Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to carry PPBs while Hunting?

Boolit Man

How to carry PPBs while Hunting?

For those that hunt with PPBs, how to you carry the extra rounds in the field, if they are loaded as I was told then only a very small portion of the bullet is in the case and its only finger tight, so its a pretty fragile round to be carrying around. I had some roll off my table onto the carpet and the bullets popped out of the case on a couple of them so just curious how you carry your spare rounds? With my greasers its no problem, they are down in the case and have a decent crimp on them so no problem putting 4 or 5 in my jacket pocket to carry.
    Chris W.

Boolit Master

I would recommend a "Cartridge Wallet" type solution. Pics of various options can be seen at this Amazon Link:

https://www.amazon.com/cartridge-wal...rtridge+wallet
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

an end mill pr drill tube would squeeze together and hold them together while in your pocket. 5-6 tubes should cover the day. Another option might be to carry cases with wads and compression, and patched bullets in a separate container and assemble as needed. Like breech seating or a muzzle loader.

I believe most guys target and hunting ammo with PP may be slightly different. slightly different neck tension and a little more bullet in the case. My hunting ammo for these calibers is also slightly more neck tension with greasers than true match ammo.

Boolit Man
    The tube ideal is good, and could easily make one of the leather ammo wallets but would just have to be careful when extracting a round from it so as not to lose a bullet out the case, not always easy to do when in a hurry trying to reload. The other option is to set them a little deeper in the case and add a little more neck tension, think I'll look for some of those tubes mentioned, I have something like that I use for my muzzleloader that I keep my measured powder charges in so I can just pour and load when hunting. May just end up using my grease groove rounds for hunting till I come up with something. Probably work better in the field anyway as no wiping between shots.

Boolit Grand Master

Make friends with a couple tradesman ( machinist tool and die makers,cutter grinders, ) and youll have an over supply of them.

If making an ammo wallet make it with a insert plastic or wood like a fuse holder with top and bottom rails the right spacing for shell length so the rounds pick straight up and out and dont need to slide out.

Boolit Man
    I'm not familiar with the tubes your talking about but then again I don't know any machinist either but I'll do some searching. I like the ideal of a wood insert, I think a piece of wood that about a 1/2" of the case went down in would work good, I think I'll make one of them anyway and look for the plastic tubes. Thanks for the ideals.

When you say shallow seated I take it your talking about a PP bullet.
    For hunting using a PP bullet I completely do it different than I would for matches or range time.
    My hunting bullets are a little less in diameter or with a reduced shank so it can be chambered in a fouled chamber.
    Also I seat the bullet deeper in the case and use a generous taper crimp, but not a roll crimp, so I can shake the round bullet down so it son't fall out. This will let me carry it in my pocket to belt if I want.
    Also, I use a Vellum paper instead my regular cotton or wood pulp. Vellum paper is a little stiffer and also water don't affect the patch like the onion skin paper.

This is how I carry mine. works great and they are handy. Just smear a little jojoba oil on the patches to make them somewhat water proof. I have scuffed up a couple of the patches on the butt stock cover. Still could camber the round if need be. I generally look at them when I get back to camp and just swap them out if I think I need to. Only swapped a couple in the last 10 years.
    Trapper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0202.jpg  

Boolit Man
    Trapper, you must have them crimped in a lot tighter than finger tight. If I carried my current ones that way the bullets would fall out of the cases on half of them, really like that belt you have there, might have to make me one. Thanks for the replies.
    Chris W.

Boolit Master
    Just a thought. How about a belt carried stiff leather cartridge box over a wood block drilled to hold the individual cartridges. With a flap over the top the cartridges couldn't fall or bounce out. Shouldn't need to hold too many maybe five or six at most.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.mcmaster.com/end-mill-ca...tyle~twist-on/

This is the style endmill tube I would use in your situation.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

mongo40,
    I just do a slight taper crimp with a lyman taper crimp die. I can still pull the bullet by hand. Never had one fall out while hunting. I usually hike over 30 miles in a season. I can tell you if I chamber a 2nd round after firing some times when I go to eject the loaded round the bullet stays in the fouled chamber. I have to tap it out with a cleaning rod. This cartridge belt was designed around my 45-110, so I can put my 45-70 rounds in there and leave the paper patch under the leather webbing. That works really well for protecting the patched bullet.
    Trapper

Boolit Grand Master

I could see 1/2 inside diameter water PVC working nicely. The rim would hang on the PVC wall and plop the cap on. Heat bullet end and close it up some so cast will not slide.
    Plastic electrical conduit would be lighter and work well in a cartridge case.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    mongo40,
    The basic problem you have is trying to use a target load for hunting.
    The hunting load is different from a target load, so just rethink the hunting load.
    Keep on hav'n fun!
    MikeT

Boolit Buddy
    You could use a reproduction Civil War cartridge box, with a wooden black in it, drilled to take 8 to 10 of your cartridges.

You guys make things so difficult

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    You guys make things so difficult
    Some times we all do but that's what's great about this site. Everybody got the own ideals on what's the best way to do anything.
    Sorry I'm not much help with carrying PPC in the field.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Man
    I'm no expert on PP bullets at all, but for hunting rounds I was carrying I look into just smearing a little ring of glue on them.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Some times we all do but that's what's great about this site. Everybody got the own ideals on what's the best way to do anything.
    Sorry I'm not much help with carrying PPC in the field.
    This keeps us ole farts from going batty with this covid thing locking us down
    Stay well..........Kurt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    This keeps us ole farts from going batty with this covid thing locking us down
    Stay well..........Kurt
    Yep, but I'm not locked down due to covid thing. Just doing a little reading
    Simper-Fi
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast