Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google Searches for Reloading Ammo Explode...

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I am doing the best I can not to get banned from this site so Bye.
    Must be something about we New Hampshire folks....no more comments in this thread from me either.
    I just hope people learn from this shortage.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    I stopped reading after Mustang's post. I agree with every word of it.

I started the slow build up of "stuff" about 15 years ago. I did without other things to make the investments. I will never forget one instance. I was a new trap shooter and bought a ton of shot for $22/bag. Everyone at the lunch counter at the club laughed at me....until it climbed to $32/bag a few months later....and some expected me to sell it for $22/bag.

I have factory pistol ammunition that I will be selling. It will not be offered on this site. If I ask 15% below market value, I will be ostracized by the "grasshoppers" as a deplorable hoarder and speculator. There are buyers on Gunbroker who will establish the "fair and reasonable" price.

I feel empathy for those just starting...not for others who have been shooting for more than 6 years, unless they are dirt poor. I help out the locals in those circumstances who are my real friends. IMHO, anyone with more than a dozen guns, that cannot afford to shoot them, should do some hard thinking about priorities.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    So, you want to control the price of only certain things, like food or the method by which to obtain food.

Which means you would control the food supply.

Nothing dictatorial about that, is there. I'm certain you have my best interest at heart.
    NO. I would only be in control of MY food supply. In other words, I will protect what I already have. Matthew chapter 7, verse 12. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    NO. I would only be in control of MY food supply. In other words, I will protect what I already have. Matthew chapter 7, verse 12. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
    This is what I expect from others: The free flow of goods and services at market prices.

I don't expect someone to say " well, it should cost $4000 to repair your vehicle, but I'll buy the parts myself and repair it for $500."

Nor do I want them to attempt to charge me $7000.

That is gouging.

For someone to sanctimoniously declare "I will pay (1/4 market price) for my primers, and anyone wanting more is gouging." is ridiculous.

I'm sure they would be happy to sell silver at $6/oz, even though right now it's over $25.

Although, I do realize I'm wasting my time regarding this subject. There are too many folks on this forum who are, and will remain, unprepared. Probably throughout their entire life.

Proverbs 21:20
    There is desirable treasure, And oil in the dwelling of the wise, But a foolish man squanders it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    It's a mindset, not who you are or what you want to be, but what you have, not you. Look at those things. What can you do with it? Think outside the box!
    I have already read your next post so I get where you are going but this post can be misinterpreted. It is more important who you are than what you have. Do not set your value based on your wealth or possessions. You are not what you own.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Tim:
    I'll give you an example. A soda can, aluminum. Shims for a scope, shims for wood projects, a #11BP cap, gas checks, etc
    Quite some years ago I decided to prepare for shortages. I prepared by not building a huge stockpile but by learning how to make primers, how to make black powder and white powder. I have muzzleloaders and cap and ball revolvers. I do have a fair amount of ammo and primers and powder. I have so much brass that I was selling it until I got tired of the hassle of shipping it. I took a lot of low value brass to the scrap yard.

I understand that if things go south, ammo, primers and such will be good things to have just like gold, silver, booze, over the counter medicines and maybe toilet paper.

I think it will be just as important to be knowledgeable. Without the internet some people will have no access to knowledge, they will know almost nothing. Without a youtube video they could not fix anything.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I'm wondering how long it will be before the EPA blocks citizen purchases of lead.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master

Two Homolies:

(One) Two days ago I was driving and turning onto another road via the Underpass. To the left was a person with the cardboard sign saying "Anything Will Help". He had a tattered coat, and patched shirt and trouser standing outside with a slight drizzle. I was on my way to the Veterans Food Pantry to donate a bunch of canned goods and soups the wife had cleared from the pantry because they were nearing the suggested shelf life. I told the man "I Will NOT GIVE YOU MONEY"; but I gave him two cans of soup - which as I began my turn at the light change he rapidly went and deposited in his old ratty back pack. I believe in this instance I did the right thing ; and there will be benefit and appreciation by the individual. Often times I see "Beggars" along the road at the Northern House who have the latest and greatest "Outdoor Sports Clothing", and new boots, and $500.00 hacking packs. This makes one cautious in their donations. Years ago in Morehead City North Carolina the wife and I had just been transferred to Cherry Point MCAS and had bought a house that had been the Old Baptist Parsonage which had set empty for 7 years and needed painting, repairs, and lots of yard work. We saw a man at the local strip mall who had the card board sign "Will Work for Food". We stopped and i started discussing the work I needed help with: Nope I'm allergic to paint, Nope I have a back problem and can't rake leave and bend over picking up brush, Nope I have a fear of heights and can't help with the roof, ..... So I thanked him and did not contribute; but went in to do our shopping for r[house stuff. Leaving we saw the man walking down the road a 1/2 block ahead, so my wife and I decided to "Shadow Him". He turned down the next block, got into a brand new Mercedes, and drove away. Yes a single example; but one that makes me hesitant to GIVE MONEY to people, and caused a desire to see some minimal exchange in return for help.

