RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammo ??

Boolit Master

Ammo ??

I must have been under a rock this last year or something??? I've not bought factory ammo in years so I guess I'm not paying attention to detail these days,I saw primers disappearing a few months back,but never though about a day when we couldn't buy 270 or 243 or 30-06 off the shelf. What happened?
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 11-19-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    I must have been under a rock this last year or something???
    Apparently...

What happened?
    The 'Rona, widespread rioting and civil unrest, an election, all-time-record guns sales every month for the last several months...

Boolit Master
    17,000,000.00 guns bought this year is what happened. The ammo got slammed, they cant keep up.

Boolit Master

My helper emailed this morning looking for a box of 270 for deer season and a box of 243 for his son. Guess I'm not the only one under a rock,I guess handgun ammo makes sense but rifle hunting ammo? I'm not sure I'm buying that!!!!!!!!!!

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Man
    It's amazing to me what we neglect to see coming over the horizon. I've been watching this trend for some time now.
    I believe it's due to several factors: demand, politics, covid, etc.
    At any rate, I'm glad I could see some of this coming and made certain provisions for it. Not worried about hunting ammo or self-defense.

Boolit Master

I'm not worried,just a little shocked to see it happen.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a box of rifle ammo at wally world yesterday, period. Very little shotshell too.

Boolit Master

Friend and I went in Academy Sports today, he had no clue about the “ run”. He asked were was all the ammo, lol .
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    My helper emailed this morning looking for a box of 270 for deer season and a box of 243 for his son. Guess I'm not the only one under a rock,I guess handgun ammo makes sense but rifle hunting ammo? I'm not sure I'm buying that!!!!!!!!!!
    When there's absolutely nothing else to buy everyone gobbles up whatever is in stock. Rifle hunting ammo was the last to go, but alas here we are. I'm not sure why it is hard to believe... Most manufactures probably only schedule 1 or 2 runs per year of the ammo mentioned. It's not like there's a huge stockpile of 270 sitting somewhere.

I was sitting pretty good on most calibers and reloading components back in March when things started to go south. I noticed I was low on .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W ammo and brass. I bought a couple boxes of each. On a different forum I mentioned stocking up on such items and numerous posters thought the prospects of running out of those calibers was absurd and couldn't believe someone would stock up on calibers that will never sell out. Try to find some now...

Boolit Grand Master
    The only shotgun ammo on the Wal-Mart shelves around me was 28 ga. No rifle ammo at all.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    17,000,000.00 guns bought this year is what happened. The ammo got slammed, they cant keep up.
    The MSM is lying. Per the FBI the NIC's checks are more like 34,000,000. Normally only 1% are rejected. The NIC's check is used as the final point before sale. NIC's Also don't show multiple sales. Same for the 18 States that have link care permits. If you have a current permit a NIC's check is not needed. Actual sales are more like double the 17 Mil. MSM figures. Also the MSM was say 17 Mil in late July or early August.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The MSM is lying. Per the FBI the NIC's checks are more like 34,000,000. Normally only 1% are rejected. The NIC's check is used as the final point before sale. NIC's Also don't show multiple sales. Same for the 18 States that have link care permits. If you have a current permit a NIC's check is not needed. Actual sales are more like double the 17 Mil. MSM figures. Also the MSM was say 17 Mil in late July or early August.
    34 million, 17 million, 10 million, does it change the fact that a lot of new guns sold looking for ammo?

I do agree your number might be more accurate.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I must have been under a rock this last year or something??? I've not bought factory ammo in years so I guess I'm not paying attention to detail these days,I saw primers disappearing a few months back,but never though about a day when we couldn't buy 270 or 243 or 30-06 off the shelf. What happened?
    Biden Coup

Boolit Buddy

Ammo flew off the shelves when TP did. The common calibers disappeared first. I noticed in my local shops that .243, 25-06 and .270 ammo was still somewhat available. So, when I found a bolt action .270 in a pawn shop I bought it. I wanted to be able to shoot something if things took a bigger turn for the worse.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Get on youtube and look for 'modern ammo production'.

There is several videos of inside the ammo. factories.
    They're cranking it out as fast as ever,
    but look at the production rates coming off the assy. lines that are in place to feed all the new gun purchases,
    as well as supplying the 'normal' demand.

For what is involved to 'just build more factories'---
    It looks like it'd take well over a year or two, and cost at least 30 million dollars before the first 9mm dropped off the end.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Yuuuuge demand for .22, common handgun rounds, common "black rifle" rounds is consuming all the brass and primers they can make. Hunting ammo gets the short stick. Too late to tool up to reload...there's no primers.

During WW2 there was no centerfire ammo at all for civilians for about four years. In the small ads at the back of the Rifleman you saw people begging for primers, and others offering just 50 at a time. Some guys dragged out Grandpa's old smokepole and learned to hunt with it. (Black powder was never in short supply.)
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Yes Sir but wasn't the War the reason for that shortage? I could agree if it was a few calibers vs every caliber.
    Simper-Fi

War production consumed every bit of brass, primers, powder and bullets that the industry could produce. Our situation is unlike only in that it's a narrow sector of civilian demand that's soaking up all the resources, and even so is still unable to meet demand even in that sector. Like toilet paper, the distribution pipeline has been sucked dry, and refilling it, especially with the hunting calibers, will be a while. The WW2 drought lasted into 1947.

N.B. It was the war drought that prodded Fred Huntington and others to start swaging .22 bullets from rimfire cases, an endeavor which is still with us.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

The gov't did make sure that there were 22's available for rabbit and predator control in the Great Plains (so my Uncles, Grandad's and Grandmothers used to tell me. At one time; they had a nickel bounty on a pair of Jack Rabbit ears in the Panhandle of Texas during WWII according to them. Idea was to limit the loss (coyotes and the occasional Wolf that still existed in the GreatPlains) of sheep, cattle, and gardens (rabbit's eating them up). Of course; there was a lot of training using 22 LR's during the 1930's through WWII using rifles and even adapters for the 30 caliber machine guns.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    The supply chain was designed to meet normal demand with normal work weeks. Increased demand requires overtime. The current labor situation is not all the normal work force is going to work so those that do have to work overtime to meet normal demand. There is no reserve to meet higher than normal demand. Where I work if we hire someone it temporarily hurts production because you have to take someone off the line to train the new hire. A pro and a newbie working together training do not have the output of the pro working by himself. Actually a certain increase in the scrap rate is also expected with new hires. In times like these I fear buying as I know that quality controls are relaxed and what would be seconds or scrap is sold as first quality.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast