MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 PBcastco

Thread: Ballard Action rebarel/rebuild

Boolit Master

Ballard Action rebarel/rebuild

My brother-in-law, an engineer with enough equipment to furnish 2 machine shops, died and I got a Ballard receiver marked J.M. MARLIN NEW-HAVEN CONN.U.S.A. BALLARD'S PATENT NOV.3 1?86. Some of tiger system is there and he had started to reline the barrel with .25-20 WCF, it was a .40-65 Everlasting. Barrel is cut so I am looking for a smith that could rebuild the action and rebarrel it. I would like a 30" barrel in either .32-20, .38-40 , or .38-55. What barrel maker would you use and which of the 3 calibers would you go with. What twist would you ask for, for the caliber you like. The caliber I shoot now is the .38-55 with a 1-14 twist in a High Wall. I don't like light weight .45-70 anymore as it hurts to set down and shoot 100 rounds. I can't shoot over 200 yards anymore either as 75 year old eyes just don't work good enough for longer ranges. I know a few years ago a smith that worked for the new Ballard Rifle Co. set up shop in Wyoming but don't remember who or where.

Boolit Buddy
    Need to determine if it is a forged or cast action. Cast actions are getting a reputation of not strong enough for anything bigger than 22 lr. Been discussed a lot in the ASSRA forum.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several I can recommend My C sharps High wall in 38-55 has a 1-14 mcgowen on it. A real performer little leading or fouling issues. My cpa is a 40-65 with a douglas 1-16 i think thats also very good. My brochardt has one of BRCs barrels by Al Story on it 45 cal 1-18 very accurate and is a choked barrel. Have a couple very accurate green mountain barrels. Mist are tapered octagons or half round contours 30-34" lengths.

I would look at the BRC barrels and Talk to Al bout them

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    beshears .... if the rifle was originally a 40-65, it was not a cast iron action as were many of the early JM Marlin Ballards
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Warren, why not just finish the 25-20. It is an excellent 200 yd caliber
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    John Boy I don't know how good the liner is and if it is attached good enough to shoot. I have 5 lever guns in .25-20 which is the reason he went that way. Any way I go I have to have a smith do it as I don't have any machines though I have a degree in engineering, also I am 75 and retired and doing myself is to much like work as wood is where I like to play any more.

I've used Green Mountain barrels on several Ballards, Winchester, and Stevens. No problems with accuracy and would use the same again. Personally, I would go with a 32-40. Pleasant to shoot with excellent accuracy potential. Again, you need to determine if it is a cast or forged action first. It is likely a forged action since it had a 40-63 barrel on it but that's assuming it was the orginal barrel???

Wyoming Armory is the company i think you trying to remember. Some of the Cody Ballard Rifle Co. started it up after the closing.
    Phil