RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google Searches for Reloading Ammo Explode...

Boolit Buddy

Google Searches for Reloading Ammo Explode...

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-f...nwide-shortage

Sadly they may learn how, but won't be able to find the components (as we all know). A case of "too late to the rodeo".

Boolit Master

All I can say, is "sorry if you're late to the dance." My condolences.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    If I want reloading components,I just look in my safe.....cartons of primers I bought because 10k was a few cents a k cheaper than 1k,big jugs of powder I bought on special to save $5,and bullet moulds I will certainly never wear out.....Sheets of lead ,now all I need is the inclination.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    If I want reloading components,I just look in my safe.....cartons of primers I bought because 10k was a few cents a k cheaper than 1k,big jugs of powder I bought on special to save $5,and bullet moulds I will certainly never wear out.....Sheets of lead ,now all I need is the inclination.
    I'm one of those people that started out my Reloading endeavors in Late August. Now, If only it were easy to have even 500 CCI Primers. Right now 500 primers are selling for over $100 on Gunbroker, but that's gunbroker for you.

It's a tragedy seeing reloaders screwing over fellow reloaders just because they are new to it all and short on supplies.

I know that I shouldn't be paying more than 3 cents per-primer in the future. I'd be happy to buy from a reloader that would be a lot less cruel than other sellers at the moment.
    While I have some primed brass thanks to a Boolit friend, I know that it's not going to last forever. I'd totally be up for buying them from someone at $50 a brick, plus shipping, but considering how tricky it is to ship primers by themselves, that may not be the best solution.

Boolit Buddy
    So, I've been reloading now for over 40 years. I've got primers that cost me anywhere from less than a penny to nearly 2 cents apiece. If I sell to someone for 3 cents each and then have to go buy more for 20 cents each I am getting the short end of the stick. If I sell to 'fellow reloaders' at the current prevailing price of 20 cents each and then have to go buy more for my own consumption I fail to see how I'm 'screwing over' anybody. And no, I don't sell my supplies to anybody...

Boolit Master

Reload-a-nomics 101.

Whining about "...how expensive stuff is".....you should have listened last time the shortage visited us.
    I stocked up. I have plenty of lead anyway, shortage or no.
    Primers? Check.
    Powder? Check
    Brass? Check
    Gas checks? Check.
    Brass? Check.
    FMJ inventory? Check.
    People, learn your lesson or pay the price.
    Period.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I'm one of those people that started out my Reloading endeavors in Late August. Now, If only it were easy to have even 500 CCI Primers. Right now 500 primers are selling for over $100 on Gunbroker, but that's gunbroker for you.

It's a tragedy seeing reloaders screwing over fellow reloaders just because they are new to it all and short on supplies.

I know that I shouldn't be paying more than 3 cents per-primer in the future. I'd be happy to buy from a reloader that would be a lot less cruel than other sellers at the moment.
    While I have some primed brass thanks to a Boolit friend, I know that it's not going to last forever. I'd totally be up for buying them from someone at $50 a brick, plus shipping, but considering how tricky it is to ship primers by themselves, that may not be the best solution.
    Thank you!! I agree 100%. Those guys have nothing else to say but " you should have seen this coming" are not being the least bit helpful and truly are not representative of the other folks who really enjoy this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Thank you!! I agree 100%. Those guys have nothing else to say but " you should have seen this coming" are not being the least bit helpful and truly are not representative of the other folks who really enjoy this hobby.
    Have you never heard of the children's fable "The Grasshopper and the Ant?"
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Have you never heard of the children's fable "The Grasshopper and the Ant?"
    I have heard of the fable. The difference is that I'm starting my reloading endeavors against the wishes of my family. Otherwise, I would have started this a lot earlier if they gave me the opportunity.
    From my perspective, I'm an adult, and I'm still being financially supported by them, but since I've never had any reason to restrict my right to own firearms my entire life, why have my folks stop me from arming myself other than propriety?

