RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass disappearing

Boolit Buddy

Brass disappearing

I've been drawing 9mm Luger down to form 38 jackets and could always count on picking up a handful or two cases discarded by shooters. Last couple of trips to the range was disappointing. Not a case to be had. Either reloading is becoming more popular, or my eyesight isn't what it used to be!

Boolit Master
    Peeps saving for the big ball?

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Could be as hard as it is to get ammo I guess less shooters blasting away.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

A little over a year ago I was at the range and the local police and sheriffs dept were either practicing or qualifying. I just stayed out of their way until they left. Apparently, both organizations had changed from .40 to 9mm. I picked up over a 1000 cases and still left some on the ground(my back was beginning to hurt). I've done something similar several times but prior to this it was .40 cases. Got more of those than I'll use very soon.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I scrounged up about 60-70 casings the last 2 days of 308,30/30 and 243. And 1 40sw nickle lol. Not to shabby considering.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Maybe somebody just beat ya to 'em this time.

If so, this is the perfect reason why you 'need' to go back as soon as possible.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Yeah we have a lot of scrappers who scrounge up the brass. I know when they were out. They pick up the 22 and aluminum casings. One spot i check. I can't get to now. To rough a trail walk with my leg. A lot rocks. And the scrappers don't know where it is.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I found a box of 20 brand new Rem unprimed 25-06' today . Red box . Must have stumbled into someone's hording from the Johnson or maybe Nixon administration.

Load what ya got to load be happy to have it . It's like this is the first time this happened .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

You need to move to FL. Plenty of 9MM on the range here.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Banned

I can usually find quite a bit of brass at the ranges I frequent. It's best at certain times, than others. It's not always there, are one or two others who collect there. I still find a good bunch about every time, especially in the colder months.

Boolit Master

A lot less shooing going on where I live. I could usually pick up a wide range of brass but not now.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Moderator Emeritus

Judging by the unavailability for 9mm reloading dies from traditionally sources and the hyper-inflated prices for them on Fleabay, I'd say there are a few more people reloading 9mm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Oh, I was at the local range yesterday, Lots of brass on the ground...A recent CCW class, I guess? I picked up all the 45, but left all the 9mm for someone else...lots of 22LR and 22 mag on the ground as well, it makes me happy seeing that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Either reloading is becoming more popular, or my eyesight isn't what it used to be!

It's prolly this shortage...me thinks?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HP9MM View Post
    You need to move to FL. Plenty of 9MM on the range here.
    Which range? Not that I need any more.. just curious.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    A few years ago a shooting and reloading friend questioned me about reloading 9mm. He asked why I did when factory ammo was so cheap. At the time all I could say was it was a habit. Back then, if it could be reloaded I reloaded it. Soon after I bought a bunch of factory 9mm to go on the shelf with my reloads some of which are more than 10 years old now.

I sorted my 9mm brass and took all the odd head stamps and even some of the more common ones to the scrap yard. I still have a lot of brass. I also sold a lot of brass to reloaders. Don't fear the scrap yard said the segregated the ammo brass as they had a special buyer for it. Same deal with .223/5.56 I have not reloaded any but have a good stock of factory ammo. I think I also have plenty of brass if I want to reload along with 55 gr. fmjs and sr primers. I am not so much a brass hog at the range, let others have it. The range discourages you picking up other peoples brass. I think the range is colleting it for resale.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I usually pick at least 200% of the brass I shoot! Anything lying there is fair pickins'. That's why I have boxes of cal's I do not even load for. But who knows? Someday I may.

Boolit Mold
    I'm pretty lucky, I have a Rangemaster who pushes 9mm to my lane so I can pickup [he knows I reload as he does]. I usually pickup several hundred every week.

Recently I noticed they cut the usual full length cardboard for taping the target so you can only tape the target at the top leaving the rest of the target hanging free. It was then, I was told they had to cut it to prevent lead contamination of the cardboard by bullets passing through otherwise they could not throwing it in the trash.

Then I was informed picking up brass might become obsolete as it also might contains lead. Don't know how true this is but it's just what I heard.

Moderator Emeritus

dbern,
    Welcome to the forum.

There is Lead in primer compound, so it is present in spent primers...and I suppose there could be traces of lead in or on a spent case.
    For sure, be careful with the dust, if dry tumbling spent cases, that is (what I believe), is the largest risk in elevated Lead-blood levels in people who reload...although regularly shooting in a indoor range with poor ventilation (or poorly maintained ventilation) is likely more risky...but with current laws, that should not exist.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    OMG! There is Pb on the cardboard! There is Pb on the brass! There is Pb in the ground (where actually comes from)!

Better ban anything and everything remotely associated with those evil guns! - "Bozo" O'Rourke, future gun czar of the left.

This universal gun grab is just starting if Harris/Biden get control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast