets. I don't know for sure if it was the pistol primers or the rifle primers that caused this for sure, but I also have a CPA breach block that is on the .44-100 caliber that has shot nothing but LR primers that looks worse than this Sharps block.

While your seeing this.
    Is there anything planned at Ridgeway next season? or are they holding back to schedule anything for next season till the red bug gets settled.

Kurt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3084.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	272530
    Last edited by Lead pot; 12-03-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast