MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: WTB: .429 Desert Eagle Brass

Boolit Buddy

WTB: .429 Desert Eagle Brass

My buddy got a new toy and the ammo is scarce. I'm looking to buy some .429 Desert Eagle cases, either new or once fired. I'd like to scrape together a couple of hundred cases, but I'm willing to consider any amount.

Boolit Master

Offered only to help in your search, here or elsewhere, and I'm not giving up any of my MANY times fired 44 mag brass, but I offer this.

44 Mag brass is 44 Mag brass. The .429" is a bullet diameter for a 44 Mag, as is 430" and .431" in jacketed bullets (and up to .434" in cast bullets). They all use the same 44 mag cases. The same is true for an auto loading Desert Eagle, revolver or rifle in 44 mag, they all use the same brass.

Escape clause just in case I'm all wet on the Desert Eagle, which wasn't an issue in 1990 when I had access to one.

Edit added. It seems I AM indeed all wet on this one. My apologies...

OVERVIEW: 429 DESERT EAGLE

Magnum Research has developed a new, fast, powerful .44 caliber pistol cartridge. The 429 DE (Desert Eagle) was designed to enhance the famous and powerful Desert Eagle platform. This cartridge has a 25% velocity increase and 45% energy increase over a 44 Mag (240 — 6" barrel). It has a velocity of 1600 FPS with 240 grain bullets and 1750 FPS with 210 grain bullets.

The 429 DE features 30 degree shoulder that it headspaces on and a neck long enough to properly hold and crimp a 240 grain bullet without set back under recoil. Based on the famous 50 AE cartridge, the 429 DE is made with Starline brass, and loaded by HSM in Montana with Speer and Sierra bullets.

The 429 DE pistol (DE429SRMB) has a stainless steel slide, a stainless steel frame with Picatinny bottom rail, and a 6" stainless steel barrel with integral muzzle brake and black appointments. The pistol ships with a .50AE 7-round magazine.

The 429 DE Mark XIX spare barrels with Picatinny style accessory rails are available in a variety of finishes. The barrels are 6" and are compatible with any MK19 USA or Israel Desert Eagle Pistol with a wide .830” rail on top of the barrel and uses a 50AE magazine and bolt. Barrels will be available in the following options: carbon steel with Black finish (BAR4296); carbon steel with Burnt Bronze Cerakote™ (BAR4296BB); carbon steel with Brushed Chrome finish (BAR4296BC); carbon steel with Polished Chrome finish (BAR4296PC); stainless steel with integral muzzle brake (BAR4296SRMB).
    Last edited by oley55; 11-17-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I checked with starline, but didn't see any brass available to public even though they make the brass for Magnum Research. Can you form 429 DE from 50AE brass or is the case lengths different. You might see if someone can send a few 50AE brass to check the process. Otherwise it seems you are out of luck on a proprietary caliber with no aftermarket support at this point.

Boolit Master

I checked with starline, but didn't see any brass available to public even though they make the brass for Magnum Research. Can you form 429 DE from 50AE brass or is the case lengths different. You might see if someone can send a few 50AE brass to check the process. Otherwise it seems you are out of luck on a proprietary caliber with no aftermarket support at this point.

Boolit Buddy
    Even if the case is a little short, necking down .50 AE should work OK because it headspaces on the shoulder.
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

Boolit Master

I cant find the numbers but photos of both 50AE and 429DE appear to be same case length. Sometimes cases lengthen slightly when necking down. Might be a little short or a little long and need trimming.

But looks like the 50 AE brass might be the best bet. Not sure how necking down 0.070" in one pass will work. Might be fine and might give a wrinkle. I have made 221 fireball out of .223 in one pass with minimal case loss. That is ~0.140" in one pass.

Boolit Buddy
    @oley55:
    I had the same thought when my buddy asked about the caliber, and with the same result I just found out about it last week...

@BK7saum:
    I did find one article where someone formed 429DE out of 50AE brass so I can go this route if I have to when my dies show up. (I do have 50AE brass).

I do appreciate the help, thanks to you both!

Boolit Master

Your welcome. I am one of those guys that would like to have correct headstamped brass if possible, but have no qualms about forming it if financially advantages or a practical necessity. I would call starline directly and ask if they could sell you some. If not,, then 50AE it will be. Good Luck

If 50AE is too short, consider .458 Socom brass. It was originally based off 50AE basic brass. Might work better.

Boolit Buddy
    one time bump...

Boolit Buddy
    I did a review of the .429 for handgunner magazine and we got cheaper than dirt to send us ammo, I ended up buying the gun and got another 400 rounds of ammo from themAttachment 272018

In our experience with shooting the 429 we had a lot of hang ups on the HP bullets but the soft point cycles fine
    Last edited by WinchesterM1; 11-23-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Boolit Master

How close is the .429 to the Auto mag 44 ??

Boolit Buddy
    I happen to have a Desert Eagle with a 10" 440 Corbon barrel which are very rare right now. Not sure why DE discontinued the caliber. It uses standard 44/cal bullets and the ballistics are much higher than the newer caliber. I have the dies to reform the 50/AE cases into 440 Corbon cases. The new caliber looks similar to the 440 Corbon but someone would have to do their research. Corbon actually used reformed 50/AE cases for their loads, have an original box of them. I wouldn't think any one would make these cases due to the very limited demand. You would have to buy very expensive factory rounds if you could find them.