MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: coverup scent

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gon2shoot View Post
    I have found that the smell of wood smoke and beer works well.
    As does bacon & eggs.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Next year im going to rub myself all over my truck's grill, bumper and headlights before i go hunt.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    Long time ago I had deer hunting teenagers coming home in the evening covered with "Scent-Bloc". I also had a big black dog that wanted to bite them in their cami. (Dog's mother was a german shepherd, daddy was a big black dog). So the twilight game was leash KC and chase them in the dark New Hampshire October evening. KC could track them just fine, didn't understand climbing trees, would run right on by. By the time we got home the boys were out of cami, still a little stinky, and KC would be embarrassed, I've been chasing my boys? Next time same thing, over and over, stinky cami is going to get bit. KC hated stinky cami. That's how we taught KC to track. Once she got the idea, she could track our toddler for a mile. She was a great dog, a born babysitter. Never bit strangers, 'cause I was standing on her leash. "Scent-Bloc" works I guess, KC didn't know what they were. Bow-musket-rifle deer season was good fun.

Bourbon, cigar smoke and lots of really good smoked/grilled meat seems to work.....all stunk up in the same clothes I've probably been wearing for 4-5 days. Downwind....of course.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine was out calling coyotes.

He walked up a trail and set up a calling stand.

Five minutes into the calling a coyote sauntered right up that very same trail.

My friend had used a cover sent named “Earth” for the first time that morning.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Try patchouli oil . Thy will think you are a vegan and come over so you can pet them.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

The idea of cover scent reminds me of the picture with a Customs dog and its handler trying give it one of those 'beggin strips'.

The dog was looking at him rather sternly, and the caption under the picture was something like:

'I can find a gram of cocaine in a hooker's butt. And you think I can't tell what's fake bacon'?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have started sitting those 1800 pound round bales by my set ups and towers.......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    I have started sitting those 1800 pound round bales by my set ups and towers.......
    I think that’s pretty wise!

A large amount of hay gives off its own odors that the animals have no reason to fear and also floods the area with them. That dilutes the human presence.

Many wild animals live in the proximity of humans, if they panicked every time they got a whiff they would not thrive. The trick in those circumstances is to not push the threshold of their comfort level.

It just depends on the circumstances the animals live in.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned
    Honey-roasted peanut butter works real well when hunting black bears. Just don’t put any on yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    After years of experience, I'm sure the only ones who benefit from cover scents are the guys selling it. You will not fool the nose of a buck or a bull. Stay downwind, and move slow.
    NAILED it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    After years of experience, I'm sure the only ones who benefit from cover scents are the guys selling it. You will not fool the nose of a buck or a bull. Stay downwind, and move slow.
    Understated.
    We have snow. I have put doe urine swatches near scrapes where several whitetail bucks frequent. There are no tracks in the snow to investigate the patches. Watching these bucks trail a doe, their nose is to the ground and they seldom look up.
    I suspect that doe in estrus urine that is fresh combined with the scent of the glands is what they like.
    As for cover up scents, your scent is warm, it rises in cool fall air, even in a breeze. A breeze also dilutes your scent.
    I have been less than 15 yards from deer , upwind and on the ground, in camo and they have not scented me. When they saw me move they did start, but there seemed to be no reaction to scent.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    I don't know about the deer where you live . but around me they are constantly on edge, lots and lots of coyote pressure I guess, and if they are downwind of you they gonna smell you and tear on out of there. unless you been hand feeding them and their babies corn and apples for years.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Understated.
    We have snow. I have put doe urine swatches near scrapes where several whitetail bucks frequent. There are no tracks in the snow to investigate the patches. Watching these bucks trail a doe, their nose is to the ground and they seldom look up.
    I suspect that doe in estrus urine that is fresh combined with the scent of the glands is what they like.
    As for cover up scents, your scent is warm, it rises in cool fall air, even in a breeze. A breeze also dilutes your scent.
    I have been less than 15 yards from deer , upwind and on the ground, in camo and they have not scented me. When they saw me move they did start, but there seemed to be no reaction to scent.
    Bucks don't go to a scrape to check them. They go downwind, usually 50-100 yards away. If they catch the scent, then they will follow the trail. No need for them to go directly to the scrape to check, their nose tells them the way. They go to the scrape every 3-4 days to freshen them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    Try patchouli oil . Thy will think you are a vegan and come over so you can pet them.
    This made my day, thanks. Big anti-vegan here bahaha!

I believe it really depends on the area you hunt if the deer are used to seeing and smelling cars or tractors or whatever walking into the woods with that type of scent ain't really gonna bother them too much same with wood smoke if there's houses around with wood burners there used to it . I do know that they must really love the smell of coffee ! Half the deer I've killed have walk by the minute I crack my thermos and pour a cup
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

ive parked my jeep and walked in the 1/4 mile to my blind and came back out at night to see deer tracks only feet away from the jeep so maybe gas would be a good one. I just take a shower before i go out and wash my clothes often. I aint smelling like a skunk or some pine tree.

Never saw the need. I have found that sitting very still pretty much negates any scent in a given area.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Before I retired from archery hunting, washed all my hunting clothes, underwear to coat & hat, using a detergent designed for hunters, no scent or UV brighteners. Wore rubber boots, kept everything sealed in a large tote in the bed of my pick-up, under the bed cover, with some fresh cut cedar branches. Dressed/undressed in the field. If the wind was wrong they would smell me in the tree stand. The does would stomp and snort, even if they couldn't see you. I think maybe the most important thing was the rubber boots and tucking your pant/coverall into them...they couldn't seem to detect where I walked like they could with my regular hunting boots. Anything that wasn't a natural smell will put them on alert, never believed in any artificial producted scents, thought to a deer it wouldn't be close to the real deal. Keep downwind to be sucessful.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

There’s the old Redd Fox joke about a lady salesman with a flatulence problem. She got on the elevator on the 1st floor by herself, door closed and she released some abdominal pressure, then pulled out a bottle of pine scent. Of course, a drunk got on at the next floor, sniffed a time or two and the lady, thinking she had a potential sale, commented about the fresh smell. He responded by saying it smelled like someone pooped a pine tree. A human smells a Big Mac, a deer I’ve been told, smells two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and a sesame seed bun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast