WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammo ??

Boolit Master

I was in a shop a few days ago and there was plenty of pistol ammo on the shelf. As long as you wanted 38-40, 44-40, or 44 special you were all set.

They were between $50 and $75 per box of 50 rounds .
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    I have been patronizing the same lgs for 25 years. Now I worry that they may have to reduce hours or close because they have so little stock to sell. Looks like a Russian grocery store did years back. I stocked up on primers and powder in March and did the same in February for .223 and 9mm ball. Already had plenty of 7.62 x 39 and 5.45 x 39. Got some cases of 54R and 8mm too. Should have bought more primers as I only have about 10K total. I don't shoot factory ammo much so that will last me quit awhile.

It is surprising that the hunting ammo went too.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

I can only guess, and am likely incorrect However, perhaps with the massive rush from people buying handguns and ammo.....caused the ammo producers to put all of their resources into handgun ammo, creating a shortage of long gun ammo! No basis for this.....just a though! memtb

The issue main issue is hoarding. Several of you guys have just stated this. If I see it, I'm buying, I might not need it, especially now, but I'll buy it. That is hoarding and along with the record gun sales it is just making things worse. I'd like a few boxes of factory 9mm self defense loads but big deal if I don't find them for a while. I've plenty of everything for a few years and I haven't bought anything but lead in a year.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    The issue main issue is hoarding. Several of you guys have just stated this. If I see it, I'm buying, I might not need it, especially now, but I'll buy it. That is hoarding and along with the record gun sales it is just making things worse. I'd like a few boxes of factory 9mm self defense loads but big deal if I don't find them for a while. I've plenty of everything for a few years and I haven't bought anything but lead in a year.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Soooooo you are "hoarding" a few years worth of ammo and are trying to lay blame on others for "hoarding"?

I have a certain amount of ammo in my stock, i am using that ammo. I might not be pulling the trigger at this moment, but at this moment i am using it.
    When you understand what i am saying, maybe you wont be so quick to demonize fellow patriots.

Eta: what you described is just an aspect of "demand" a change in "demand" is any change in the buyers behaviors or thoughts that is not dependant on price. In the case you listed, the buyer fears that nothing will be availiable in the future so better buy what he can. Its often called "panic buying" another explanation is that the buyer thinks he could use the ammo in a trade to get what he does want.
    In fact all of 2020 has just been one massive demand change, as noted by previous posters.
    Last edited by BrutalAB; 11-21-2020 at 11:56 AM.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Banned

Ammo ??

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The MSM is lying. Per the FBI the NIC's checks are more like 34,000,000. Normally only 1% are rejected. The NIC's check is used as the final point before sale. NIC's Also don't show multiple sales. Same for the 18 States that have link care permits. If you have a current permit a NIC's check is not needed. Actual sales are more like double the 17 Mil. MSM figures. Also the MSM was say 17 Mil in late July or early August.
    BATF reported 17 million. Of that number, 7 million were new/first time gun buyers.
    R/Griff

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    Soooooo you are "hoarding" a few years worth of ammo and are trying to lay blame on others for "hoarding"?

I have a certain amount of ammo in my stock, i am using that ammo. I might not be pulling the trigger at this moment, but at this moment i am using it.
    When you understand what i am saying, maybe you wont be so quick to demonize fellow patriots.

Eta: what you described is just an aspect of "demand" a change in "demand" is any change in the buyers behaviors or thoughts that is not dependant on price. In the case you listed, the buyer fears that nothing will be availiable in the future so better buy what he can. Its often called "panic buying" another explanation is that the buyer thinks he could use the ammo in a trade to get what he does want.
    In fact all of 2020 has just been one massive demand change, as noted by previous posters.

I believe that there is a vast difference from slowly accumulating over years and panic purchasing when supplies diminish! You have the prerogative of disagreeing! memtb

I see it as just different intensities of the same base behavior.
    Yes, the strain on the market is vastly different, but thats the nature of things. We are all humans and do what we are incentivized to do.

How is buying a box or two extra every other time you go buy ammo when you know you are not gonna shoot it before you buy more ammo amy different than buying every box you can find when you notice the shelves emptying and staying empty? The difference is incentive, the prospect of going some time without because its simply not availible to restock your supply is much more pressing in the second case. So we react accordingly. Its not evil, simply human nature to avoid a loss. (The drive to avoid loosing anything is pretty strong, take for example the feeling of having a gun stolen from you vs the joy you would have from a gun gifted to you, the pain outweighs the joy in almost everyone.)
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

It's not hoarding until you've exceeded a lifetime supply.

Over several decades, buying stuff I didn't need immediately is why I have adequate supplies of now-unobtainable brass for calibers like 11mm Mauser, .25-20 Stevens (Single Shot), .22 Lovell, .25-21 Stevens, .32 Ideal, and .28-30-120. Never mind the merely scarce ones like 8x57R, .32-40, .303 Savage, .25-20 WCF, 35 Remington, and .218 Bee. Ditto primers, ditto Varget. (Just wish I'd been greedier about IMR 4759, of late lamented memory.) Ditto wheelweights and Linotype.

I've admitted on this forum to having failed to "hoard" enough CCI Quiet .22 ammo, which I actually need for pest control around here, and for which there is simply no substitute. Like a fool I assumed it would always be as available as sliced bread.....wrong. Had to pay scalpers prices to rectify that mistake. OTOH what am I going to do with bricks and bricks of Thunderduds? Grandsons didn't use it all up, and now they're both graduated from college and half a continent away, gone to Texas.

I'm going to great lengths to make .25 Stevens Long (rimfire) and because I never bought enough .32 Long rimfire I've mutilated a couple of old rifles by converting breechblocks to centerfire. Wish I'd hoarded those 30 years ago when they were just $10 a box instead of $125. Yes, I do.
    Last edited by uscra112; 11-21-2020 at 03:04 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Who knew Casters were ahead of the curve? 100yrs behind the times but like everything it's coming back around the curve. I never knew how many "friends" I had until a couple of years ago during the last shortage

"You, like, really use tire weights to make ammo"?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

What we are about to experience is part of the reason that I started casting in the mid-‘70’s! I thought that this was going to happen much sooner! memtb

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    Breaking News: This will not help the current firearms/ammunition/component situation! While this may not directly affect anyone here.....think of “trickle down effect”! Jus Say’n! memtb

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendm...zine-they-own/
    If I had any of those awful things I might not admit it.

Boolit Master

Seems folks who yell hoarders cause they don't have any are the ones who had the chance and were to cheap to buy at the time.

May they enjoy the anxiety of it.

I just found this on another forum. It’s a very plausible explanation as to the shortages, primarily primers (pun intended)! A brief but, pretty good read! memtb
    https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/why-...pply-shortage/

Interesting point about the Remington bankruptcy. And Vista redirecting some CCI primers to Remington. And the dearth of foreign-sourced primers.

The days of doing multiple mag dumps for the fun of it are over. Start thinking like we single-shot shooters do.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I was at the scrapyard last week ,in the back of the payout office was a number of big(4ft sq) cartons of 9mm empties...had a silly impulse to pocket one,but Ive got more sense than that.Must have been at least 20 cartons full ,dunno how many cases.

That brass would be a valuable reloaders' resource. . . . . . IF there were primers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Pretty much covered but a combination of Covid, civil unrest and the (now) election of enemies of the Second Amendment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    Then you must not know where to look or your searching capabilities need improvement. I say this in all seriousness without any foul or harm intended.
    We have no local gun stores that carry reloading components. My only source is gun shows where I bought the last brick of large pistol primers the vendor had, and also online stores such as Midway, Graf's, Natchez, etc. etc., and those stores have been out of stock for a long, long time, so don't tell me that I do not know where to look.

Boolit Man

May I suggest that you also add to improve your odds:
    https://www.brownells.com/
    https://www.natchezss.com/
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Just was able to snag 8# Hodgdon H4895 from Natchez.
    Link to leave feedback for me.

Will Rogers 1879 - 1935:
    The problem ain't what people know. It's what people know that ain't so that's the problem.
    Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
    There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast