Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope shortage??

Scope shortage??

I know it is hunting season in the good ole' USA but are we having a scope shortage? I have been wanting to try a Vortex Crossfire II with the V-plex reticle, nothing fancy, and there are no 3x9x40's to be had. I tried all the suppliers that I know of and nada, not 1 in stock any where. I called Vortex and the man I talked to said "let me find a dealer for you". After a few minutes of him searching, he says, nope, none to be had. Sooooo, I start looking for a Burris Fullfield 3x9x40 with their Plex reticle and none of them either. Are we hoarding scopes now as well as primers?? Or is it just the ones I am looking for?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

I would suspect TWO majority impact issues here:

(1) More Firearms being bought over last 6 months or so; resulted in more Scopes being required/sold; coupled with the manufacturing challenges of shutdowns and constraints by States.

(2) The tariffs and other constraints placed on China. China is the primary source of manufacturing for moat cheap to mid grade sources.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    There are a lot of shortages of hard goods because of stifled manufacturing due to COVID-19 constraints world-wide.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    ^^ I think #1. The volume of guns, ammo, reloading , accessories, etc the past year is astounding. Couple this with covid and the effects it has on the supply change make availability a problem. The demand for certain things far out way the supply. Try buying a deep freeze these days too.

Boolit Master

Have you tried Natchez Shooter Supply? I'm on their mailing list and, almost daily, receive discount offers on scopes. Haven't kept their recent email ads but IIRC have seen offers on Vortex within last couple of weeks.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I didn’t think of Natchez. For years they wouldn’t sell to people in surrounding states
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Two words - Hawley-Smoot. Betting low price Chinese glass is going to be scarce until a history lesson needs to be relearned.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Natchez is out as well. I thought that maybe the Burris scopes might be easier to find since they are made in the Philippines but not so.

Like I said on another “shortage” thread, this one just feels different than any we have previously experienced.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Midway, I just got a flyer showing Vortex scopes in stock. Unless they
    have sold out you might find what you need.

Boolit Master
    maybe its just me but seems like leupolds are much easier to find. about a year ago I was bent on getting a vortex diamondback rimfire. I went to at least a dozen places before finding one actually in stock. and that was before all this shortage madness began. I finally found one at a bass pro in Pennsylvania on thanksgiving week.

Boolit Man
    I'm going to guess that some or all of the components are made in China so that's why you aren't finding any. Just a guess

Quote Originally Posted by mongo40 View Post
    I'm going to guess that some or all of the components are made in China so that's why you aren't finding any. Just a guess
    You are probably right on that point. I tried Midway first but it’s a no go there as well. I finally broke down and went to flea bay and found one for the $149.00 price with free shipping and bought it. Now to decide what to put it on. I’ve got a home built 308Norma and a FN 30-06 that needs a scope. I’m betting the Norma will tell if it lives or dies!
    Last edited by murf205; 11-18-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Odd. I've bought two Vortex scopes in the last couple weeks. Had no problem with stock.
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-riflescopes.html
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Euro optics

I'm A Honcho!
    Leupold VX Freedom Line is roughly the same price and I feel they are better scopes. The Bushnell Nitro Scopes are as much value as I think I have ever purchased in a scope. There are better scopes than Vortex for similar money.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by james23 View Post
    ^^ I think #1. The volume of guns, ammo, reloading , accessories, etc the past year is astounding. Couple this with covid and the effects it has on the supply change make availability a problem. The demand for certain things far out way the supply. Try buying a deep freeze these days too.
    On the chest freezer it took a few months for my commercial grade 19.4 cu to come back in stock. I paid dearly for that commercial unit but was worth it to me.

We are in the middle of, hell, I don't have a name for it. Part of it is pandemic, part of it is a coup.
    We are going to have spotty availability for everything.

Boolit Master

When Biden takes office his buddies in China will get the ball rolling again.

Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    When Biden takes office his buddies in China will get the ball rolling again.
    I think he has become a better gun and ammo salesman than Obama. That 1 comment about "why do you need more than 100 rnds of ammo" got the ball rolling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast