RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Computer monitor ?

Boolit Master

Computer monitor ?

My daughter gave me a pc and as I'm shopping for a monitor, I'm seeing specs for supported operating systems. Is that really an issue? I plan on using linux.
    Same question for keyboard and mouse.
    Thanks.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

OS isn't usually an issue with a monitor. Video card yes, monitor not so much.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Look at the back of the computer, and see what output socket there is for a monitor. VGA, DIVX, HDMI. Then shop for a monitor that will be compatible. No need for a 4k monitor unless that computer has a high end graphics card.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull-Moose View Post
    Look at the back of the computer, and see what output socket there is for a monitor. VGA, DIVX, HDMI. Then shop for a monitor that will be compatible. No need for a 4k monitor unless that computer has a high end graphics card.
    Just fyi but DIVX is a video codec i think you were thinking of DVI port .

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 55" 4k tv for a monitor - no need for glasses and cheap

KBD and mouse should be USB - just plug them in and they work

Computer's video output will be DVI, HDMI or Display Port -> all interchangable with the correct cables but you should look for a monitor that has the same port so you don't need a special cable.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know. It has an hdmi for the monitor.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master

You dont need fancy monitors. Check the computer video out ports. Most for the past years have HDMI or the DVI some still have the older smaller funny square one. Make note of the options. Take a picture for reference.

Most TV have HDMI ports. Only monitors have the DVI ports (normally). A few TV may have the computer video input (small funny shapes rectangel).

The sell adapters for all those ports also. For normal office type work any computer monitor or TV will work made in the last 3 to 4 years. I go to pawn shops all the time and get decent sized TV and use them for monitors. Can get them for 50 bucks or less.

Pick up the TV or Monitor from a pawn shop. Make sure it works before buying. I recommend something in the 20 to 25 inch range. 25 is the best happy medium. Gives you plenty of screen room to play with aspect ratios and display sizing. I like to make my icons and text big enough to where I dont have to squint.

Only time fancy monitors or high end TV are required is for Ultra Definition video watching and video games. Office work you just need good enough to see the text and for that any old HD TV will work. 720p is do able with decent eye sight but 1080P would be best.

Any usb or blue tooth dongle type keyboard and mouse will work.

Os doesn't matter. They will all work. Most of my computers run Linux except my 5 year old Microsoft Surface Pro 2 in 1.

Linux mint is my preferred flavor of Linux followed. I run raspbian on my pi. Both are Ubuntu off shoots. But mint also has a Debian version I have tried and works equally aswell.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~