They have been anxious, but fairly supportive of what was technically a power-play on my part.

Pandemic or not, I likely would have purchased a firearm at this part of my life anyways. I had spent my summer doing research on my local laws and on reloading.
    I wouldn't have started off on the right foot reloading if it weren't for the generosity of fellow forum users. I've even met a local forum user in person and he's lent a hand as well.

I've purchased everything myself except the components that are in critically short supply, like primers and brass.

Remember the Bible story about the Silver Talents. You either use it or lose it.

Boolit Master

I am doing the best I can not to get banned from this site so Bye.

Boolit Master

I know that some will see this as a castigation of those who did not prepare; but it really is not. I am trying to be positive in the following:

Many are being forced into reloading or moving there as they see the ability to get Factory Ammo is going to be a long term problem. Good for them; many of us will give advice and at times help. BUT; they have to accept conditions as they exist today - and not blame those who made choices and bought materials throughout the last 4, 8, 12, 40 years and put them away for "Hard Times". Those who did so may have forgone that pack or two of smokes every week, or that weekend excursion at times, or reduced their dinners out with the wife/family to "Lay in Stores". They may have practiced "Application of Study/Analysis/Research/Shooting Frugality" to ensure their stores grew slowly; yet expanding their knowledge of the Ballistics Discipline in all it's shapes and forms.

On the other hand; many who are looking to get into reloading, keep reloading although materials are getting hard to find, or are looking at their small horde of Factory Ammo drying up - or even totally gone. Some may be because they are young or new to reloading - through circumstances they are late to the party. Materials are hard or impossible to come by and they are frustrated - but that is not the fault of those who are described in the paragraph above.

What disturbs me is "Human Nature" that I see present across the country. The jealousy when someone else has Materials, but I can't get those materials so those are BAD PEOPLE. Or when someone who scrimped and put aside over the years is lambasted for being self serving, arrogant, bragadosious, or...

I tend to have more compassion/sympathy/empath/commonality with those who prepared compared to those who did not prepare. In my youth; I was one of those who because of came from the less financially blessed (i.e. pay was $300.00 month when I went into military - and pay in most of Texas was depressed for those entering work force), but I saw reality and started accumulating a little at a time so I could shoot more by reloading.

I see a larger problem, that being society in the USA as a general statement has come to believe they should have immediate gratification. If they want it now; then they should be able to GET IT NOW despite what reality may be. A significant part of society is one paycheck away from bankruptcy, has little to no savings, has little food set aside for an emergency (even a weekend weather event), and... This spills over into our Reloading Arena.

Many on this site are older, more knowledgeable, and experienced more aspects of life. In days of old these would have been qualifications for Tribal/Community leadership, and children would have been taught to see these Sage Leaders to be heard and their words weighed, contemplated, and learned from. Seems many no longer even comprehend this concept. I have seen many on this site donate to others through a variety of mechanisms, offer at reasonable prices materials to others, and offer ideas on how to reduce the impact. We have numerous threads on this site detailing how one can "Reload Primers" by fabricating primer compound, or through the use of alternate products such as Toy Caps. Yet; some complain and rather than trying to "Work Their Problem" by attempting to apply some of these potential solutions, they instead seek to solicit others to "Spoon Feed Them" , or some even attempt to "Shame" others for having the audacity to prepare over time or "Fix their Problem" by using some of that Sage Wisdom that has been shared openly with others.

Those who have prepared will continue to enjoy their sport and be prepared should things get worse. Those who were caught short, and have some level of "Drive" will seek to solve their Challenges, learn from the experience, and be better when we come out of this. Then there will be those who are irredeemable and will blame others for all their challenges in life and advocate that someone else should solve their problems/issues/desires. Rant through.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 11-20-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy

AMEN to this ⬆️
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

"The Grasshopper & the Ant" works for reloading as well as surviving unemployment during pandemic...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Mustang, I did 20 year's in the Army... 11 Bravo tuning short supplies was something you got use to.. you knew to stalk up and make it last.. you didn’t know when you was going to get more... loved your comments.. it goes with everything these days. I retired in 97...; All this shortage is not new... everyone should have seen it coming. But again well put.
    Last edited by Deakota57; 11-20-2020 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Did not put Mustangs name in thereply

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I. I have seen many on this site donate to others through a variety of mechanisms, offer at reasonable prices materials to others,

Yet; some complain and rather than trying to "Work Their Problem" by attempting to apply some of these potential solutions, they instead seek to solicit others to "Spoon Feed Them" , or some even attempt to "Shame" others for having the audacity to prepare over time ]
    That's where I'm at. I've given away reloading stuff to folks who want and appreciate it, rather than hassle with S&S and see it go to people
    whose only contribution to the site is swooping in on S&S to snap up any good deal. Or, ask for help, then ya never hear from 'em again.
    I keep enough supplies on hand to rock along for a year or two, but I don't try to vacuum off the gun store shelf every time I go in.
    Also, the older I get, the less patience I have for those that seek confirmation for doing something wrong rather than info. on doing it right.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Mustang, very well done!!!! You explained perfectly!!! Instead of steaks and bottles of Crown Royal, ( which is nice every now and then) I ate ground meat and drank coke zeros then bought reloading supplies with the profits! Scrounged up,lead, bought boolit molds, I feel sure I’m preaching to the choir here,but I saw this before. Anyone get this now,” hey...........brother,( you know what’s com8ng next), you still loadin’ Them rifle shells?” I caint find none!! Guess I’m gone havta start reloadin’now!! Well, there might be a problem with that road!! ( tried to advise them, but, what does a crazy old guy who casts lead boolits know anyway???? ) I’ll help where I can,though.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    The above post was not to bash anyone, life has it’s set of priorities and I don’t know anyone’s problems but my own. So don’t get offended,please. Those that survive this will learn.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Instead of steaks and bottles of Crown Royal, ( which is nice every now and then) I ate ground meat and drank coke zeros then bought reloading supplies with the profits! Scrounged up,lead, bought boolit molds,.
    Reminds me of a couple of people.
    One from when times were good.
    A fella got invited on a deer hunting trip, and then asked me to borrow the hunting rifle
    I'd saved up for & bought, adding 'goodies' when I could afford them, then tweaked it out just for deer hunting in Texas.
    New stock, Simmons 6X, the ammo, trigger & speed lock firing pin, everything I could do in the garage.

I told him he should have bought a hunting rifle before he spent $8,000 for tires, rims, and a lift kit for his truck the month before.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I have heard of the fable. The difference is that I'm starting my reloading endeavors against the wishes of my family. Otherwise, I would have started this a lot earlier if they gave me the opportunity.
    From my perspective, I'm an adult, and I'm still being financially supported by them, but since I've never had any reason to restrict my right to own firearms my entire life, why have my folks stop me from arming myself other than propriety?

They have been anxious, but fairly supportive of what was technically a power-play on my part.

Pandemic or not, I likely would have purchased a firearm at this part of my life anyways. I had spent my summer doing research on my local laws and on reloading.
    I wouldn't have started off on the right foot reloading if it weren't for the generosity of fellow forum users. I've even met a local forum user in person and he's lent a hand as well.

I've purchased everything myself except the components that are in critically short supply, like primers and brass.

Remember the Bible story about the Silver Talents. You either use it or lose it.
    Sorry your timing is such that entry at this point is expensive but that is how life goes. I know you would like to be treated as an adult as you state but until you make your own money you are at the mercy of those supporting you. You can still do things like scrounge for lead via wheel weights, roof flashing, xray walls from demolitions, etc. and trade them for components. Where there is a will there is a way. May not be easy but neither is life. Good luck to you. Plenty of info and help here if you would like advise but many have been burned in the past.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast