WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Pull down powder" for .50bmg

Boolit Buddy

"Pull down powder" for .50bmg

Looking to buy more .50bmg powder so I can have fun long-term with my newest .50bmg. I've got LC brass (currently loaded), I'll be getting an NOE/Accurate mold, and I just got the LEE press kit.

In shopping around I see 8lb. jugs of "pull down powder" for sale. But a couple concerns....

1) Is there anything wrong or suspicious about it? It seems unbelievably cheap compared to other powders.

2) Admittedly I haven't done much digging yet but is there load data for the cast bullets for these powders? Didn't know if one powder stood out from the rest in terms of being a good match for cast.

Thanks!

Boolit Master

I have used several pounds of it for other calibers from 6.5 to 458. It has always worked fine. I use 8700 data for wc867 and wc872.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

I've bought several different pulldown powders from Jeff Bartlett at GIbrass.
    Nothing wrong or suspicious about his powders. He provides info about how to create loads for them.
    Good Luck
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I've bought several different pulldown powders from Jeff Bartlett at GIbrass.
    Nothing wrong or suspicious about his powders. He provides info about how to create loads for them.
    Good Luck
    Same here, GI Brass is a good source for pull down powder, brass and projectiles too when he has them. I haven't checked the site in a while, I may have to see what he has.

Boolit Master

(1) Not many people reload for 50 BMG or 20MM Vulcan - so those powders when pulled down at factory; or retrieved from large quantities of de-milled surplus ammo are not sought out by most reloads.

(2) I have loaded several different Rifle calibers from .224 up to 50 BMG with the surplus WC860/WC867/Wc870/WC872 powders. They are really slow in smaller cases; but there are methodologies for bettering performance. Do a search on the site for loads using WC860/WC867/Wc870/WC872 .

When powder gets scarce again; the 50BMG/20mm Vulcan powders can serve to keep shooting; although not the best choice-a lesser desirable option is better than no option. Buy 2/4/8 jugs at the prices for Surplus 50/20mm Vulcan powder - usually shipping and Hazmat are essentially same price as a single 8 pound jug.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    (1) Not many people reload for 50 BMG or 20MM Vulcan - so those powders when pulled down at factory; or retrieved from large quantities of de-milled surplus ammo are not sought out by most reloads.

(2) I have loaded several different Rifle calibers from .224 up to 50 BMG with the surplus WC860/WC867/Wc870/WC872 powders. They are really slow in smaller cases; but there are methodologies for bettering performance. Do a search on the site for loads using WC860/WC867/Wc870/WC872 .

When powder gets scarce again; the 50BMG/20mm Vulcan powders can serve to keep shooting; although not the best choice-a lesser desirable option is better than no option. Buy 2/4/8 jugs at the prices for Surplus 50/20mm Vulcan powder - usually shipping and Hazmat are essentially same price as a single 8 pound jug.

I'll be loading it with 887gr cast for the most part....if the mold works out. I didn't consider the versatility of the powder for other calibers. Sounds like it's best for rifle calibers over .223. I planned to buy 6 jugs. Just need to find more primers or figure out how to recharge them and I can shoot until the barrel wears out.

So given all that, does any powder stand out? I tried shooting him an email earlier today but it kept bouncing back. Gonna have to call tomorrow.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Let's reemphasize - it's not a good choice for calibers smaller than 50BMG; but it can be made to work as a choice when other options are not available.

Here is link on some work I did with WC860 in the .223 back in 2012 (we unfortunately see these cycles of Reloading components being limited/unavailable - which is why I explored using WC860 in .223 for that thread) Read a Lot on duplex loading before you begin doing duplex loads. There are other threads dealing wit WC860, WC872 in other calibers.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...3-5-56-Yes-But
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    “ it's not a good choice for calibers smaller than 50BMG”

.223, .243, no.

.308 or bigger, yes. It’s the only powder I use for 7,92x57. I use it almost exclusively in .308 and 30-06.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Surplus/default.html

A quick search of the site will bring up previous .50 BMG posts using WC870 and WC872.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I have been using pull down 5010 for several years now from 30/30 on up by using duplex charges. It's been working very well for me with boolits.

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    Casefull of 5010 with Lyman 314299 in 30.06 goes around 1600 fps makes an accurate target load

Boolit Buddy
    Mustang and Hamish-

Definitely going to be buying a large order of one of these.

While its primarily for cast and other 50bmg loads... I'd like to get whatever is most versatile overall (pistol, shotgun, rifle) if that even exists with these options. I see 860 was really focused on, but is that going to be the most versatile or is one of the others going to be the "Unique/Universal" of pull down powders?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

If you can find Unique, Universal, 2400 powders - Buy them even at currently inflated prices (Unless one believes the shortage will be short lived and after 3-4 months return to normal). These powers are good for cast in pistol and low velocity rifle.

