Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Pull down powder" for .50bmg

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for that!! Seems like the WC860 is good for .308. Not seeing any of the four listed for .223.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
    Thanks for that!! Seems like the WC860 is good for .308. Not seeing any of the four listed for .223.
    None of the 50BMG's/20mm Vulcan powders will be listed for .223. If one uses those slow powder in a .223 using a full case of powder and a Magnum Primer - there will be lots of unburned powder in the barrel and after a shot or two in the chamber from unburned powder. This is why I pointed you my post from several years ago using a "Duplex Load" with those powders in the .223's. That is the only way to get a full burn of the Surplus 50BMG style powders in a .223.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    None of the 50BMG's/20mm Vulcan powders will be listed for .223. If one uses those slow powder in a .223 using a full case of powder and a Magnum Primer - there will be lots of unburned powder in the barrel and after a shot or two in the chamber from unburned powder. This is why I pointed you my post from several years ago using a "Duplex Load" with those powders in the .223's. That is the only way to get a full burn of the Surplus 50BMG style powders in a .223.
    I'll be honest, I missed the load data before. That's interesting. Never heard of combining powders in a shell. But I do have a couple jugs of Unique so could certainly try it.

Seems like the WC860 is going to be the winner.

Thanks!

Duplex loading using the WC867 over Ramshot Silhouette has worked fantastic for me in the 45-70, 7mm-08, 350 Legend, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39 and some success with .223 as well. Especially in this time of no available components, I would certainly look at alternatives to off the shelf powders.

The Ramshot Silhouette does an exceptional job of getting the 867 burning and pushing any unburnt powder out of the bore. Yes, it is dirty but so is 2400 IMHO.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    Duplex loading using the WC867 over Ramshot Silhouette has worked fantastic for me in the 45-70, 7mm-08, 350 Legend, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39 and some success with .223 as well. Especially in this time of no available components, I would certainly look at alternatives to off the shelf powders.

The Ramshot Silhouette does an exceptional job of getting the 867 burning and pushing any unburnt powder out of the bore. Yes, it is dirty but so is 2400 IMHO.
    The normal distributor my dealer gets his stuff from is down to muzzle loader primers and none of the powders are showing on their screen. I'm guessing if I took the drive to the Cabela's in Hamburg it'd be the same story. So I'll grab a case of the WC860 and squirrel it away for when I start casting the 887 NOE bullets and then, if all goes well, I'll try the duplex with unique for .223.

Just because the concept is totally new for me, any tips on loading both powders? Seems like a super slow process of individually measuring both powders one round at a time and not something I can do on a progressive.

Thanks

Seems like a super slow process of individually measuring both powders one round at a time and not something I can do on a progressive.
    Thanks
    First world problems lol...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Surplus & Pull down are different. Years ago, some 50 BMG powder self combust. Started fire. Was recalled.

Moderator Emeritus

The normal distributor my dealer gets his stuff from is down to muzzle loader primers and none of the powders are showing on their screen. I'm guessing if I took the drive to the Cabela's in Hamburg it'd be the same story. So I'll grab a case of the WC860 and squirrel it away for when I start casting the 887 NOE bullets and then, if all goes well, I'll try the duplex with unique for .223.

Just because the concept is totally new for me, any tips on loading both powders? Seems like a super slow process of individually measuring both powders one round at a time and not something I can do on a progressive.

Thanks
    After you're done 'sparamenting, an industrious loader could probably rig up two powder measures on a Progressive
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    After you're done 'sparamenting, an industrious loader could probably rig up two powder measures on a Progressive
    So that two different powders could drop into the same shell within the same pull? I'd be interested to see something like that. Off to google/youtube to see if I can find such a creature.

Thanks

Boolit Master

So that two different powders could drop into the same shell within the same pull? I'd be interested to see something like that. Off to google/youtube to see if I can find such a creature.

Thanks
    No. Mount the fast measure so it dispenses it's load first, then a second measure with the slow powder. The fast powder needs to be in the base of the case with the slow powder on top of it. The powders should not be mixed, the full load should be slightly compressed so the powders do not move and mix or a small square of tissue could be used on top of the fast powder but that would slow down the process quite a bit.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 11-23-2020 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    I know people are trying to make a complex problem as simple or provide cookbook solutions. Those who use those simple explanations or cookbook methods should understand the limitations of their knowledge. Powder burn rate charts are just one such oversimplification. Burn rates sometimes are very pressure dependent. Also some powders only work as expected in a narrow range of pressures. Just because a chart says two powders have similar burn rates don't assume they will behave the same. Two powders can have a similar burn rate but that does not mean you use the same amount of them.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I know people are trying to make a complex problem as simple or provide cookbook solutions. Those who use those simple explanations or cookbook methods should understand the limitations of their knowledge. Powder burn rate charts are just one such oversimplification. Burn rates sometimes are very pressure dependent. Also some powders only work as expected in a narrow range of pressures. Just because a chart says two powders have similar burn rates don't assume they will behave the same. Two powders can have a similar burn rate but that does not mean you use the same amount of them.

Tim
    I understand what you are saying, and I also understand that I may not be experienced enough to feel safe/confident in screwing around with these duplex loads.

Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post

Tim
    Confucius say, "ask a simple question, get a simple answer"

Personally, I am 99% sure that is what today's Interwebs are used for
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    6 jugs of WC860 en route! Was also able to snag a brick of CCI primers with plenty left on the shelf....all by it's lonesome....tonight at Cabela's.

Was a ghost town in the gun dept. Depressing for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    Box arrived today....holy crap this is a ton of powder!! I feel like between shooting .50bmg and if I use it for 308win for the rest of my life, some is still getting passed down to my son. Haven't done the math on what 308 would take, but I'm confident I won't ever need more.

Box arrived today....holy crap this is a ton of powder!!.
    When only getting 30-ish or less charges per pound, I found out it actually goes pretty fast.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-08-2020 at 12:05 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I know people try a whole bunch of crazy off book stuff when supplies are hard to come by. but how exactly do you calculate how much of each powder in "duplex" loading.
    I guess it just a matter of time till we see someone getting blown up on youtube with a "duplex" load
    or maybe the new Lyman "duplex" load manual is still at the printers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12