MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: #5 shot and Mec MK V

#5 shot and Mec MK V

has anybody here tried loading #5 lead shot on a mk 5 the question is does it meter well from the bottle

Thanks copdills

Boolit Master
    4s drop fine in 16 and 12, 8s can be aggravating in 410. Depends on the gage ( drop tube id ) but I would think it would be fine, except 410, then tap the tube as you raise the handle.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I have two 600 Jr.'s, a 12 and a 20, neither will meter #5 shot without jamming in the drop tube. I tap the tube with a wooden dowel while raising the handle to avoid the spillage of pellets. 7-1/2's work fine through both. I also load 2's and BB's but I scoop them by hand, no way they'll feed reliably.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

#5 and even #3 worked great for me in 12 gauge. It did have the supposed steel shot update, whatever that means.

Thanks Guy's I will be using this in my 12 ga press , I will most likely try it on my 20ga press and do what you said about tapping the drop tube as I lift the handle

Thanks alot
    copdills

Boolit Mold
    I have an old 600 jr. I got tired of the #5 shot jamming up, and now use an adjustable shot measuring scoop I bought from BPI. That works great.

Thanks Mike that's a good idea and I already have one

Boolit Master

I have a Mec Sizemaster and have the same problem on anything larger than #6s. My solution was to take an old .458 Win Mag case and trim it down until it held 1 ounce of #5s (loading a 20 gauge here). I pour shot in an old margarine tub and dip until it overflows and then clean off with a straight edge. Not fancy but works for a couple of boxes now and then. Then, I "double clutch" the bar and just load powder and manually pour in the shot. Adjustable dipper would work just as well but I didn't have one and improvised./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Thanks beagle