If you run across Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Winchester 231, 700x, Clays, or Trailboss you should add these powders to your Powder Locker as available/your wallet can afford. These will provide loads (Classics like Bullseye, Red Dot, and 231 being preferred as lots of load data available from old and new sources) for your pistol needs (and in some case can do low velocity rifle loads). They also represent powders that can be used as "Boosters" in loads using the 50BMG/20mmVulcan loads.
    Mustang

Boolit Buddy
    If you can find Unique, Universal, 2400 powders - Buy them even at currently inflated prices (Unless one believes the shortage will be short lived and after 3-4 months return to normal). These powers are good for cast in pistol and low velocity rifle.

If you run across Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Winchester 231, 700x, Clays, or Trailboss you should add these powders to your Powder Locker as available/your wallet can afford. These will provide loads (Classics like Bullseye, Red Dot, and 231 being preferred as lots of load data available from old and new sources) for your pistol needs (and in some case can do low velocity rifle loads). They also represent powders that can be used as "Boosters" in loads using the 50BMG/20mmVulcan loads.
    So none is any better than the other pull-down-wise?

Boolit Master

emt1581:

go to the top of this or any other page on this thread and you will see a block entitled google custom search, and below it Advanced Search.

In that block type in Powder Burn Rate. This will produce a lot of active and archived links in Cast Boolits you can be steered to on Powder Burn Rate discussions and links to burn rate Tables. I would recommend at this juncture you spend as much time as you can over the next week or so reading and digesting the information you will find; you'll find the Sage Wisdom of many listed there and reference material. This will posture you to understand how all those different Powders relate to one another; and if you see a powder better determine if it can meet your needs.
    Mustang

Boolit Buddy
    emt1581:

go to the top of this or any other page on this thread and you will see a block entitled google custom search, and below it Advanced Search.

In that block type in Powder Burn Rate. This will produce a lot of active and archived links in Cast Boolits you can be steered to on Powder Burn Rate discussions and links to burn rate Tables. I would recommend at this juncture you spend as much time as you can over the next week or so reading and digesting the information you will find; you'll find the Sage Wisdom of many listed there and reference material. This will posture you to understand how all those different Powders relate to one another; and if you see a powder better determine if it can meet your needs.
    This is what I was wanting to do, but at the same time hoping to avoid, because right now I have my choice due to everything being in stock. Might not stay that way over the next few days.

Boolit Buddy

Last .50 bmg. I loaded was with 215g./IMR5010/LC brass/CCI primer and a A.P.I. (silver tip)

Boolit Master
    bought 50 pounds of wc852 when clinton got elected, from Pat McDonald. Loads everything but .223. similar to 4831

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
    This is what I was wanting to do, but at the same time hoping to avoid, because right now I have my choice due to everything being in stock. Might not stay that way over the next few days.
    **** You will be much better served trying to get Jeff on the phone. He is a one (older) man operation who moves between 3 small buildings when he is on premises.****

Mustang is giving you very good advise.

WC860, 870, 872 is going to give you exactly what you want in 50BMG. I would assume that WC857 would be a good choice for .50 cast.

The above will give you 1700fps to full power loads in anything in the battle rifle cartridges or bigger, both cast and jacketed.

They will not work any other way.

All the fast powders that Mustang mentioned will get you all kinds of different load combinations. Lower velocity loads with small amounts of powder are where they shine.

Let me make very clear what Mustang was trying to say nicely. Research into Powder burn rates and individual powder suit abilities in various applications is the most important thing a reloader needs to learn if you’re wanting to load anything smaller than .308.

Cases in point.
    Many use 2400 for reduced loading in various cartridges. Personally, I like it best using it where it at least mostly fills the cartridge space. I have seen too much velocity variation in medium sized cases with less than 50% fill.

Unique. A wonderful powder that will do most anything you want in small and medium cartridges up to its pressure limits, but let’s face it, it’s dirty. 700x will do most of the same things, and is one of the cheapest powders on the market. Still a little dirty though. There are other choices that burn cleaner for more money.

Green Dot, a personal favourite for handguns, 16 and 20ga.

231, 110/296, Red Dot, Blue Dot, all are good powders. You need to sit down and make a list of what you Want to do and then spend time searching and seeing what comes up for those loads. You’ve got the entire internet to learn from,,,,,
    Last edited by Hamish; 11-18-2020 at 09:49 PM.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    **** You will be much better served trying to get Jeff on the phone. He is a one (older) man operation who moves between 3 small buildings when he is on premises.****

Mustang is giving you very good advise.

WC860, 870, 872 is going to give you exactly what you want in 50BMG. I would assume that WC857 would be a good choice for .50 cast.

The above will give you 1700fps to full power loads in anything in the battle rifle cartridges or bigger, both cast and jacketed.

They will not work any other way.

All the fast powders that Mustang mentioned will get you all kinds of different load combinations. Lower velocity loads with small amounts of powder are where they shine.

Let me make very clear what Mustang was trying to say nicely. Research into Powder burn rates and individual powder suit abilities in various applications is the most important thing a reloader needs to learn if you’re wanting to load anything smaller than .308.
    Jeff and I spoke via email earlier yesterday. He said any of the 4 would be fine and that jacketed or cast didn't matter. I'm starting to get the impression that there's really nothing about any of them that will stand out from the others in terms of .50bmg, cast, or other rifle cartridge capability and that they all have options. Or am I mistaken?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast