Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: pure lead?

Boolit Master

pure lead?

im needing some pure lead for making minnies for a 1861 Springfield.However i know many people who sell lead and claim its pure and am leary of buying because it could be from a boat keel or something other than pure.Can yall point me to someone or place that it will be pure and what is a fair price per lb?

Boolit Master

any of the vendor sponsors would be a good start. you can get away with range lead for your minies, its not pure but your gun wont notice the difference.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I believe that you'll get better performance from your Minie's if you use pure lead. At the top of this page you'll see an add for Rotometals, one of the sponsors of this site. They'll have pure lead, a little over $2 per pound, shipping included. Buy it!

https://www.rotometals.com/cut-in-ha...ight-included/
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I'd find a roofing company who would sell me all the lead roofing jacks they replace with the plastic ones when they put on a new roof for their customers. I got about 2000 pounds over 6 years. As far as I know they are pure lead.

I bought three of these galvanized trash cans at Wal-Mart and just put the flattened jacks in them with the lids on tight for storage. Three full cans will keep you busy all day smelting them down into ingots. 😆 😆

Boolit Master

I would agree with MOA. I was fortunate enough to find some that way. Got 3 piles of them. Took a while to smelt.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    in general sheet and pipe is pure lead.If you can find a scrap yard that will sell you lead i am sure there will be some sheet and pipe there at some point
    seems dependingon where you are or who you are dealing with the price is btewwn 40 to 80 cents per lb.

Boolit Master
    I would get roof jacks if you can, they are very soft, almost pure. You don't say where you live but roofing season is over up north so get jacks while the getting is good.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Just remelted 50+ pounds of roof jacks yesterday!!! Good Lord, that stuff is soft! When you mark it with letter stamps, gotta be careful to not drive the stamp WAY deep in the muffins of lead!!! With all the hurricanes damages around here, I’m in scrounging mode again! Got some Linotype, so y’all know where that’s going! Be safe, and good luck to all!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Roof jacks or stack vents as we used to call them and roofing lead are just about almost pure lead. Only part that isn't really pure is where they are soldered together. Same thing goes for cable sheathing. Frank

I have 500-600# of pure lead if you have some lino or #2 to trade. It is all from lead sheathing, vey soft. Lino must be in type form, I have gotten screwed before with so called ingots. Seriously, who melt lino into 10# ingots? Lyman #2 can be ingots but nothing over 2# each.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Like the others have said, roof jacks, sheet lead and most pipe are nearly pure except for the soldered seams. Cable sheathing is soft lead but it most likely runs to about 98.5% pure. It also has soldered seams in places. Stick-on wheel weights are also very soft except for one type of them thats more like clip-on weights.

Roto-Metals is also a good source.

Boolit Master
    Easy enough to tell drop a 1 pound ingot. If you hold it up a few inches and can hear. Drop it, drop some range lead. Try and drop some wheel weights. All have a ring sound but the pure lead, has a dead thud. Harder it is the more it rings.

Other way is to get some about 3/8 to 1/2 round or square. Bend it, if hard to bend, it's going to be hard mix of something. Pure lead or almost pure easy enough to bend and if it breaks in a drawn bend. Harder the lead/mix the harder the it is to bend and it snaps.

Not a big source, but at the Home Depot, Lowes type stores, their departments have a clean up schedule.

You can often scrounge free torn bags of cement (for example) from the dept. manager---
    and new roof jacks that are too smashed for them to sell.

You won't need overload springs on the truck to take them all home, but getting 2-3 on occasion is pretty good when they're free.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.