WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Would it work?

Boolit Master

Would it work?

I see where sometimes powder coat is sticking to the inside of a barrel. Could powder coating be deliberately used to tighten up a worn barrel? I know many of you have some insight into this from other experiences.

I know, try and see.....I've not entered the PC arena yet. Just wondering....
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I see where sometimes powder coat is sticking to the inside of a barrel. Could powder coating be deliberately used to tighten up a worn barrel? I know many of you have some insight into this from other experiences.

I know, try and see.....I've not entered the PC arena yet. Just wondering....
    I think you'd be better off industrial hard chrome plating it if you're trying to tighten it up a bit. Not that you'd get much tightening up, but it would at least last for more than one shot. Be kind of hard to tell if it was working if you had to re-coat the barrel every shot. https://www.uschrome.com/hard-chrome...ng%20Thickness These folks had and example on their page showing parts that had gotten a .003" layer of chrome plating on the exterior. That would be enough to bring the interior of my 91/30 with the .316 barrel to .310(.003 on each "side" of the barrel). How long it would last would be another question, of course. I've never heard of anyone doing this to tighten up a barrel, but back in the day I knew a couple of people who'd done it to increase durability of the barrel. I just don't know how it worked out for them. Pretty sure it would cost more than I paid for the rifle to do it. It's a heck of a lot easier to cast boolits and size them to .316. Though the work to get the new brass to take those boolits might make up for the cost if I were to go there. Know anyone who does industrial hard chrome real cheap?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    PC will NOT work in a barrel. One shot and it's pretty much gone....if your boolits are sized correctly.

Just slug the worn barrel and cast/PC the boolits to fit it instead of trying to resize the barrel to fit the boolits!!!

Better look down a different path if you have worn barrels. PC is not your answer.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I should have said I have a stupid question.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master

Am I missing something? Chrome lined bores have been used on M16's since 1967:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

.... In February 1967, the improved XM16E1 was standardized as the M16A1.[9] The new rifle had a chrome-plated chamber and bore to eliminate corrosion and stuck cartridges, and other minor modifications.[37]

Chrome plating the inside of a barrel seems to have been solved some time ago.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Maybe I should have said I have a stupid question.
    That would be a question that was not asked that is how we learn. And if we did not try things we would not be where were at today.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Years ago in Phoenix Bud Trainor who was the owner of the number one midget car and owner of Arizona Hard Chrome. He would have been the man to go to for those answers. It was before I got into the shooting sports. Always a day late an a dollar short. ��

Banned

I've never had any PC left in any of my barrels. I have no idea if it would tighten up a worn barrel. Even if it would initially I would think it would wear down at some point. Personally after shooting a lot in one gun my bores stay very clean.

Boolit Master
    One shot and it's pretty much gone
    Why does the powder coat remain intact on soft lead?

Again I'm just thinking....not much to work with for me though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why does the powder coat remain intact on soft lead?

Again I'm just thinking....not much to work with for me though.
    Try it and tell us how it does! Simple as that. I do a lot of that.

How do you plan on getting even coat around and totally along the barrel? Shake-n-bake is sure out of the question! Powder would clump and be totally uneven from front to back and around the circumference. Electrostatic guns will not reach that deep.

Better stick with sizing your PC'd boolits to fit your worn barrel and have excellent success than trying to size your barrel to fit you castings.

Boolit Master
    When I get the chance I will. How do you know without trying that it won't work?

Is 400 degrees too hot for a barrel to endure for 20 minutes?

Now that is a question someone surely knows the answer.

Boolit Master

I had a 90 year old cast Iron Bath Tub Powder coated (Green Outside & White on top rail/inside). The tub was put on heavy duty paper over a large long pallet - upside down and strapped to the pallet. Moved it a couple of times on the enclosed porch using furniture mover 2ft x 3 ft flat carts. When we moved it into the totally restored bathroom; we discovered that the White Powder Coat paint along the top "Rail" edges had been scuffed in multiple locations when it was moved along the "Heavy Duty Paper".

The thrust of my comparison is that the PC on Cast iron was scuffed by moving; probably some dust and other abrasives had crept in; but it scuffed. I doubt that a PC coating adhered to the lands and groves would have a very long life. Just my dos centavos.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Good sounding comparison. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I get the chance I will. How do you know without trying that it won't work?

Is 400 degrees too hot for a barrel to endure for 20 minutes?

Now that is a question someone surely knows the answer.
    You are infringing on the area where you could slightly de-temper and remove some of the hardening that was done on you barrel.

And you only need 10 minutes after the powder turns shiny. This 20-30 minute thing has gotten totally blown out of proportion on here in recent times! 10 minutes @400F is all the powder maker's specify.

Not worth the risk in my book.