RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbide smoker for open/aperture sights

Boolit Buddy

Carbide smoker for open/aperture sights

I bought mine back about circa 1975 when I was a cop and started shooting PPC for the unlimited ammunition we were issued if we shot competitively. Ah... the old days of the 158 grain round nose trundling out the barrel of a S&W Model 10 at 880 fps. What a manstopper!

Anyways, even with the eyes of a kid back then, it didn't take long to realize how much better you could see the sights after you smoked them with a carbide lamp. Mine is still going strong after 45 years, and I expect it will be there in my estate for somebody to snatch up (if they know what it's for). Still gets use most of the time I go to the range, whether with the A.J. Parker sights on the Long Branch Lee Enfield or any number of different revolvers and auto pistols.

Had been looking for years to find them still for sale somewhere to buy for each of my younger brothers. Anyways, finally found them. If you target shoot with irons... you should really consider buying one of these before they disappear again.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ions&item=CL20

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CL20_XL.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	271790

Right you are. Unfortunately they corrode over time.

Moderator Emeritus
    Here's another one, which is what I use:

http://www.watersrifleman.com/supersmokersightsmoker/

It's a little more expensive. I don't know what the difference is between the two of them, if there is a difference. Same outcome.

Boolit Grand Master

If you clean it after each use they will not corrode as badly. Usually this consists of wiping it down with a damp cloth and periodically coating the threads with bullet lube. I am still using mine weekly since 1982 and have one NIB as a backup.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Us country boys used kitchen matches or a candle. It’s amazing how unknowing folks react to the improved sight picture once you smoke the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Here's another one, which is what I use:

http://www.watersrifleman.com/supersmokersightsmoker/

It's a little more expensive. I don't know what the difference is between the two of them, if there is a difference. Same outcome.
    That's the Ray-Vin design (I have one that I bought direct from Ray Brandes). The Ray-Vin design has a compartment for the water in a separate compartment. It is equipped with a 1-way valve. By tightening a knurled nut on the bottom, water (a small amount) is forced into the carbide compartment which in turn creates the acetylene gas.

In other words: it's self contained. It is the hot setup.

As a side note Ray & his wife Ruby are very nice people.

He also designed & made the best scope stands (last I heard Creedmore was marketing them).
    Last edited by oldhenry; 11-20-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    That's the Ray-Vin design (I have one that I bought direct from Ray Brandes). The Ray-Vin design has a compartment for the water in a separate compartment. It is equipped with a 1-way valve. By tightening a knurled nut on the bottom, water (a small amount) is forced into the carbide compartment which in turn creates the acetylene gas.

In other words: it's self contained. It is the hot setup.

As a side note Ray & his wife Ruby are very nice people.

He also designed & made the best scope stands (last I heard Creedmore was marketing them).
    Unfortunately they have retired.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Take a piece of masking tape and twist it into a "swizzle stick". Put a match to it and soot your sights.

Boolit Master

LOL, one had on AMTU team went years ago, 73- 74, what a good time. Almost made one consider re-upping.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Banned

Banned
    Will a thin stick of fat lighter (pitch wood in yankee-speak) work? It generates smoke as black as a tire fire.

Boolit Buddy
    When carbide is exposed to water, it will generate acetylene gas,,

Walk out to the shed, and light the oxygen-acetylene torch without the oxygen on,, you get that same black soot.
    Prestolite, and Turbotorch make a kit that will connect to an acetylene bottle,,
    block the air inlets with tape, you will get black soot that is exactly correct.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTorch-03...s%2C726&sr=8-4

Moderator Emeritus
    Ray Vin gave/sold his design to the link I posted. I found them from Ray Vin’s site.

Boolit Grand Master

That style is very good and works great. I made a hew when shooting high power rifle. In case any one wants to make one the orifice size is .020 dia. For aa long time the gold standard was a miners lamp for smoking sights. I had one and at the start of the match OR{a team members Adult and juniors would meet center line and we would smoke sights with one lighting of it.

Always remember to clean the sights after using it. 1) it will attract moisture and rust 2) repeated applications will start to affect zeros with the build up

Had one for a years when I shot highpower worked well but after my small supply of carbide rocks were gone I found it just as easy to use the masking tape , worked just as well
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Right you are. Unfortunately they corrode over time.
    The inside of the aluminum barrel gets a bit scarred. But 45+ years, and it still works exactly as it's supposed to. Mine doesn't even have the anodized look. Just an aluminum finish.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Us country boys used kitchen matches or a candle.
    This country boy decided a dirt cheap sight smoker turning carbide into soot lived longer riding in the bottom of a shooting box than matches and a candle did. And it was one hell of a lot smaller than my grandfather's miner's lamp is, which sits on the mantle.

Boolit Master
    bic lighter.

Boolit Grand Master

When in the tool room of a food plant I made some from stainless steel heavier but lasted good

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Peeled of birch bark lit will give you ally soot you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast