WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coverup scent

Boolit Master

coverup scent

Hello all, going out this season first time in years. I've gone thru my stuff and have a coverup scent to use and it's been sitting for several years.

One container has been used and another still sealed. Question, should they still work as intended?

I'd think they'll work as well as you image them to
    Always considered them another fancy "fishing lure" aimed at hunters

Boolit Grand Master

Check for an expiration date and/or Email ( or phone call) the company ... and explain the situation , they might send you a new bottle !
    Take a photo or mention that one is open and the other still sealed ... they might want to keep a customer happy with a little service after the sale .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    After years of experience, I'm sure the only ones who benefit from cover scents are the guys selling it. You will not fool the nose of a buck or a bull. Stay downwind, and move slow.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

I have found that the smell of wood smoke and beer works well.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Banned

I have my doubts about cover up scents, but I do try to get reasonably scent free before I hunt. I have a keen nose and can smell the perfumes and such in most laundry detergents and soaps so I wash my hunting clothes in the scent free stuff and take a shower before going out using the scent free soap or just plain old Ivory. I hunt primarily from tree stands and ground blinds and have a lot of them come very close to me completely unaware. I try to keep my clothes from picking up household smells, and I wear rubber boots, I really think the scent you leave on the ground matters.

If you're really bent on the coverup scent, something that was recommended to me and I tried a few years was to go around collecting various leaves and twigs from stuff that's growing in your area, boil a bunch of it and put the "tea" in a spray bottle. Mist this stuff on your boots and clothes. I never saw any real evidence that it worked, but never saw any evidence or reason to believe it hurt anything and it's free.

If you're bent

They work the same was as if you put on fu-fu smelling after shave after a hard day's work instead of taking a shower.
    You just smell like a sweaty bum with perfume on it.

Game animals can smell a fly fart 2 miles away. The best way to hide from them is to stay down wind.
    As for using 'cover scent' to hide from an animal's nose----- the joke is on you.

Something that is effective:
    Look at your clothes under a black light or a bug-zapper.
    If they 'glow',,,, find something else to wear. Deer can see that effect in the daytime.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

As stated, strive to stay downwind. But diesel works as well as anything in farm country. We use diesel soaked corn in the hog traps so we won’t trap deer; but guess what?

Didn't realize deer piss had an expiration date on it.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Hmm. I wonder if it expires, or just has a 'best by' date.

EVERYONE!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    How do you get them to pee in a jar? They just run from me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    How do you get them to pee in a jar? They just run from me.
    gotta be quick and have a wide mouthed jar ! Lol
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

I just walk through the cow poop and that has always worked.

Boolit Master
    I have heard that Deer love apples. So, how about showering using apple scented soap, hair conditioner etc.??
    R.D.M.

I actually saw a "study" some time ago comparing buck reaction to doe urine to human urine....it showed similar reactions. Hmmmmm... No, I can't produce the document, I also don't think that it was a randomized controlled double blinded study. Just comical!

Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    I actually saw a "study" some time ago comparing buck reaction to doe urine to human urine..
    It works.
    When I used to hunt, if I saw a buck scrape from where my blind was, I'd wizzz on it.
    A couple times I saw a young buck come by, smell around the area, and start looking for something to hump.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    try a dryer sheet works as good as any
    deer are like their cousin a goat. try to hide something from a goat, he will find it, deer will go check the smell too.
    i have never been in a tree or blind. and have to get deer for the city guys .
    dont hunt, dont eat them. but will drop one if they want one. most take about 20min.or less. and ONLY 1 shot. ammo is not worth wasting, and/or meat so head shot dont have to track. never lost but one that walked about 30 min later . but she had a bad headache from patch off the forehead.
    movement is the KEY . they can pick up me in a window watching. so they can pick you up if you move the gun

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    movement is the KEY . they can pick up me in a window watching. so they can pick you up if you move the gun
    Their eye sight for detecting movement is amazing.

My Dad swore a deer or turkey could see movement in the whites of your eyes at 100 yards.

EVERYONE!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Their eye sight for detecting movement is amazing.

My Dad swore a deer or turkey could see movement in the whites of your eyes at 100 yards.
    Being above their line of sight helps tremendously. I've shot about as many from the ground in some manner of blind or another as I have from tree stands, but I will always try to get in a tree if possible. It really doesn't take much height, 12 feet or so will do it. If you can stay quiet, they don't look up.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Over 50 years ago, my Dad and I stopped in to a sporting goods store in our small town that a friend of my Dad owned to pick up our deer licenses a couple of days before season opened. They had just received a display of "cover scent" in and were all excited about it. He gave us a container of it to try out. Opening day, we got up early to go hunting and Dad thought we ought to try out the cover scent so we sprayed some on our hunting clothes. I remember it had the strong odor of apples. We left the house and before daylight, we were in the woods on the farm. We were sitting against trees - maybe 50 foot apart overlooking a long swamp on the farm. Just at daybreak, we heard noise behind us and we looked at each other. We both kept very still, thinking the it was deer coming through from behind and we would hopefully let them pass. Hah! All of a sudden my Dad was watching me and laughing out loud just as I felt heavy warm breath on the side of my neck. I turned, and there was one of our Holsteins getting ready to lick my head. I started laughing and before we knew it, we had the entire herd of Holsteins - about thirty - surrounding us sniffing. WE knew they had access to the woodlot but figured there would be up near the barn like they usually were. Yep . . . that "cover scent" certainly worked well. We never did see a deer that morning but we mad it a point to stop in at our friend's sporting goods store to report how well the "cover scent" worked in calling the herd in.

Whee we lived in lower MI, our county had one of the highest deer populations as well as car-deer accidents. They were so used to seeing humans, hearing farm machinery, etc. that I don't think until a few days of people banging away at them that they even paid attention.
    IMHO, "cover scent" products are like "go fasters" for cars or the "latest" in "have to haves".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast