Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Spaghetti sauce!

Boolit Master

Spaghetti sauce!

I know everyone has their own ideas about this. I was raised on it, my sister's favorite. Ate a thousand meals of it, and cooked ten thousand of it. Venison, beef, pork and turkey. Good eats, all I can say. Served with salad, garlic toast, French bread, and a green vegetable, a good, wholesome meal. Love this stuff, and plenty of leftovers, unless many are around. Then doesn't last long.

Attachment 271716
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Wait just one minute. Show us a picture of the sauce and get us hungry, then fail to give us the recipe. Give up the recipe or forever keep looking over your shoulder. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

I ended up making a bunch this year. I tried two recipes. The first was a kind of standard American spaghetti sauce. It doesn't taste much different than the stuff you buy at the store. I also found a recipe for a classic true Italian marinara sauce. I love that sauce. It is more basic than the American version, yet seems to have more variety of flavor. The big difference is the American style used blanched tomatoes that break apart as you cook it. The Italian version uses crushed tomato. Heed their warning on using a skillet. I used a large pot for one batch, and it took about 6 hours to thicken where I liked.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...marinara-sauce

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Here is our hunting camp gravy recipe if helpful. Once you learn how simple it is to make your own traditional sauce you’ll never go back to American canned stuff.

Hunting Camp Gravy aka "sugo al ragù di carne"

Pour ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil onto the bottom of a 4-qt. kettle, and warm to medium heat, steaming, but not "smoking."

Add 1 cup each of diced onion, green bell peppers, four cloves of minced garlic and sauté together until the onions are clear

Add: one 28 oz. can of tomato puree. If you like "chunky" sauce it is OK to substitute diced tomatoes for the puree. We like the Sun of Italy brand, but Contadina is also good.

Then one 8 oz. can tomato sauce,

Then one 6 oz. can tomato paste and

1 cup. dry red Chianti, using the wine to rinse the empty cans to get all of their goodness out

Add a bay leaf plus a teaspoon each of dry basil, oregano, (1 tsp. of garlic powder if you did not have the 4 cloves of fresh garlic) and crushed red pepper (Use ¼ cup each of diced fresh herbs instead of dry if you’ve got ‘em)

½ tsp anchovy paste (optional, but VERY highly recommended – don’t tell anyone, it's our “secret”) does make a difference!

For meat sauce add 1 lb. of fully cooked, crumbled, drained ground chuck, Italian sausage, or 16 oz. package of thawed, frozen meat balls (optional)

1 tsp sea salt (½ is OK if watching sodium intake, but don’t leave it out, it still needs some)

Simmer 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally

Add ½ cup of half & half (to reduce the acidity from all that tomato!)

Add one 4 oz. can of mushrooms with their packing liquid and stir well

Now start boiling your pasta water and keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.

Makes two quarts of sauce.

Poach eggs on any leftovers the next morning and serve on leftover toasted garlic bread wedges for breakfast, but better to use it all up now to serve a kilogram or 2 pounds of pasta right now to a camp of four hungry hunters (stretch six if they are suburban "girly" men).
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-18-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Our recipe is simple. About 1/4 cup of oil, I use olive oil, but vegetable will work. About a pound and a half of meat. Brown well, add 1/2 cup each of onion, bell pepper, and celery. Add diced tomatoes, small can of tomato paste, and season with garlic powder, oregano, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Get it liquidity, kinda soupy. Let cook at a slow boil till almost to the thickness you want. Put lid on and reduce to a simmer. Let it cook for 1-3 hours at a simmer. Low and slow. Good stuff.
    Last edited by gbrown; 11-18-2020 at 11:53 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned

Love me some spaghetti! Mostly make it with burger and sausage with a bit of peperoni onion, fresh garlic and mushrooms. added these days but back when i was young my buddys allways came to my house for the super bowl and i made up spaghettis with chunks of venison steak and grouse and morels i saved just for it. It was a big hit. Used to make my own tomato Sause but its lots of work and the cheap hunts stuff is quicker and with some doctor up i have to admit it tastes better then the sauce i made from tomatoes

Me I like to hand blend roughly equal amounts of mild Italian sausage and hamburger. Fry up with some onions. Slice and saute 2 boxes of baby Portabella mushrooms. Add one jar of Ragu Momma's special garden sauce, a touch of fennel, a pinch of sugar, Italian seasoning, and LOTS of garlic. Simmer on low heat while the pasta boils.

Leftovers get portioned into ziplock sandwich bags and frozen. So I can always have a good solid meal with minimal effort required.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Spaghetti meat sauce

2 pounds bulk hot Italian sausage(homemade is best!)
    3-4 pints tomato sauce(I use home canned)
    2 small(5oz?) cans tomato paste
    1 large onion chopped
    4-5 large cloves of garlic chopped(or more, I am a garlic freak!)
    16oz slices button mushrooms
    Italian herb blend or basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, crushed rosemary(I cheat and use the Walmart brand $1 bottles of Italian seasoning if I am out of the good one from the Spice House)

Brown off the sausage then add the onion and mushrooms and cook until the onion is almost tender, then add the garlic and cook a bit, do NOT burn the garlic! Add the tomato paste and cook that until it changes in color(it will turn reddish brown), this is the mailard reaction and adds a layer of flavor. Then add the tomato sauce, your herbs, salt and pepper to taste(go easy on the salt, this is going to reduce) and simmer until it reaches your desired consistency!

I like this with garlic toast and a salad, heck with the pasta!

Garlic toast

5-6 large cloves of garlic crushed(this makes 2 servings for me... did I mention I am a garlic freak? Add more butter or use less garlic for your own taste)
    salt
    butter

chop garlic, add a bit of salt then crush and work this with a fork to make a garlic paste. Go easy on the salt, you can always add but can't remove! Add 1/2 to 1 stick of butter and stir to blend. Let this sit on the counter 2-3 hours for flavors to blend.

Cut thick slices of french bread, using the garlic butter butter both sides then place on a rack on a sheet tray and bake at 425 until toasted flipping it once. I use a lot of butter to make the bread buttery garlic tasty good stuff!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Here is our hunting camp gravy recipe if helpful. Once you learn how simple it is to make your own traditional sauce you’ll never go back to American canned stuff.

Pour ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil onto the bottom of a 4-qt. kettle, and warm to medium heat, steaming, but not "smoking."

Add 1 cup each of diced onion, green bell peppers, four cloves of minced garlic and sauté together until the onions are clear

Add: one 28 oz. can of tomato puree. If you like "chunky" sauce it is OK to substitute diced tomatoes for the puree. We like the Sun of Italy brand, but Contadina is also good.

1 cup. dry red Chianti, using the wine to rinse the empty cans to get all of their goodness out

Add a bay leaf plus a teaspoon each of dry basil, oregano, (1 tsp. of garlic powder if you did not have the 4 cloves of fresh garlic) and crushed red pepper (Use ¼ cup each of diced fresh herbs instead of dry if you’ve got ‘em)

½ tsp anchovy paste (optional, but VERY highly recommended – don’t tell anyone, it's our “secret”) does make a difference!

For meat sauce add 1 lb. of fully cooked, crumbled, drained ground chuck, Italian sausage, or 16 oz. package of thawed, frozen meat balls (optional)

1 tsp sea salt (½ is OK if watching sodium intake, but don’t leave it out, it still needs some)

Now start boiling your pasta water and keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.

Poach eggs on any leftovers the next morning and serve on leftover toasted garlic bread wedges for breakfast, but better to use it all up now to serve a kilogram or 2 pounds of pasta right now to a camp of four hungry hunters (stretch six if they are suburban "girly" men).
    Now This is a recipe ... no photo needed with this one !
    Printing copy for future meals.
    Thanks
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

something different for supper tonight. Back in my 20s i always had a super bowl party at my house and used to make spaghettis with venison steak cut up and grouse meat. It was a big hit. I shot a turkey the other day and have some turkey breast cubed up and took out a pack of venison cube steaks to cut up. Ill flour and fry the meat and toss it in the slow cooker with some sauce and let it cook all day. Not the same as i used to make but close enough.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses Chianti in their gravy. That's the only way to do it.