Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 "medium" loads / casting questions

With a pc'd 405 gr boolit, both blue dot and red dot in the 1100 fps range shoot a bit better in my Henry than unique. The blue dot and red dot loads shoot to the same point of aim at 75 and 100 yards. Plenty powerful for deer. No kick, not a lot of noise, cool barrel. But unique will work as will H 4198 for a bit faster load. If you want 1500, try 4198. My boolits are not gas checked, I don't cast but buy my 405's.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Attachment 271780 If you have any on hand, here is a list of loads using 2400 powder that a member here sent to me. As far as whether or not to use a GC, my Marlin and my son's Ruger #1 both shoot the GC'd boolit more accurately than a plain base boolit but there is no leading at all with either design. I solved the dilemma of needing one or the other by having Tom at Accurate Molds make a 4 cavity with 2 of each. They are 461405D and 460405A designs, 2 of each and I powder coat but they didn't lead with normal lubing. Just remember that fit is paramount.
    Confusing picture. You stated 2400 powder but the page clearly says Reduced Unique Rifle loads.

Static line, you are absolutely correct, and thank you for catching that. I must have been having a senior moment. Does anybody know what manual this was taken from? I would like to have the entire book.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    12 gr of tightgroup behind a 350 gr hard cast slug works very well in my cva scout. Recoil is light and accuracy is very good out to 125yds. Accuracy kinda falls apart past that range. I have taken 5 whitetail so far with the load. 3 fell where they were standing, the other two made it 30-40 yards. The lee 405 grain shoots very well out to 200 or so with the same 12 gr of tightgroup but I get some leading with this bullet. My gun also appreciates this bullet on the hard side. I abandoned it for the 350 grained with the big meplat for hunting.

Boolit Master
    I wish I could give a stellar recommendation, but I'll have to wait. I've got a couple of hundred rounds loaded up of powder coated/gas checked RCBS 405 grain boolits with new starline brass and 37.0 grains of Reloader #7. But that crate-o-cartridges is waiting for me to finish putting a new barrel on a Sharps replica, so I can't say how they'll shoot. I do remember a buddy of mine gave me a batch of RCBS 300 grain slugs a long time ago, and those lighter boolits were real easy on the shoulder. If you want to get in more and better shooting, try a smaller charge of faster burning powder AND a lighter boolit.

Do yourself a favor. Call Wolfe Publishing (Rifle and Handloader Magazines 1-928-445-7810) and buy a copy of Handloader Magazine August 2007 #248.

There is an article by Brian Pearce on loading the .45-70 for Marlin rifles. There are literally hundreds of loads contained in that article from mild to wild and everything in between. IMHO it is the quintessential source for data for Loading the .45-70 cartridge with a wide variety of boolits and powders to different levels, (Pressures) by someone who actually knows what he's doing, and has more experience with this round than all of us put together!

It will be the best $10 you will spend on this project. I used that issue as toilet reading for a couple of years and I have easily read that entire article 100 times.

hope this helps you out?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-21-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Do yourself a favor. Call Wolfe Publishing (Rifle and Handloader Magazines 1-928-445-7810) and buy a copy of Handloader Magazine August 2007 #248.

There is an article by Brian Pearce on loading the .45-70 for Marlin rifles. There are literally hundreds of loads contained in that article from mild to wild and everything in between. IMHO it is the quintessential source for data for Loading the .45-70 cartridge with a wide variety of boolits and powders to different levels, (Pressures) by someone who actually knows what he's doing, and has more experience with this round than all of us put together!

It will be the best $10 you will spend on this project. I used that issue as toilet reading for a couple of years and I have easily read that entire article 100 times.

hope this helps you out?

Randy
    I ordered this Saturday, but it is only available via a CD-ROM now. Shipping cost me more than the CD.

I used to shoot 8gr of Unique with an over powder wad under a 300gr cast for CAS before they banned rifle calibers. It makes about 1000fps.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12