(Two): I have a friend who owns a business that specializes in Arranging, provisioning, and catering parties. His business has been in the toilet since February. He has as long as possible carried his staff during these "Lock Down" cratered business periods. He is down from about 75 FT/PT staff to maybe a dozen and fears he will have to cut even more of his Staff (Friends all). He likes to build AR platform guns - none of that the last 6 months, and he likes to shoot(but does limited reloading). Two weeks ago he held a Halloween Party for all his Staff's children; trying to keep their spirits up. My wife and I were invited; and my friend introduced me to a friend of his who left the Navy about 8 months ago (Navy SEAL). turns out his friend loves to shoot 9mm; but alas - no ammo and he never had a real opportunity to learn to reload because of hectic schedules, back to back deployments, and overcommitments for years (Been there done that - I understand and empathize). Any way; the three of us are getting together in a week or so for a few days in a row to reload. My friend and I will bring our "Resources to the Table", and the former Navy Seal will bring his work ethic and determination to learn about reloading together. We will share camaraderie, old stories, and turn a diverse set of components into ammunition that each of the three of us can use. I'll be bringing my casting equipment, several dozens of molds, and Powder Coating/Oven setups for Cast Boolits. I'll also bring my Swaging equipment and several hundred feet of Copper Tubing to make Jacketed Bullets.

Moral of the Harangue: We need to help each other out. We need to be compassionate with others, yet we must also consider some level of accountability for those seeking our help. My opinion is we will see challenging times for at least the next 4 years; we need to be ready to support and assist each other; and to bring the wayward Prodigal Sons of society into our community if they see the wrongness of their past ways and change.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 11-21-2020 at 05:37 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Moral of the Harangue: We need to help each other out. We need to be compassionate with others, yet we must also consider some level of accountability for those seeking our help. My opinion is we will see challenging times over at least the next 4 years; we need to be ready to support and assist each others; and to bring the wayward Prodigal Sons of society into our community if they see the wrongness of their past ways and change.
    Agreed. The OP was just talking about the explosion of new reloaders (no pun intended) amid the shortage of components. I'm as tired as anyone else of constantly hearing "I'm new to this and can't get anything" but the correct response should not be "Well, I guess it sucks to be you."
    This is a prime opportunity to welcome new people, to help them out, and above all to make sure they're on the right side of the political fence. The next four years are gonna be tough.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Agreed. The OP was just talking about the explosion of new reloaders (no pun intended) amid the shortage of components. I'm as tired as anyone else of constantly hearing "I'm new to this and can't get anything" but the correct response should not be "Well, I guess it sucks to be you."
    This is a prime opportunity to welcome new people, to help them out, and above all to make sure they're on the right side of the political fence. The next four years are gonna be tough.
    You are 100% correct. IF I had excess reloading components, (more than I will need until this situation goes away) I would sell some for what I have in it.

Banned
    I got in to the reloading thing in the late 70's, maybe early 80's. Once upon a time I shot a lot, and reloaded for both a hobby and for affordable shooting.
    I haven't been shooting as much as I would prefer the last few years, instead working and finally making decent money lately.
    I never owned any of the so called assault weapons. In fact only my .22 Weatherby rifle and a few handguns are even semi auto. All my long guns except that one are either bolt, lever, pump or single shot. So I was never really prone to shooting massive amounts of ammo as fast as I could pull the trigger.
    I buy extra components when they are plentiful and reasonable. I am currently well stocked on almost all my calibers, except my latest acquisition, and have plenty of components to reload for quite some time. And unless things take a really bad turn for the worst, which they very well may here shortly, I am in no jeopardy.
    I am also NOT out shooting up what I do have to any degree.
    I have family and friends who do not reload, nor stock up, and may need my help.
    This is the worst shortage I have ever experienced, and it will take years for us to recover, IF we recover.
    Putting two of the most radically corrupted fools in America in office right now is a really bad move at a really bad time.
    A couple of executive orders could render reloading components virtually impossible to obtain by anyone.
    Along with ammo.
    American ammo factories could be forced to turn all their resources to providing ammo for the military only, and use our tax dollars to pay for every single round.
    And a total ban on all imports of any ammunition.
    Yes, that IS the worst possible scenario..........but it is also all too possible.
    So chill out, don't waste too much ammo right now, and pray for our country.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I If I ask 15% below market value, I will be ostracized by the "grasshoppers" as a deplorable hoarder and speculator.
    Back when gas was $4. a gallon, I was talking to a guy at work who was complaining about the rip off, and gouging, etc.

I told him it was too bad he didn't have a oil well in his back yard so he could sell its production for 1/2 the
    market value and do his part to bring gas prices down.

The fella didn't talk to me for a month.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If I had bought up with the plan of reselling at high prices at time of shortage,then I would be greedy.....but I bought up when components were offered cheap to clear surplus,as happens from time to time.I have no plans of reselling anything,and if someone is desperate for a few rounds of ammo to protect himself ,then I will gladly give him six primers........but I certainly will not sell him 10k carton ,I have no need of a few bucks,I just want to be able to do what I want to do.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Well I have the current restrictions of apartment life, where it's not necessarily in the lease that I'm allowed to store powder in my place. Technically, they prohibit "explosives" and wish to limit "Highly Flammables". However, Smokeless Powder is marked in that second category.

There are no parts of my lease that restrict the storage or possession of firearms on property, but I'm keeping them both ammunition and firearms locked. I don't want to make any unnecessary headaches for my kind landlord.

Casting my own lead is certainly out of the question until I have a more permanent address. However, I'm still peeking in and doing my research regarding the procedures.

I'm quite thankful that there are a variety of sells that offer boolits both PC'd and lubed to help get me started at a fair price.

Looking through potentially 15lbs of their extra fancy, quality controlled Lyman #2 would cost me a little less than the same amount to purchase finished Boolits from Hoosier Bullets at around 10 cents apiece. That way, I don't even need to worry about splattering lead of myself!

While my .38 158gn SWC's have a gorgeous, thick coating of Hi Tek, while GalvinGround's 200gn .45 SWC's have a coating that's flaking off even in storage. I would call it a fluke, but it's wholly understandable that you can't always get perfect quality from an independent manufacturer. For the price, it's a very competitive to the lead itself.

I also see that I have a fine opportunity to support the small businesses manufacturing these things until I have the capability to do it on my own.
    My point was more to the fact that money seems to be a primary issue along with availability. Go to every gas station that changes tires and ask about wheel weights, ask contractors for lead from roof flashing or old shower demolitions, etc. Basically cost you some gas money or a few dollars. You can't melt lead but you can sort and accumulate then trade those for other items. Always a way to do something if you are willing. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    My point was more to the fact that money seems to be a primary issue along with availability. Go to every gas station that changes tires and ask about wheel weights, ask contractors for lead from roof flashing or old shower demolitions, etc. Basically cost you some gas money or a few dollars. You can't melt lead but you can sort and accumulate then trade those for other items. Always a way to do something if you are willing. Good luck.
    ....and I think that is half the fun of casting and reloading - the scrounging and trading of stuff. You would be surprised at how much lead you can find simply by asking.
    You can cast, lube and size bullets then trade them for things you might need.
    Reloads are traded for things like seedling veggies in the spring.
    Try it....you might enjoy the fun.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

I totally agree. Scrounging around for stuff I could easily buy is part of the whole enjoyable process.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I wouldn't have started off on the right foot reloading if it weren't for the generosity of fellow forum users. I've even met a local forum user in person and he's lent a hand as well.

I've purchased everything myself except the components that are in critically short supply, like primers and brass.

Remember the Bible story about the Silver Talents. You either use it or lose it.
    PM me

Boolit Master

At my old storage spot, about 10 years ago, we were friendly with everyone. I'd be smelting outside and every one would stop to see what I was "cooking ." They weren't reloaders, but found it interesting. They would drop off old sinkers, nets, pieces of lead they didn't want. Be surprised how that adds up.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

That was fantastic. People have to wake up .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I totally agree. Scrounging around for stuff I could easily buy is part of the whole enjoyable process.
    Yeah, the looking can be tedious, but very satisfying when you score. I get the same satisfaction casting and loading ammo.

But, as was said before, maybe it's a mindset born of different times. I load lots of pistol ammo on a very basic progressive press (SDB) that I've owned for twenty five or so years. I feel no need to spend a whole lot of money for new reloading gear, though new and younger guys seem to mostly view ammo loading as a chore, and in buying the latest and fastest reloading systems can spend twenty times the money I did. I am just not willing to spend the money they are, though I am at a point in my life where long time frugality may have put me on better financial footing than many of them.

Different times, different sensibilities, different priorities.